Guns n Poses

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 597 times)

Seanv2

I'm restarting the 100 push up challenge tonight. I'll be posting how it goes here. Anyone else out there doing the challenge? How has it gone for you?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Carl A

OK, I'm in.

Like many, I got about halfway through it a few years ago. I'm thinking that this is a good time to give it a go. To do better than last time, I'll need to nail down a specific time of day for this and not just say that I'll get to it whenever.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Seanv2

OK, I'm in.

Like many, I got about halfway through it a few years ago. I'm thinking that this is a good time to give it a go. To do better than last time, I'll need to nail down a specific time of day for this and not just say that I'll get to it whenever.

Yeah I am in the same boat, I've started the program half a dozen times, but never made it all the way through.  My plan right now is to do it every other day, starting today, after my evening run. l'll post the results here.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Seanv2

Restarted the 100 push up challenge tonight with the initial test, got to 31 push ups. Looks like I have a long way to go.

Anyone else? Carl?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

stephaniet

Duuuude, good for you for doing them! And hey, I started at TWELVE. (Hard to believe at this point) One recommendation that I thought of last night -- well, actually, two..no three:

--first, somehow having the stupid schedule printed out and pinned up close to the place where I was going to do my pushups was definitely useful in keeping me going

--second, I think that paying attention to my rest time was really useful. I know it says something like 45 secs or as much as necessary, but a friend of mine started this shortly after me who would take like two-three minutes between sets, always saying that the program allowed this, and he plateaued at a certain point and just never made it through one of the weeks.

--third, I suggest not focussing on form SO MUCH the first time you do this. I mean, I think it's a good goal to have decent form, but having perfect form in a push-up is really difficult, and the point of this is to keep going and feeling successful.

Not sure if these tips are helpful -- obviously they are quite personal, but I thought I'd share them.

Carl A

I got to 38 yesterday. Can I really get to 100 in 6 weeks? To hedge my bets, I'm also doing some of the other bodyweight challenges.

Carl A

Thanks for the hints, stephaniet!

Seanv2

Duuuude, good for you for doing them! And hey, I started at TWELVE. (Hard to believe at this point) One recommendation that I thought of last night -- well, actually, two..no three:

--first, somehow having the stupid schedule printed out and pinned up close to the place where I was going to do my pushups was definitely useful in keeping me going

--second, I think that paying attention to my rest time was really useful. I know it says something like 45 secs or as much as necessary, but a friend of mine started this shortly after me who would take like two-three minutes between sets, always saying that the program allowed this, and he plateaued at a certain point and just never made it through one of the weeks.

--third, I suggest not focussing on form SO MUCH the first time you do this. I mean, I think it's a good goal to have decent form, but having perfect form in a push-up is really difficult, and the point of this is to keep going and feeling successful.

Not sure if these tips are helpful -- obviously they are quite personal, but I thought I'd share them.

This is very helpful, thanks! Another question, did you take rest days between training or just do it every day? You know I am obsessive and want to do this everyday!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think I started at a single rest day, but then later I moved up to 2 or 3 rest days sometimes. I was also sometimes adding extra sets.

I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to start again.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Seanv2

I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to start again.

Do it, the more people around here doing the challenge, the less likely I am to flake out

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Having become very bad at regularly doing my push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups of late, I'm in. Not sure how many I can do at the moment... I will have a go when I get home.

stephaniet

I also wanted to add: for anyone who is thinking, "100 pushups in a row is nuts, I'll never be able to do that," you are wrong! I am of the gender not particularly known for our upper body strength, and I did it (even went over 100 -- can't remember if it was 110 or 115). And no, they weren't on my knees at all. I started at 12!

Anyway, Sean, to answer your question about days off, yes, you DEFINITELY will want to take them. Once you get to weeks 4/5/6 it will feel like you are doing 20 mi runs on your arms every other day, and you will actually really need a day in between for rest/recovery. I had to repeat week five which I think is pretty typical (that week in particular). To be honest, doing pushups to exhaustion ever other day might even take something out of your running, I know it did for me, despite it not taking very much time. But your arms/shoulders will look great! It also helped me develop a fair amount of ab strength too. DO IT! (Seriously, it was one of the best things I've done. Just super cool to transform that quickly)

Having become very bad at regularly doing my push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups of late, I'm in. Not sure how many I can do at the moment... I will have a go when I get home.

So - it turns out that I can do 67 pushups with good form in one continuous go at a steady pace.

Seanv2

So - it turns out that I can do 67 pushups with good form in one continuous go at a steady pace.

You are well on your way!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

protoplasm72

Nice.  The only thing I would suggest is taking a video of your pushups cause it turns out your form is not usually as good as you think.  The last time we had a group for the 100 pushup challenge we all videoed ourselves doing them.  The first time I videoed myself I was surprised at how bad my form was considering I thought I did good.  It really helped me work on the form and get better.  By the end I posted a video of me doing 70 something pushups but the form was still not great although much better then it had been.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson