Drinkers with a Running Problem

Beers we don't like (Read 758 times)

Ostrich runner

Guinness, like most beers and even soft drinks, is made to local tastes.  I think the bottles of Guinness Export in much of the Southern Hemisphere is much better than the stuff in Ireland.  It's also 9%.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

Yes, I should have qualified my statement.  As Trent would say, in the states we have "Guinness".  I would love to try a real Guinness.

Not at it at all. 

Leinie's Berry Weiss, of course.  Worst. "beer". ever.

+1 again.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

All that said I just don't like real hoppy beers in general.  I like a hoppy beer, but subtlety does it for me.  When the hops just push all of the other flavors out of the way, err not so much.

I agree. All the "super hopped" IPA's, etc just don't do it for me.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Last night my husband came home from the beer store with these.  I told him about the Lager talk here, his response was that all beer taste nasty he just drinks it for the buzz.!!

The Harp is mine.  Smile

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Any beer that tastes like perfume.   I had a French beer once, called Pectar, and it was the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

I believe that Pectar is a sparkling pear "beer" (really a wine), much like hard cider (think Woodchuck).  Unlike cider, most pear beers are fairly nasty.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Harp is mine.  Smile

Harp is good.  Oh, and I like hoppy beers.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Head Procrastinator

Bluepoint Blueberry Ale

My brother brought it over saying he wanted to bring me a local brew.

I told him to NEVER bring me beer with fruit in it again or I wouid disown him.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bluepoint Blueberry Ale

My brother brought it over saying he wanted to bring me a local brew.

I told him to NEVER bring me beer with fruit in it again or I wouid disown him.

Fruit beer seems to either be really good or really bad.  I like Magic Hat's #9, but I also LOVE apricots (I love eating dried ones while I drink it).  If I didn't like apricots I would probably not really like or dislike it.

~ Sarah Kay

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Pete's Wicked sucks.  Hard. 

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Queen of 3rd Place

Last night my husband came home from the beer store with these.  I told him about the Lager talk here, his response was that all beer taste nasty he just drinks it for the buzz.!!

Once upon a time in college we (underfunded and underaged) scored some Red, White and Blue in cans. It was made by Pabst, and was their low end brew. We couldn't even gag it down just for the buzz.

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

PBR is hipster beer.

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

PBR is hipster beer.

Seriously? Where? Damn, I feel so out of touch...

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Seriously? Where? Damn, I feel so out of touch...

Yeah...but probably not for long, since it's becoming so mainstream.

~ Sarah Kay

A buddy gave me a Bud light wheat. In politeness, I gagged it down.

Bad.

As for Guinness and "Guinness"

From the Guinness site:

Does the Draught GUINNESS® in the USA come from Dublin?

Yes

Is GUINNESS® the same in each country?

Generally yes but GUINNESS® does have to use local ingredients so, for example, in Nigeria the government wish to promote the use of Sorghum, which grows better than barley. Therefore GUINNESS® is made using sorghum in Nigeria. A stronger GUINNESS® called Foreign Extra Stout is also brewed in Africa and other places.

Why does GUINNESS® taste different outside Ireland?

a) If it relates to the different kinds of GUINNESS® available then:
                                Historically there were different kinds of GUINNESS® available.

Today the range of GUINNESS® products available includes:
                                GUINNESS® Draught - the creamy pint, available in keg, bottle and can formats. Typically sold in Europe, the US, Canada and Australia.
                                And as GUINNESS® Draught Extra Cold - available in keg. This is exactly the same as GUINNESS® Draught, but served a few degrees cooler.
                                GUINNESS® Extra Stout/Original - available in bottles and cans.
                                GUINNESS® Foreign Extra Stout - stronger in taste and more bitter than GUINNESS® Draught. It is especially popular in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean.

I think it mainly has to do with bars getting the nitro/CO2 mix wrong. And perception/bias/your brain. If you are drinking Guinness Draft in the US or Ireland, it should taste the same if properly served. If memory of 2.33 years ago, when I last visited Ireland, serves me, it tastes the same.

But I would love like to get some of that Foriegn Extra Stout. (7.5, NOT 9%, btw.)