Drinkers with a Running Problem

Pumpkin Beer Recipe (Read 635 times)

Prince of Fatness

I'm not going to worry about the gravity reading.  Generally I come close to what the recipe calculates, and I use 70% efficiency.  I'll take a reading when I rack it to the carboy just to see how far along it is.

I usually shoot for 5 1/4 gallons, and we got a little more this time.  I didn't notice that the flame was not on as high. 

I will let you know what it tastes like in a couple of weeks when I rack it to secondary.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never worry about the gravity.  But I am always curious.

Prince of Fatness

I never worry about the gravity.  But I am always curious.

Yeah, I'm curious, but not enough to bother taking the lid off, etc.  Plus, it's already chugging along at over a bubble a second. 

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Update.

22 days in the bucket today, so I racked it over to the carboy.  Filled that sucker to the top and had to pour out a couple of glasses.  Oh well, it ain't my beer.

Took a gravity reading ... 1.010.  Looks like it is mostly fermented out.

Aroma.  Damn, when I opened the bucket you could definitely smell the spices.  Not as much as brew day, but still.

Taste.  It definitely tasted like a pumpkin beer.   I had my kid sample, he said the same.  I definitely did not over spice.  A couple months in the carboy and it will be fine.  As for the squash,  I am not sure how much that came into play with the flavor.  Maybe a little.

I think that this will be a decent beer.  If I had to do it again I may up the spices just a tad, but I have no complaints. 

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

We bottled over the weekend.  The spices mellowed quite a bit, but they are there.  I would use more next time.  It definitely tastes like a pumpkin beer.  I am not sure how much of a squash taste there is ... seems like some is there.

Anyway, the son in law is pleased to have a couple of cases of it.  He's going to wait until September at the earliest to have some.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I finally got around to having one of these over the weekend.  I really didn't get much of a taste from the squash, although my son in law said that he could taste it.  I think that we spiced it pretty well.  The spices mellowed quite a bit with aging but are definitely there.  All in all I would say that this one turned out pretty well.  The son in law wants to brew this one again next year.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

FFS, I brewed that pumpkin beer 7 years ago?  I bring this back from the dead because my son is getting married in October and wants to brew a pumpkin beer for the occasion.  I am tweaking the recipe a bit.  This is what we will do...

Pumpkin Beer (to be named later), 11 qts

3.5 lbs US 2 Row Pale

1.5 lbs Light Munich

.75 lbs Aromatic

.5 lbs Caramunich III

6 oz Black Strap Molasses (add late in boil)

2 lbs (after roasting) Butternut Squash (roast beforehand, cube, and add for entire boil (see below))

1 oz Tettnang hops (60 minutes)

Wyeast 1968 London ESB, 1 qt starter

Spices

Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg (amounts tbd and will depend on my mood)

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil for an hour.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Bottle after about 4 weeks.  Use brown sugar to prime.

I got the idea to add the squash to the boil instead of the mash here.  I was intrigued so that's what we'll do.  H suggests to sprinkle brown sugar on the squash when roasting but I'm not doing that.  I am adding molasses to the boil so I'll get that flavor from there.

Brewing this the last weekend in August.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

We bottled the wedding beer a couple of days ago.  It came out nice.  Spices are more on the nose than the palette.  It's a nice pumpkin beer.

The kid had some nice labels made for it.  We put them all on and I noticed that the year of their wedding day was 28 instead of 18!  We must have looked at them 100 times before then.   I was able to take the labels off easily and he will have correct labels made.

Not at it at all.