Guns n Poses

Welcome (Read 439 times)

Seanv2

Welcome runners and others interested in body weight work outs. Just because you're trying to get a BQ doesn't mean you can't have killer pecs.

Check in here to introduce yourself.

Me, I'm a runner in the early stages of the 100 push up challenge looking to develop some upper body strength and better core strength. What about you?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

stephaniet

Hello Seanv2,

I am a semi-retired runner (in my early 30s) now looking to stay in shape (more than just to be healthy) through a combination of aerobic activity and weight-lifting, whether that is with or without added weights. Essentially my goal is to maintain a optimized balance between muscle/low bodyfat, aerobic conditioning, and non-injury.

I've found that for me personally, body weight work as well as aerobic activities that are more dynamic than running really help me maintain lower bodyfat than I ever could when all I did was run. In the past year or two, I've completed the 100 pushup challenge (starting at 12, finishing at 110!) and have taken up squash. Pushups really transformed my upper body, and I've definitely lost fat on my legs (where I tend to store it) through all of the lunging involved in squash. 

I've recently moved overseas, where I'll be until the end of the calendar year. I don't have access to a gym here, but I brought my running shoes, a yoga mat, an exercise ball, and a pump, and I am determined to stay in shape, despite being surrounded by bread and cheese and an exchange rate than makes it difficult to eat anything else. I'm currently running 36-40 miles a week (6 days/wk, no long run), and do body weight work maybe four times a week, but sometimes just for 15 minutes. I'm signed up for a 10k in late September, and I think my goal is to break 46 minutes? My PR at that distance is 43:09, but that was back when I was doing a lot of racing. (But had no core strength!)

My first step is to find a good 10K training plan -- and a track to run on! I'm also interested in hearing about any great ball exercises (or body weight without the ball) that are accomplish-able by relative mortals. I'll post some of my favorites soon!

Carl A

Hi Seanv2 and stephaniet,

Nice to "meet" you!

I'm basically a fool. I have a tendency to impulsively run off in new directions all the time, and I have trouble keeping focused. To help combat this problem but keep myself interested in life, I sometimes set outrageous goals.

Occasionally I complete them. Right now I'm training to double the local marathon (Steamtown). I think I have a good chance of getting this one done because I'll be running it with a local friend. I'm also thinking that I'll begin doing the push-up, pull-up, sit-up, and squat challenges in the evenings.

It's a coincidence that I saw this group today because I just dug out and brought my old copy of Yoga for Americans (which I bought at a yard sale 20 years ago for 10 cents) with me to work today. Today on one of my coffee breaks, I'm going to start over at week 1, and hopefully stick with it through the end of the book, week 6.

All this I'm balancing against being a dad, editor, coach, church musician, and occasional 3 a.m. poetry scribbler.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Seanv2

Hi Seanv2 and stephaniet,

Nice to "meet" you!

I'm basically a fool. I have a tendency to impulsively run off in new directions all the time, and I have trouble keeping focused. To help combat this problem but keep myself interested in life, I sometimes set outrageous goals.

Occasionally I complete them. Right now I'm training to double the local marathon (Steamtown). I think I have a good chance of getting this one done because I'll be running it with a local friend. I'm also thinking that I'll begin doing the push-up, pull-up, sit-up, and squat challenges in the evenings.

It's a coincidence that I saw this group today because I just dug out and brought my old copy of Yoga for Americans (which I bought at a yard sale 20 years ago for 10 cents) with me to work today. Today on one of my coffee breaks, I'm going to start over at week 1, and hopefully stick with it through the end of the book, week 6.

All this I'm balancing against being a dad, editor, coach, church musician, and occasional 3 a.m. poetry scribbler.

Hey Carl,

Nice to see someone from the swamp dropping in on this new group!

I'm restarting the 100 push up challenge tonight, I hope to actually make it to 100 push ups this time!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Hey All -

I'm currently a benched runner recovering from a tendon tear in the top of my left foot.  Consequently, it has been a challenge to maintain my aerobic and strength training levels since, for three months, I was on crutches and could not put any weight on my foot at all.  I used stationary cycling and pool running for aerobic exercise, did what I could for the lower body by improvising some sitting or laying strength training for legs and core, and worked on the upper body by balancing a lot on the stability ball or one leg.  I've gotten away from the pool running (but need to get back to it), and am now able to do power walks on the trails.  Saturday I did 9.2 miles in about 2.5 hrs (Yea!).

I would love to figure out how to lower my body fat, tone it up, get rid of the pooch, and still maintain whatever carb level I need to for running trails.  50k is my preferred distance, and once I'm all healed, I'll be working towards 50 milers again and hope to someday complete a 100-miler.  Proper nutrition has been a real challenge for me.  I'm not overweight at all (45 yo, 5'8", 140 lbs.), but I'm not as toned as I'd like to be and, as I said, I have a stomach pooch that seems to be permanently adhered to the front of my body, and I've never had kids. Blush

I've been contemplating purchasing a floor-standing chin up contraption since I don't have a doorway available to which I can attach that type of pull up bar.  However, the one I've looked at, and which has received good reviews and can be used for various exercises, would take 9-12 weeks to receive. (??)  Push ups - at least regular floor push ups, are not an option for me as I have trouble with my wrists.  I can, however, do push ups using the bottom of a BOSU since gripping the edges of the BOSU keeps my hands in a more neutral position.  Currently, I'm trying to graduate to no knees on the floor (hard!).

