Guns n Poses

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 597 times)

John Weigel

Does anyone else do a few warm up pushups before a max test?  I remember from last time I did the challenge I did better if I did 10-15 pushups as a warm up and then took a 5 break before doing the max test.

I'm going to try that before my next max test.  Good call. 

stephaniet

Had to to take a break last week to write fellowship applications (er, singular) so that I can feed myself next year. Didn't even run for a full week (not to mention sleep more than 4 hrs at a time). Anyway, kind of thinking about throwing in the towel on this, as doing 100 pushups just isn't where my priorities lie right now, but seeing you guys posting is inspirational. We'll see.

Finally returned to exercise last night and did 21/25/21/21/29 (after both ball crunches and one legged squats). Still on the fence about starting up again with the actual challenge, but pleased to have pushups back in my life.

Seanv2

I've been having some problems with my shoulder, I think the result of spending ten to twelve hours a day at a computer. I took a week off but am back at it today, restarting week 2 (again) with 14, 14, 10, 10 27

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

protoplasm72

Had to to take a break last week to write fellowship applications (er, singular) so that I can feed myself next year. Didn't even run for a full week (not to mention sleep more than 4 hrs at a time). Anyway, kind of thinking about throwing in the towel on this, as doing 100 pushups just isn't where my priorities lie right now, but seeing you guys posting is inspirational. We'll see.

Finally returned to exercise last night and did 21/25/21/21/29 (after both ball crunches and one legged squats). Still on the fence about starting up again with the actual challenge, but pleased to have pushups back in my life.

You won't stop.  There is something strangely addicting about this challenge when there is a group to do it with.  That's why I'm back after almost 3 years.  Here is my max attempt from today.  Only did 46 but I'm reasonably happy with my form.  I wish my posture was better but my elbows are getting to 90 degrees or lower.  Here is my last serious attempt from the last time I did the challenge.  My form was crap which is probably why I got 70 something pushups.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

John Weigel

Week 4.5; Day 2:  Made it through 6 sets of week 5 day 2 put lost it with 4 to go in set 7.  Modified from there. 

19, 19, 22, 22, 18, 18, 18 (45 seconds rest)

Took 10 minutes rest then maxed out at 45

John Weigel

Week 4.5; Day 3. 

20, 20, 24, 24, 20 (45 sec rest)

took 10 min since I was not going to make the next set

20, 22, 38 on max set (45 sec rest)

I'm hoping I'm now ready to take down week 4.

protoplasm72

22, 24, 26, 16, 27 

Best I could do today.  I was hoping to get well over 30 in the last set but I was hurting the whole way.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

John Weigel

Back to week 4:

Day 1 (60 seconds rest):  21, 25, 21, 21, 33 on max set.

Seanv2

Well, fuck. I started this thing and now I need to bow out for eight weeks. Doctor says I have tendinitis in my shoulder and has sent me to physical therapy. We'll see how it goes.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Carl A

Still holding at Week 3, Day 1, Column 3 here.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, Sean. Here's to your healing well.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

John Weigel

Week 4 ; Day 2 (90 seconds rest): 

Made it through the second go around, but barely.   25, 29, 25, 25, 36.  Last time around, I only made 16 on the max set, so getting stronger week by week. 

Sorry about the injury, Sean.  I hope the shoulder heals up quickly. 

protoplasm72

Well, fuck. I started this thing and now I need to bow out for eight weeks. Doctor says I have tendinitis in my shoulder and has sent me to physical therapy. We'll see how it goes.

That sucks.  Is it from the push ups or did it start with something else?  

I did 20,25,22,20,26 today.  

Seanv2

That sucks.  Is it from the push ups or did it start with something else?  

I did 20,25,22,20,26 today.  

Its not from the push ups, I think its from getting old and sitting at a desk 10 to 12 hours a day.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

John Weigel

29, 33, 29, 29, 31 on max set.  9 away from getting through week 4.  The max set was supposed to be 40.  Going on to week 5 and then back to week 4 again. 

Carl A

Did a four-exercise max test on Monday:

51 pushups

40 crunches

115 squats

35 dips

Showing some modest improvement on all fronts, but still have a ways to go.

Got it all on video. Will try to get it uploaded from home tonight or tomorrow.

Taking a little break from core exercises until after Steamtown, which is Oct. 9.

MTA:

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqZnKVEN7U

It was a long, quiet video, so I let the Youtube editor add some music. I really wanted to put in Boris's "Naki Kyoku," but that wasn't in their library of easy-to-add tunes. I definitely need to work on getting my video-framing more on-center and/or my squats a little lower.

I stopped doing each exercise when I felt that I could no longer maintain good form. Training with more consistency would enable me to improve more quickly, but I've decided that I'm not really in a hurry. So, I'm still breaking till after the mary.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.