Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Feeling the growl again

This one was batch 30.  I brewed it on President's Day, 2012.  I had one bottle left and decided to drink it yesterday, on President's Day 5 years later.  Age did not hurt it one bit.

Awesome.

Not beer, but I made a bit of an investment in my winemaking.  A small winery a couple hours from here decided they no longer needed their stemmer/crusher.  So I dropped a grand on it and brought it home.  No more manually stomping grapes and hand extracting the stems for me!!!  All stainless steel and 220V driven.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

#neverforget

The cooked oatmeal, ready to go

The grain selection

Focus on the chocolate malt

Grinder setup, with a load of grain to grind

Heating the water for the mash

Pot of grains, including the pale malts and the cooked oatmeal

Let the mash begin!

Steeping the roasted malts and grains on the left, mashing on the right

An early check of the specific gravity

Draining the wort from the mash. Look at that inky blackness

Close in on the wort, right before adding the molasses

After the sparge, heating for the protein break

60 minutes of hopping with the Cascade and Golden

30 minutes of hopping with the Hallertau

A final check on the specific gravity predicts up to 7-8% alcohol in this heady brew

My house smells delicious!!

Prince of Fatness

#neverforget

I certainly haven't forgotten how tasty that was. 7 years. Wow.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I've been slacking.  Time to brew again. The beer quoted is drinking well so I want to do another big beer SMaSH. I am taking this coming Monday off and will brew then.

The process will be the same as above with a change in ingredients. Malt will be Light Munich. Hops, German Tradition (3oz). Yeast, Wyeast German Ale (1007). I pitched a starter last night.

I expect this to be a malt bomb, an Alt on steroids.

Bottled this up Friday. Lots of malt but those Tradition hops balanced it out nicely. Really pleased with this one. FG was 1.012 giving me 9.7% ABV.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I still have a few bottles.

That beer ended up being aged in a carboy surrounded by mud after my house was smote by the big landslide in 2010, just a short time after I brewed.

I certainly haven't forgotten how tasty that was. 7 years. Wow.

Feeling the growl again

I still have a few bottles.

That beer ended up being aged in a carboy surrounded by mud after my house was smote by the big landslide in 2010, just a short time after I brewed.

Just saw the pic recently of when we stopped by and tasted the Mud Aged Stout.  I do recall it was very, very tasty.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Question for the pepper experts.

I will soon be brewing a mole stout.  I will be using cocao, cinnamon, vanilla, and habanero peppers.  This will be an 11 quart batch.  My plan with all of these spices is to steep them in hot water for a couple of hours then adding the mix in at flameout, allowing them to steep even longer.  I will half the peppers prior to steeping them.

So I am looking for feedback on how many peppers.  I bought two habaneros.  Is that going to make the beer too hot?  I'm looking for moderate heat.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Short answer: there is no way to know.

I have heard of people using 2 habaneros for 5 gal. I have heard of people using 1. I have heard of people using a handful. Alcohol concentration can influence this as well.

Also, extraction is better with dried peppers.

Also, no reason to pre-hydrate. Just dump it in.

Also, don't add anything until after fermentation is complete. You can get some off flavors and can lose some of the adjunct character if you add prior to or during fermentation. Beers are always aged on these adjuncts, not fermented with them.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

Also, don't add anything until after fermentation is complete. You can get some off flavors and can lose some of the adjunct character if you add prior to or during fermentation. Beers are always aged on these adjuncts, not fermented with them.

Not looking for an argument but this is contrary to my experience.  I've always added adjuncts (and hops) at flameout and am really pleased with the results that I get.  My theory is that because I take my time chilling the wort the adjuncts get a fair amount of steeping time.  Pre-steeping is just something that I thought of doing as an experiment, just to see what would happen if I extended the steeping time.  Anyway, in the spirit of sticking to what works for me, that's what I'll do.

Likely I will go with the two peppers, split in half.  I was debating between one and two.  While that may make it hotter than I would like, I've read nothing that says that this amount would make it undrinkable.  In the end, it's just a batch of beer.

And of course when the time comes I'll send you a bottle and let you be the judge.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I mean specifically for a mole stout.

Not looking for an argument but this is contrary to my experience.  I've always added adjuncts (and hops) at flameout and am really pleased with the results that I get.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I believe you have tasted a bottle of the version I did.

And of course when the time comes I'll send you a bottle and let you be the judge.

Prince of Fatness

I mean specifically for a mole stout.

OK, that's fair.  Still, I'm comfortable with my method and in researching it has been done that way with good results so for this exercise that's what I'll do.

Your dry pepper mention is noted, and I have read that roasting the peppers will enhance their effect.  I will likely roast the peppers ahead of time.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, for mine I dried them and lightly roasted them in a toaster oven.

Prince of Fatness

So I'll go with 2 habaneros and will lightly roast them prior to brewing.  Brewing tomorrow evening.

Mole Stout

5.5 lbs US 2 Row

1 lb Light Munich

1 lb Flaked Barley

6 oz Roasted Barley

6 oz Chocolate Malt

6 oz CaraFoam

6 oz CaraMunich II

6 oz Blackstrap Molasses (oz by weight, add with 10 minutes left in the boil.

1 scoop coffee also added to the mash

1 oz Northern Brewer (~10% AA) hops (60 minutes)

Adjuncts (all pre-steeped then added at flame out)

2 oz cocao nibs

3 - 4 cinnamon sticks, broken up

2 vanilla beans, slit open

2 habanero peppers, lightly roasted and halved

SafeAle US-05 dry yeast

Mash 152 for 60 minutes.  Boil for 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Primary for ~4 weeks then bottle.

Not at it at all.