Thanks for starting this forum, Sean.  I'm looking forward to learning what I can from others here.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Seanv2

Hey All -

I'm currently a benched runner recovering from a tendon tear in the top of my left foot.  Consequently, it has been a challenge to maintain my aerobic and strength training levels since, for three months, I was on crutches and could not put any weight on my foot at all.  I used stationary cycling and pool running for aerobic exercise, did what I could for the lower body by improvising some sitting or laying strength training for legs and core, and worked on the upper body by balancing a lot on the stability ball or one leg.  I've gotten away from the pool running (but need to get back to it), and am now able to do power walks on the trails.  Saturday I did 9.2 miles in about 2.5 hrs (Yea!).

I would love to figure out how to lower my body fat, tone it up, get rid of the pooch, and still maintain whatever carb level I need to for running trails.  50k is my preferred distance, and once I'm all healed, I'll be working towards 50 milers again and hope to someday complete a 100-miler.  Proper nutrition has been a real challenge for me.  I'm not overweight at all (45 yo, 5'8", 140 lbs.), but I'm not as toned as I'd like to be and, as I said, I have a stomach pooch that seems to be permanently adhered to the front of my body, and I've never had kids. Blush

I've been contemplating purchasing a floor-standing chin up contraption since I don't have a doorway available to which I can attach that type of pull up bar.  However, the one I've looked at, and which has received good reviews and can be used for various exercises, would take 9-12 weeks to receive. (??)  Push ups - at least regular floor push ups, are not an option for me as I have trouble with my wrists.  I can, however, do push ups using the bottom of a BOSU since gripping the edges of the BOSU keeps my hands in a more neutral position.  Currently, I'm trying to graduate to no knees on the floor (hard!).

Thanks for starting this forum, Sean.  I'm looking forward to learning what I can from others here.

Hi! Good to see you joined! How about starting the 100 push up challenge?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Hey Sean, thanks for starting this group. It just may be the motivation I need to get rolling. I started and quit the 100 pushup program a couple times. My son and I have also been talking about the 50 pullup program. I'm not sure which one I want to do yet and it's probably not smart to do both after a long time off any strength work. We'll make a decision soon and I'll start posting some sort of progress here.

And hello to everyone! Good to see some familiar faces!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Seanv2

Hey Sean, thanks for starting this group. It just may be the motivation I need to get rolling. I started and quit the 100 pushup program a couple times. My son and I have also been talking about the 50 pullup program. I'm not sure which one I want to do yet and it's probably not smart to do both after a long time off any strength work. We'll make a decision soon and I'll start posting some sort of progress here.

And hello to everyone! Good to see some familiar faces!

50 pull ups is no joke. At the height of my pull up work I could knock out fifteen and that seemed like a lot!

Anyway, glad to see you here, Bonkin, weren't you riding a unicycle for a while?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Hi! Good to see you joined! How about starting the 100 push up challenge?

(I can't get the cursor out of the "quote" box. Confused)   What's the 100 push up challenge?

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Seanv2

the one hundred push up challenge is an online training program that the designers claim will get anyone to doing 100 push ups.

You can read about it here:

http://hundredpushups.com/

I've only ever known one person to actually complete the challenge, and that is stephaniet from this group. I hope to complete it in the next six to eight weeks.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

50 pull ups is no joke. At the height of my pull up work I could knock out fifteen and that seemed like a lot!

Anyway, glad to see you here, Bonkin, weren't you riding a unicycle for a while?

50 pull ups is no joke to be sure. It really even isn't a realistic goal for me. But I'd like to use the program to improve from zero to something in the teens. My son can already knock out 15 or 20 - so it may be realistic for him to see 50. My thoughts on the 100 pushup program are similar. I can currently do 10ish pushups. If I go that route, the realistic goal will be to improve a lot, not really to get to 100. In the first round anyway. I'd like to finish the full program one time and then go from there.

I used to do a little yoga, very occasionally - just a couple poses that I found on youtube that are supposed to be good for runners. I'd like to get into some sort of regular routine of of 2-4 poses for hips, hams, and calves.

Last summer, I learned to ride a unicycle and want to ride it again. Still need to lose a few pounds so I don't have to replace the tube every time I ride it. I recently had a party at my house, and we *may* have been a little (or possibly a lot) drunk. Someone wanted to see me ride it but we exploded the tire trying to pump it up (90ish PSI tires) so it's time to get some new tubes anyway.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

protoplasm72

I'm not crazy enough to try the 100 pushup thing again.  I still have nightmares from doing 250 pushups a day and still not being able to do 100 non-stop in a row.  I've recently started working more seriously at trying to do planche pushups though.  Those just look bad ass.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

OK, I'm in. Sean-we 'spoke' a while back because you saw my posting about running in Brooklyn.

About me:

I'm a runner and a triathlete wannabe. Currently I'm trying to do many things: swim, bike, run, lift and lose weight, only swimming and losing weight is going well, though. I started the 100 pushups challenge a while back but am starting up again and I've convinced a friend to do it as well. I won't be doing three days/week as I'm trying to spend the other in the weight room. I'd like to pick up yoga again, as well, but that's going to have to wait until after I've done my triathlon in September.

John Weigel

I had never heard of this challenge until I saw this group a few days ago.  I'm in.

About me:

I'm a runner living in the Chicago 'burbs and have had a lot of trouble staying injury free the past few years.  I feel like I am always coming back from a hamstring or calf so it's been a frustrating go for awhile.  I just recently sprained my ankle pretty bad, tried to cross train through it, but it was not getting better.  I'm taking some time off to let it heal, but going crazy doing nothing.  I saw this at about the perfect time.  It will give me something to shoot for.  Thanks for starting the group, Sean. 

. . . going crazy doing nothing. 

Pool running.  It's really boring, but it's a great cardio workout.  One of those "you get out of it what you put into it" things.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance