Drinkers with a Running Problem

Filling growlers (Read 510 times)

Prince of Fatness

I've been meaning to ask this.  What's the deal with breweries only filling growlers from there place?

So I'm up in Portsmouth, NH last month for the Seacoast Half.  I figured while I am up there I should hit a couple of microbreweries (Portsmouth Brewing Co. and Redhook).  I took a couple of empty growlers up there to bring some beer home but they wouldn't fill them.  The growlers were from the local microbrewery that I frequently go to.  So in order to get a growler full I have to buy one of their growlers and pay to have it filled.  I passed.

I googled this just to see why this was and I got a variety of answers.  It's the law (has to be labeled correctly).  They just want more money.  They want their label on the growler for advertising.  A few breweries fill anything, etc.  Anyone know for sure why this is?

If it's just money they lost a sale, so I don't get it.  Why not charge a couple of bucks extra for a fill if it's not their growler?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The law.  All packaged alcohol must be labeled.  A growler is a packaged alcohol sales mechanism.  Growler sales also require a special license, and I imagine the licensing fees and administrivia make it prohibitive to distribute growlers from other locations, although I believe that some places do this.

Prince of Fatness

I'm thinking that's it, too.  Mostly.  I get the feeling that laws vary by state.  That makes the most sense, because if I were a business owner the law would be one of the few things that would force me to turn down a sale.

Not at it at all. 

I'm thinking that's it, too.  Mostly.  I get the feeling that laws vary by state.  That makes the most sense, because if I were a business owner the law would be one of the few things that would force me to turn down a sale.

Man, filling up a growler, what a treat.  I used to live by the Brew Pub in Gaithersburg, and would go up there all time, tie up my dog, and run in for a refill.  

Good times.  

BTW, Savannah, the old Shepherd ( god rest her soul )  loved beer.    LOVED it.  

- Anya

Prince of Fatness

I will be filling 4 growlers at the Weyerbacher Brewery in Easton, PA on Saturday. I have to be ready for Christmas.  I love that place.  I get to drink free samples while my growlers are being filled.  There are also cases on sale there.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the Brew Pub in Gaithersburg

Dogfish Head?

Prince of Fatness

Dogfish Head?

They are in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  I was down there last year and had dinner at their brew pub.  Good stuff.  Coincidentally I was out tonight and picked up a six pack of their Chicory Stout.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep.

But they have an outlet in Gaithersberg, I believe.

Dogfish Head Alehouse

www.dogfishalehouse.com

800 West Diamond Avenue
                  Gaithersburg, MD 20878
                  (301) 963-4847

Coincidentally, I just enjoyed a Chicory Stout.  Rather enjoyed it, I should add.

Prince of Fatness

They have a big following, although some of their beers are a bit too hoppy for my taste.  They were at a local brewfest I went to a couple of months ago and toward the end when everyone is trying to get their last swigs in the Dogfish station was like a mosh pit.  Hilarious.  The servers had to be half in the wrapper by then.

I fell in love with the Indian Brown Ale that day.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They have a big following, although some of their beers are a bit too hoppy for my taste.

They are designed to be that way.

This.

And This.

Prince of Fatness

They are designed to be that way.

Yeah, I've read about that.  Never understood it though.  All those hops just kill your taste buds.  If I wanted that I would just take a handful of hops and chew on it for a while.

Some hops is good.  All hops, not so much.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Read my second link...

Prince of Fatness

OK, I read it, and this pretty much says what I was thinking....

They are not therefore session beers, brews that you can drink in multiple pints over the course of an evening.

I've had the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, and as they say it is a little overbearing but is balanced.  When I mix a case I'll occasionally throw a bottle or two of it in.  I'd never fill a growler with it unless I had a few people to help me drink it, because one glass of that is my limit.  I also haven't noticed many other people filling their growlers with it.  They make a cork and caged version of it which is better.  They say that they sweeten it up so that I can be aged longer if desired.  I've sampled it and noticed that the edge was taken off more with that version.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Coincidentally, I just enjoyed a Chicory Stout.  Rather enjoyed it, I should add.

I had one tonight.  It was very tasty.

Not at it at all. 

Yep.

But they have an outlet in Gaithersberg, I believe.

Dogfish Head Alehouse

www.dogfishalehouse.com

800 West Diamond Avenue
                                Gaithersburg, MD 20878
                                (301) 963-4847

I lived a block away from this brew pub, for a long time, but moved in 2002.  When I lived there, I don't think they had it. 

- Anya