Drinkers with a Running Problem

Early Pumpkin Beers (Read 29 times)

Feeling the growl again

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between pumpkin beers and Oktoberfest? Had a couple good Oktoberfest this weekend by Goose Island and Half Acre. Yum.

Oktoberfest is also known as Marzen.  It is a traditional fall beer, but has nothing to do with pumpkins.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Yeah Octoberfest is an amber lager, brewed using German malt, hops, etc.  No spices or adjuncts are used (there may be exceptions to this but I cannot recall any). Great fall lagers, they are.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I will be in Munich the second week of October.  I am still disappointed to know that this will be several weeks late for the real Oktoberfest celebration.  I can only hope they have some Marzen left over.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

So for the second year in a row I went to the Weyerbacher Brewery to pick up some beer and they were giving away 4 packs of their Imperial Pumpkin Ale with each purchase. It appears that the demand wanes late fall just as quickly as it ramps up mid summer.  I wonder if they'll cut back on how much they brew next season.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

So for the second year in a row I went to the Weyerbacher Brewery to pick up some beer and they were giving away 4 packs of their Imperial Pumpkin Ale with each purchase. It appears that the demand wanes late fall just as quickly as it ramps up mid summer.  I wonder if they'll cut back on how much they brew next season.

I think the pumpkin beers are a really small niche.  Maybe I am unique, but I find only a small percentage of them worthwhile.  Complicate that with the seasonality...

Prince of Fatness

I think the pumpkin beers are a really small niche.  Maybe I am unique, but I find only a small percentage of them worthwhile.  Complicate that with the seasonality...

I don't think that it is a niche so much.  People go ape shit when pumpkin beers start coming out.  Almost all of the big breweries brew a pumpkin beer of some sort.  Weyerbacher sells a ton of it.  There are some other beers that they released seasonally that they discontinued so they could brew more pumpkin beer.  I think that since they start selling it earlier in the season (well, before the season really) that by the time October comes around people have either had their fill or have stocked up on it and don't need to buy more.  That and they have moved on to the holiday seasonals, which now come out in early November.  Next time I'm over there I'll have to ask them about it.

MTA: Either way I'm not complaining.  I'm not a big pumpkin beer fan but Weyerbacher's is pretty good.  So, a few free ones works for me.

Not at it at all.