Drinkers with a Running Problem

Should I? (Read 242 times)

Go Pre!

heading away to our summer place again this weekend. Feeling like a libatious weekend. Into the heart of Marathon training I be...what to do what to do. Saturday calls for 8K easy and Sunday is 25 Long around our hilly lake road. hhmmmmmm.... I think it looks like the formula of 1 booz-a-licious drink then 1 tall glass of water, rinse repeat. Smile
    Scout7

Well, I must say, beer is an integral part of my daily habit. I know that makes me sound like an alcoholic, but it's not quite that level any more. Personally, I enjoy beer. It enhances the meal, it helps me to unwind. I have no problem with two or three through the course of the evening. And this is unlikely to change. Heck, I'll have two the night before a big race. Best bet is like you said: drink water before, during, and after. Make sure you take in other food besides the beer. And try to engage in other activities while enjoying your brew. Like talking, reading, or whatever. It'll slow you down.

Go Pre!

other activities...that is choice Smile I can just picture me, sitting there, doing nothing but drinking. Beer water, beer water, beer water.... Watcha doin Dave? Nothin, just drinkin'. Wanna chat? Nope, just drinkin'. Yes
        Scout7

*snerk* Hey, sometimes, you wanna be lost in your own thoughts, and your own drink. At least, sometimes I do..... I drink alone. Yeah, with nobody else. And when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Go Pre!

I feel this way for long runs. People ask me how I can run 20, 25, 30 + KMs alone. But I love it. My thoughts and no one arguing (except that other little voice in my head!) So, if we like to drink alone, and do long runs alone...just imagine the joy of a long run with your favorite libation in the Fuel Belt!
            Scout7

It's been a tempting thought on occasion. A few local trail races will have alternative beverage stations on them. Adds to the fun.

Go Pre!

JakeKnight use to sing the praises of a beer towards the end of a marathon, or long run. I may have to try that...get my wife to meet me out there with it so it's nice n cold.
                Scout7

Oh, after finishing a run is a good time. I've done a number of races where there's beer available afterward.

Go Pre!

after firs thalf marathon I did, we came back to my place and drank wine. nice cold pinot grigio. I was thirsty. We went through 8 bottles between 6 of us, 1 who wasn't really drinking and one who switched to rum n coke...so basically 4 of us polished the bulk of it. Monday morning was nothing I would wish uipon anyone!
                    Scout7

I did a year of ROTC in college. Yeah....An hour of PT after a night of boozing made for some good times. I still managed to always pass the PT test. Some of my best scores I was still feeling it.

Go Pre!

About to head out for 8K...and...yeah...I forgot the water between drinks last night. Did manage to get 2 glasses down at bedtime but not enough to offset the tequila consumed. Was a fun night though and worth the slight sluggishness I am feeling now. The route I am taking ltakes me to the golf course where I will meet the mrs and my son and father for 3 generations of golf. Good day.
                          About to head out for 8K...and...yeah...I forgot the water between drinks last night. Did manage to get 2 glasses down at bedtime but not enough to offset the tequila consumed. Was a fun night though and worth the slight sluggishness I am feeling now. The route I am taking ltakes me to the golf course where I will meet the mrs and my son and father for 3 generations of golf. Good day.
                          Hope you managed to beat the hang-over! And...I hope you enjoyed the generations of golf, that sounds like a Kodak moment for sure. Smile :

Michelle

Go Pre!

3 generations of golf went really well. My 7 year old wasn't far off from beating his gramps!