Guns n Poses

25 pullup challenge (Read 98 times)

So, anyone else interested in the 25 pullup challenge? The site's not done yet (http://www.twentyfivepullups.com/), but pullups are definitely something that I'm weak on, so I'm thinking I should just start going and see how far I can get before they finish the site... Big grin

Initial test: 5 pullups Sad

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

jeffdonahue

There is already a site for a 20 pullup challenge

http://twentypullups.com

which I think is probably hard enough.  I know the "7 weeks to fitness guys" have a 50 pullup challenge as well, but I think I'll start with 20.  There is actually a link to the 50 pullups book on the 25 pullups website.  I actually do like the 7 weeks program because it incorporates chin ups and neutral pullups in the beginning to help get more reps and build more strength, but they dont have an android app for tracking and the 20 pullups does.

Here is my progress (if you can call it that, I just did day 1 today)

Initial test - 5

Week 3 Day 1 - (2-3-2-2-4) 13 total pullups

Week 3 Day 2 - (2-3-2-2-4) 13 total pullups

Week 3 Day 3 - (3-4-3-3-6) 19 total pullups

Week 4 Day 1 - (3-4-3-3-5) 18 total pullups

Didn't do any workouts for almost a week so i decided to do another test and start over with a new baseline.  Also, switching over to the 7 weeks to 50 pullups schedule which I like more because it incorporates pullups, chinups and neutral pullups which work different muscles for a more all-around shoulder/back workout.  So I used the new test below as my baseline in that program, putting me at the Varsity level.

Second Test - 8 ( not bad)

Week 1 Day 1 - (3-3-2-3-3) 14 total pullups

Week 1 Day 2 - (3-4-3-3-5) 18 total pullups

Week 1 Day 3 - (4-4-3-3-7) 21 total pullups

Week 2 Day 1 - (4-5-4-4-7) 24 total pullups

Week 2 Day 2 - (5-4-5-4-7) 25 total pullups - performed 2/6/13

Week 2 Day 3 - (4-6-4-5-7) 26 total pullups - performed 2/8/13

Week 3 Day 1 - (6-5-5-4-6) 26 total pullups - performed 2/12/13

Week 3 Day 2 - (4-6-5-5-4) 24 total pullups - performed 2/15/13

Week 3 Day 3 - (5-6-6-5-5) 27 total pullups - performed 2/19/13

Week 4 Day 1 - (6-6-6-5-7) 30 total pullups - performed 2/21/13

Week 4 Day 2 - (5-6-7-6-5) 30 total pullups - performed 2/22/13

Week 4 Day 3 - (5-7-6-6-8) 32 total pullups - performed 2/27/13

Week 5 Day 1 - (5-6-7-7-8) 33 total pullups - performed 3/4/13

Total pullups completed in the challenge - 406

Seanv2

which I think is probably hard enough.  I know the "7 weeks to fitness guys" have a 50 pullup challenge as well, but I think I'll start with 20.  There is actually a link to the 50 pullups book on the 25 pullups website.  I actually do like the 7 weeks program because it incorporates chin ups and neutral pullups in the beginning to help get more reps and build more strength, but they dont have an android app for tracking and the 20 pullups does.

Initial test - 5

Day 3 Week 1 - (2-3-2-2-4) 13 total pullups

Thanks for this, Jeff. I've been looking for a program for pull ups.  I think I'll start this tonight with my other body weight work.  My goal for the year is 100 push ups, 100 bodyweight squats, 50 dips, and 30 pull ups, plus a couple of stupid human tricks.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

My goal for the year is 100 push ups, 100 bodyweight squats, 50 dips, and 30 pull ups, plus a couple of stupid human tricks.

Stupid human tricks?  Confused  Is that what ego wants to do v. what the body can do?  Wink

Was doing pull-ups every other day during week.  I managed to do 3 sets of 10 each for total 30.  Then got the bad cold and went to 0 for past 2 wks...should probably start again next week. I was also doing 2 sets of 50 push-ups, 2 sets of 30-40 decline push-ups and multiple sets of crunches and abd work-outs.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

jeffdonahue

Thanks for this, Jeff. I've been looking for a program for pull ups.  I think I'll start this tonight with my other body weight work.  My goal for the year is 100 push ups, 100 bodyweight squats, 50 dips, and 30 pull ups, plus a couple of stupid human tricks.

What kind of stupid human tricks are we talking about here?

Seanv2

What kind of stupid human tricks are we talking about here?

Right now I'm working on free standing handstands and the pistol squat.  Handstands are coming alone well, but training the pistol was is really tough with running.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Initial test - 5

Week 3 Day 1 - (2-3-2-2-4) 13 total pullups

Week 3 Day 2 - (2-3-2-2-4) 13 total pullups

Week 3 Day 3 - (3-4-3-3-6) 19 total pullups

Week 4 Day 1 - (3-4-3-3-5) 18 total pullups

Didn't do any workouts for almost a week so i decided to do another test and start over with a new baseline.  Also, switching over to the 7 weeks to 50 pullups schedule which I like more because it incorporates pullups, chinups and neutral pullups which work different muscles for a more all-around shoulder/back workout.  So I used the new test below as my baseline in that program, putting me at the Varsity level.

Second Test - 8 ( not bad)

Week 1 Day 1 - (3-3-2-3-3) 14 total pullups

Week 1 Day 2 - (3-4-3-3-5) 18 total pullups

Week 1 Day 3 - (4-4-3-3-7) 21 total pullups

Week 2 Day 1 - (4-5-4-4-7) 24 total pullups

Week 2 Day 2 - (5-4-5-4-7) 25 total pullups - performed 2/6/13

Week 2 Day 3 - (4-6-4-5-7) 26 total pullups - performed 2/8/13

Week 3 Day 1 - (6-5-5-4-6) 26 total pullups - performed 2/12/13

Week 3 Day 2 - (4-6-5-5-4) 24 total pullups - performed 2/15/13

Week 3 Day 3 - (5-6-6-5-5) 27 total pullups - performed 2/19/13

Week 4 Day 1 - (6-6-6-5-7) 30 total pullups - performed 2/21/13

Week 4 Day 2 - (5-6-7-6-5) 30 total pullups - performed 2/22/13

Week 4 Day 3 - (5-7-6-6-8) 32 total pullups - performed 2/27/13

Week 5 Day 1 - (5-6-7-7-8) 33 total pullups - performed 3/4/13

Total pullups completed in the challenge - 406

How's the challenge going?

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

jeffdonahue

Got to the end of that level and did another test - got 14.  I honestly think I was a bit stiff and tired and could have pulled out 1 or 2 more, but was pretty happy with 14.

After that, work got SUPER busy and I stopped being able to go to the gym at lunch.  I've also been getting home so late I only have enough motivation to get out on the road for a mile or two before I crash on the couch.  So probably havent done more than a couple pullups in almost a month.

Hoping things will slow down again in a few weeks and I'll start up again.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff

jeffdonahue

Been trying to get back on the wagon here.  Just finished 5 weeks of pullups, though I think it took me 8.  It's amazing how quickly a week will slip by and you realize you havent done any pullups at all.

Just did the test at the end of week 5 and was able to get 12 pullups done - not bad.  so now I start the 7 weeks to 50 pullups plan for the "Amateur" level.  Doing about 32 pullups during each workout right now.