Guns n Poses

The L sit (Read 258 times)

Seanv2

So besides getting to a hundred push ups, I'm trying to work on my strength and flexibility more generally, one of my long term goals is to be able to do an L-sit. Here is beastskill's tutorial to the skill.

It looks like an easy exercise, but I am totally failing at it. As of now, I am sitting on the floor, and raising my ass off the ground with my arms. I have yet to be able to get the legs off the ground. Have any other grown ups done this successfully?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

protoplasm72

On the floor, supporting myself on my fingers, I can hold my legs up for a couple seconds.  If I do it on my dip bars it's a little easier and can hold it 10 seconds or so.  I thought it was going to be easy but it's surprisingly hard.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Seanv2

On the floor, supporting myself on my fingers, I can hold my legs up for a couple seconds.  If I do it on my dip bars it's a little easier and can hold it 10 seconds or so.  I thought it was going to be easy but it's surprisingly hard.

I'm not sure how to even get to the point where I can hold my legs up. Is it more of a strength thing or a flexibility thing?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

From reading the tutorial, it sounds like a strength thing. It looks to me, like trying it on dip bars, as proto mentions, or the chair looking deal (under the hanging leg raises in the tutorial) would be a good place to start. Also, are trying to get your legs off the ground in the L or in the tuck position?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

protoplasm72

It's probably mostly strength but not just the muscles you might think.  The reason the floor is hard is my arms and shoulders can't stop my legs from rotating down.  On the dip bar when you have a grip on the bars it's easier to prevent the rotation.  My core has no trouble holding my legs out in that L position for a long time if my back is against something to prevent rotating down.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Seanv2

These comments are helpful. Right now I don't have access to a gym, but I think I might try practicing it on two chairs this week just to get my self off the ground.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Wow!  That looks hard!  And I can't even begin to imagine going up on the fingertips . . .

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stephaniet

I'm not sure how to even get to the point where I can hold my legs up. Is it more of a strength thing or a flexibility thing?

It's a strength thing but here is what is totally counter-intuitive: it's an abs and quads thing. I mean, some shoulder muscle required too, but abs and quads are where it's at for this -- abs to get your butt up off the ground and quads to extend your legs straight. (Lessons learned from my brief breakdancing days) 

Uh, good luck with this! HARD!

Seanv2

Worked on the l-sit some tonight. I think I have the balance aspect down, but I definitely don't have the core strength (Yet!). I held the crouched leg position for about half a second, that's progress.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Seanv2

I'm just talking to myself here, but I held a crouched l-sit for a couple of second tonight. Big progress!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com