Drinkers with a Running Problem

Sam Adams Octoberfest (Read 343 times)

Minor rant: I went to the store today to do my contribution to the household shopping (pick up beer). I like to try different beers, but when the seasons change, I pick up a case or two of the Samuel Adams seasonal offering. I usually pay between $25-$27 per case. So, I plop my case of Sam Adams Octoberfest on the counter and the cashier says "$31.95." I asked him to check the price, but he was sure of it, and said he's had a number of complaints. Surprised Now, I've had Economics 101 and I understand supply and demand (and yes, I bought the beer), but does it sound to anyone else that Jim Koch is getting just a tad greedy? Just seems odd to me, what with all the really good microbrew competition out there. Then again... I bought the beer, so he has $32 of my dollars... which'll probably be the last he'll get from me. It's more fun exploring, anyway!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

JVol44 - $32 for a case of beer is a 'special' in Canada. Seriously. I just paid $23.50 for twelve bottles of Heineken... True, there are many 'buck a beers', but they're shitte...
        Sam Adams Octoberfest is my favorite beer and thats not right to be paying $32 for a case. I think you might be buying your beer at the wrong place. My guess is the price was so high because of the store and not Jim Koch. If you can find Sam Adams at wal-mart or a store that isn't just a liquor store I'm sure it will be much cheaper. In central Indiana i have not been able to find it yet they are still getting rid of the Summertime but when I can find it I will be drinking as much as I can.
          Tuf, I'm glad I'm not north of the border - you made me feel a bit better! m_fetro, Unfortunately, in my state (PA) we can't buy beer at stores such as Wal-Mart, or grocery stores. We have to go to businesses that specifically sell beer by the case (Distributors), so they kind of have us over a barrel. The prices are pretty consistent between the distributors, but it just stuck me as odd that Sam Adams would be 16-20% higher (for comparable quality beer) with all the competition around. I guess I really should just shut up and drink my beer. After all, it comes out to $1.30 per beer, and in a pub you get soaked for $5-$6 bucks for a pint.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

You do have a good point that its still much cheaper than drinking at a bar. As for stupid liquor laws, in Indiana we can not buy alcohol on Sundays. Which sucks on long weekends when people like myself do not plan ahead and buy enough beer, so last night I was forced to sit around and not have a beer.