Drinkers with a Running Problem

Tax increase proposed on beer (Read 428 times)

an amazing likeness

fyi, in case you'd like to inform your elected representatives on your opposition or support.... http://beeradvocate.com/news/2046897 mta: Folks, interesting little talking-over-each on the MPG....but do you realize they are talking about adding tax to our BEER! BEER! All BEER -- not just the Bud and other crap. This calls for a widespread panic.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Better to tax soft drinks.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Better to tax gas. did and I were talking bout this the other day. Obama wants to require all cars and light trucks to average 35pmg, which would be awesome...but it's still not enough (did pointed-out that estimates suggest that there will also be MORE cars on the road, so we'd still be using the same amount of fuel). Tax gas and it would automatically encourage people to make wiser buying choices and not buy cars that are bigger than what they NEED and less efficient. Manufacturers would produce vehicles that are more efficient because that's what people would be buying. Leave beer alone. Beer is good. Beer doesn't harm the environment or require buying ingredients from other countries. Beer should be free, really... Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

They tried something similar in Indiana recently. The board responsible for building new stadiums in Indy is in deep debt so they tried to raise taxes for the whole state to help pay for it. That failed and now they are trying to raise taxes locally. http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=10279657&nav=9Tai

Ross

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the MPG change is +10, not +35. Taxing soft drinks would do a LOT to raise money and to stem the rise in obesity, which itself is contributing to the massive increases in the cost of healthcare. You would make money and ultimately save money.

Prince of Fatness

Tax gas and it would automatically encourage people to make wiser buying choices and not buy cars that are bigger than what they NEED and less efficient.
              It's not that simple. People may not be able to afford these new cars (at least right away), and they have few alternatives. Here in North Jersey, unless you work in New York City there really isn't a public transportation option. At least not one where the cost and time incremental is reasonable. I am one of the lucky ones that can carpool a few days a week. This is a gray area where people have a choice but then again they don't. Recreational driving is one thing. Getting back and forth to work is another. Unfortunately for many people there just aren't any other alternatives other than driving. In those cases all you would be doing is adding another burden. I am all for the whole "green" thing and try to do what I can to help the cause where I can. I do a better job now than I did a year ago and I would think that I'll be better at it a year from now. I just don't see where raising the gas tax would help the cause all that much. MTA: But I agree. Lay off of the beer. Wink

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the MPG change is +10, not +35.
                Not +...an average of 35mpg, not in addition to current standards, but 35mpg would BE the standard. At least that's what WGN radio stated yesterday. This concurs.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not +...an average of 35mpg, not in addition to current standards, but 35mpg would BE the standard. At least that's what WGN radio stated yesterday. This concurs.
                  This is starting to get un-fun. You get those olives yet, zoom? It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Cool

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not that simple. People may not be able to afford these new cars (at least right away), and they have few alternatives. Here in North Jersey, unless you work in New York City there really isn't a public transportation option. At least not one where the cost and time incremental is reasonable. I am one of the lucky ones that can carpool a few days a week. This is a gray area where people have a choice but then again they don't. Recreational driving is one thing. Getting back and forth to work is another. Unfortunately for many people there just aren't any other alternatives other than driving. In those cases all you would be doing is adding another burden. I am all for the whole "green" thing and try to do what I can to help the cause where I can. I do a better job now than I did a year ago and I would think that I'll be better at it a year from now. I just don't see where raising the gas tax would help the cause all that much.
                    I agree with you in part...but gas prices have been relatively high for several years now...yet I STILL see brand new massive SUVs tooling around with a single driver behind the wheel. People CHOOSE these vehicles, even though there are plenty of smaller ones to purchase and the # of more efficient vehicles is growing every day. No one even has to go with an all-out hybrid. Simply purchasing a compact car would go a long way. And a person could buy 2 fuel efficient small vehicles for the price of some of the monstrosities on the road. The new Kia Soul starts at $14. For people with larger families a mini-van or station wagon is still more fuel-efficient than an SUV, but people are still choosing cool over saving on fuel costs. In most cases cash-strapped persons could buy a smaller car used for well under $10k. People simply don't want to change, but have no qualms whining about gas prices...duh. Don't want to spend a fortune on gas, trade in your beast of a vehicle for the smallest car you can reasonably use. Or purchase a small vehicle specifically for commuting, saving the large vehicle for family transportation. Heck, when I was young our family car was a Volkswagen Rabbit. This was for a family of 5 and we drove all over Eastern US and Canada in this car. Granted, this was pre-child car seats and a family of 5 could not fit in anything that small now...but a family of 4 sure could. Americans are morons.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is starting to get un-fun. You get those olives yet, zoom? It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Cool
                      Ha, I gotta get more olives...and V8! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

People simply don't want to change, but have no qualms whining about gas prices...duh.
                        We agree on this, and the whiners don't get any sympathy from me. I still think that the long term answer lies more in public transportation, alternative fuels, etc. I drive a VW diesel that gets 50 MPG and carpool, so what is taxing me more going to do?. Hell, if you're going to tax why not raise the gas guzzler tax on the SUVs? At least that way folks that are driving the economy cars are not penalized.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We agree on this, and the whiners don't get any sympathy from me. I still think that the long term answer lies more in public transportation, alternative fuels, etc. I drive a VW diesel that gets 50 MPG and carpool, so what is taxing me more going to do?. Hell, if you're going to tax why not raise the gas guzzler tax on the SUVs? At least that way folks that are driving the economy cars are not penalized.
                          Heh, our VW Rabbit was a diesel. Awesome, loud, stinky little car. Big grin Yeah, I think a tax on SUVs would work, too, though I wonder how they would apply that. Would small SUVs also be taxed? Maybe they'd apply it to anything on a truck platform. Though there are hybrid SUVs that get gas mileage that is as good as some cars on the road, so I think that's where it would get tricky. People might be tempted to spend less on an SUV that is non-hybrid if they are going to be taxed (perhaps ignoring the fact that in the long run they will spend less on gas).

~ Sarah Kay

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

Finally something I can post about here!  I had a VW Rabbit Diesel.  Loved that little car, even though I had to plug it in in the winter.  It was loud, shook, rattled and rolled along, but never got stuck in the snow.

I wasn't much into the political talk until I finished my 40oz Olde English '800' .  Definately tax soda, anything but beer.