Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Greetings!

Someone was nice enough to link this forum over in the RWOL refugee camp, and I had to jump aboard.

Avid homebrewer, I only do extract, live in a condo. Haven't brewed in a few months due to just being flat out too busy, but I'm already looking at recipes from Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew and will be cranking it up after the holidays.

Here's a few of my recent brews.

Outsourced to India Pale Ale.

Outsourced to India Pale Ale

Pembroke Pale Ale 

Honey Kolsch

Yellow Snow Pale Ale

Prince of Fatness

Avid homebrewer, I only do extract,

Surprised that someone here who shall remain nameless has not chimed in saying you should brew all grain. Heh.

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of Black IPA over the weekend and can smell the hops coming from the blow off tube.  Got a big dry hop planned for this one.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

Hello all,

Like irishguy, I'm another RWOL refugee.  

Been brewing for a few years now but don't get around to it as often as I'd like.  Probably will start another batch around Christmas.  Trying to figure out what I want to make.

Last batch was a "Thai PA"--a pretty straightforward American-style pale ale brewed with some grains of paradise and (the Thai part) a healthy handful of kaffir lime leaves at flameout and then dry "hopped" with some more kaffir lime leaves:

Turned out quite tasty but it is not aging particularly well--I think the volatile oils from the kaffir lime leaves are breaking down or something.  But this is a good problem to have, since the solution is just to drink the rest soon.

That looks tasty, you brew all grain? 

mmmm. makes me want to start brewing again.

Get off my porch

gusgordon

So far I've used extracts but also steep some grains prior to the boil to get a bit more complexity in the brew. We have a local company that makes its own extracts, so they're pretty fresh at least.  I hope to move on to all-grain brewing in the future, but as I learn and begin to tinker with my own recipes this seems to be the way to go for now.

Yeah, I always steep grains, I've wanted to go all grain but can't bring a burner in here.

This  Amarillo IPA came out great, nice and smooth. I plan on making this again.

3 lbs 8.0 oz       Extra Light Dry Extract   (3.0 SRM)
                8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
                3 lbs 8.0 oz       Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for15 min]
                1.50 oz             Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
                1.00 oz             Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
                1.00 oz            Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
                1.00 oz            Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
                1.00                 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
                1.0 pkg             Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I always steep grains, I've wanted to go all grain but can't bring a burner in here.

What kind of stove do you have?  As long as you can bring about 4 gallons to a rolling boil you can do small all grain batches right on the stove.  I do 11 quart batches inside all of the time.  Gets me a case of beer.  I have the setup to do 5 gallon batches in my garage but I find that I do more brewing inside these days.

Not at it at all. 

Haven't tried 4 gal rolling boil yet, usually to 3.25  or 3.50 partial boils. I think I'll try it this weekend to see how long it takes to get a rolling boil going.

Prince of Fatness

Nobody else brewing?  Well, I am.  Tonight I bottled my Holiday Ale.  I brewed it in early July and the spices have mellowed nicely.  6 weeks or so of bottle conditioning and I'll be set.  Here is a shot of the beer being racked to the bottling bucket...

The holiday season is upon us, and I have close to a case of this leftover from last year.  I think that it may be time to break out a few bottles.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I have done a few of these and since I started it has gotten me to keep my recipes simple.  I just brewed one over the weekend.  Light Munich and Saaz.  Should be interesting.

Just got done bottling this.  The Saaz hops compliment the Munich malt nicely.  Still a malt forward beer though, despite using 3 oz of hops in a 11 quart batch  This is the second time that I brewed an all Munich and it leaves me wondering how many hops it will take to make a beer considered hoppy.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Just got done bottling this.  The Saaz hops compliment the Munich malt nicely.  Still a malt forward beer though, despite using 3 oz of hops in a 11 quart batch  This is the second time that I brewed an all Munich and it leaves me wondering how many hops it will take to make a beer considered hoppy.

If it disappoints you...you have my address.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

If it disappoints you...you have my address.

Have you tried the coffee porter yet?  You should.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Mr MattM

Crap.  Found this thread.  Crap.

Former homebrewer who got rid of all the equipment years ago...

Yes, all grain.

Yes, gristmill.

Yes, 200,000 btu propane 'cajun cooker'.

Yes, immersion chiller.

Yes, dedicated refrigerator for the lagers.

Hell, I used to keep generations of my favorite yeasts going in the fridge...

Cripes, why did I stumble into this forum and this thread?

be curious; not judgmental