Guns n Poses

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 597 times)

OK, I just did the test: 40. I could have done a couple more, but not enough to jump into the next group (>49). I'll start up some time next week (week three).

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

Duuuude, good for you for doing them! And hey, I started at TWELVE. (Hard to believe at this point) One recommendation that I thought of last night -- well, actually, two..no three:

--first, somehow having the stupid schedule printed out and pinned up close to the place where I was going to do my pushups was definitely useful in keeping me going

--second, I think that paying attention to my rest time was really useful. I know it says something like 45 secs or as much as necessary, but a friend of mine started this shortly after me who would take like two-three minutes between sets, always saying that the program allowed this, and he plateaued at a certain point and just never made it through one of the weeks.

--third, I suggest not focussing on form SO MUCH the first time you do this. I mean, I think it's a good goal to have decent form, but having perfect form in a push-up is really difficult, and the point of this is to keep going and feeling successful.

Not sure if these tips are helpful -- obviously they are quite personal, but I thought I'd share them.

Stephaniet, thats awesone.  You were able to complete the 100 PUs (110 for you) in only 7 weeks.

I have never heard of anyone completeing the program in such a short time.  Do you have a video?

I agree that if I WERE going to do the challenge that I would follow your first two steps above, but as as far as form goes, once you get to week 3, I think I would start to get serious on the form.

Proto has a good idea too,  I would video myself once a week to see how things are progressing, plus you never know when that magic moment might happen, you'll want it on video.

If it is good form you might have only the second video on YouTube that shows someone doing 100 pushups correctly.  Believe me before posting I looked around and only found one video that showed good form and 100 PUs, and that guy was Godlike.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice.  The only thing I would suggest is taking a video of your pushups cause it turns out your form is not usually as good as you think.  The last time we had a group for the 100 pushup challenge we all videoed ourselves doing them.  The first time I videoed myself I was surprised at how bad my form was considering I thought I did good.  It really helped me work on the form and get better.  By the end I posted a video of me doing 70 something pushups but the form was still not great although much better then it had been.

Yeah, me too Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just did my first set in at least a year. Collapse sets in even faster than when trying to race a 400: thought I was going strong at 40. Barely could push #45 up, and I was done.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

dork.major dork.

I just did my initial test (again) for the 100 PU program. I'm also into week 5 of the 200 sit-up challenge. I use the apps on my iPhone, which keeps track of rest time, which I like. Videoing myself is a great idea though, I'm sure my form is a little meh, even though it feels good.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

protoplasm72

Just did my first set in at least a year. Collapse sets in even faster than when trying to race a 400: thought I was going strong at 40. Barely could push #45 up, and I was done.

I hate you people.  I just did a max test - 41.  I swear I'm not doing this challenge again.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

stephaniet

Stephaniet, thats awesone.  You were able to complete the 100 PUs (110 for you) in only 7 weeks.

I have never heard of anyone completeing the program in such a short time.  Do you have a video?

I agree that if I WERE going to do the challenge that I would follow your first two steps above, but as as far as form goes, once you get to week 3, I think I would start to get serious on the form.

Proto has a good idea too,  I would video myself once a week to see how things are progressing, plus you never know when that magic moment might happen, you'll want it on video.

If it is good form you might have only the second video on YouTube that shows someone doing 100 pushups correctly.  Believe me before posting I looked around and only found one video that showed good form and 100 PUs, and that guy was Godlike.

I just found the video, and my form was terrible. (Not like, butt way up in the air, but certainly not going too far down and butt not necessarily moving with my arms, which, for those of us with hips, is the hardest part.) Honestly I kind of think one needs to do it twice to get to a point where you could do it with good form.

My suggestion to not worry to much about form was probably given because I'm not sure how long it would take to actually make it through with good form. Given that everyone here is like, yeah, I started, but I kind of let it go...the best way to avoid doing that again is certainly not to stretch it out to 17 weeks. Granted, you won't have done 100 good form pushups, but you will have done 100 pushups of some sort. All personal preference I suppose.

Maybe I should use this as an opportunity to go through a second time around and see if I can get to 100 with good form? Hmmm. Okay, maybe I will do a self test tonight.

Seanv2

Ok i'v had a rough weekend and have been lucky to get in a any running, but my push challenge starts tomorrow. Who else is in?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Cool as a Cucumber

Ok i'v had a rough weekend and have been lucky to get in a any running, but my push challenge starts tomorrow. Who else is in?

I'll join you. I'll do my max pushups and record a video of it and post it here.

The pavement fears me.

stephaniet

I'm going to do it again. With better (not promising perfect!) form this time. Just did the initial test -- tried to have OKAY form though it looks weird to me -- got to 50 before I threw in the towel.

Made a video this time: http://vimeo.com/27410029

Salut! 

Seanv2

I'm going to do it again. With better (not promising perfect!) form this time. Just did the initial test -- tried to have OKAY form though it looks weird to me -- got to 50 before I threw in the towel.

Made a video this time: http://vimeo.com/27410029

Salut! 

Awesome! Have you looked back the video? How do you feel about the form?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

stephaniet

Awesome! Have you looked back the video? How do you feel about the form?

I feel like it looks weird. Like I am pivoting around my toes or something. On the other hand, I don't think it's HORRIBLE. If I make it to 100 like this I'll be happy. I am going far enough down by my standards, and my head isn't drooping.

protoplasm72

Those are pretty decent form.  The hard part about the rules we were going by last time was not just good form but we said it had to be non-stop.  I wouldn't move on to the next week until I could do all the sets with no pauses in them.  I'm not sure why we had those rules but it does make it much more difficult.  I have a bad feeling I'm about to start doing this stupid challenge again.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

John Weigel

I started with 29 on my initial test.  I may still start at week 1 since I have done no upper body strength work for many years (other than carrying my kids around). 

I do feel the overwhelming desire to pull out my old Appetite for Destruction album, though.  Smile

dork.major dork.

I'm impressed Stephanie! Those look great. I think I usually do them more slowly and  go down a little bit further, but my neck and hips aren't in as board straight a line as yours.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.