Guns n Poses

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 597 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Its not from the push ups, I think its from getting old and sitting at a desk 10 to 12 hours a day.

Yeah I know how that goes!  Had a running injury  this summer that sidelined me for 6 weeks - so had to defer marathon till next year -Steamtown.   {Good luck Carl}

Not really doing the "official" 100 push-up challenge but it is a goal.  I typically include push-ups in my UB free weights work-outs along with inclined crunches/sit-ups.  Abds when doing chest and back free weight/circuit weight work-outs.  And push-ups when doing sets of shoulders and arms. Makes a good break between weight sets.  I also have been building reps since I included.

Yesterday 4 sets of 30 push-ups and 4 sets of 20 inclined crunches/sit-ups. 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

protoplasm72

I hurt my leg in 3 separate places last week and kind of fell off the exercise wagon completely for a couple days.  I'm back now and did 25, 20, 22, 25, 34 this afternoon.

Nice work Carl.  I definitely would not be able to do all that non-stop like that.  I usually collapse and lay on the floor after a max pushup attempt.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

I did 100 pushups, not in a row, as part of a workout the other day.

Hopefully, this gets me doing them more often.

Not much happening here, seems like it is down to 3 people (not including me).

Thought I'd repost my 100 pushup video, maybe it will get people back into it.

It has over 142,000 views and 600+ comments

If you don't think good form matters, then read the comments.

You can also find a couple other crappy videos I left of my other attempts before this one to compare.  I was able to do one hundred, but they were so bad I wouldn't ever say they counted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCKHx8Yyj4

protoplasm72

That video is very motivational however I'm just lazy Smile   I did 20, 25, 22, 20, 31 push ups this morning but it's been at least a week since my last push up only workout.  My wrist is starting to hurt again during these sets.  Last time that was a big reason for me stopping.  I think I need a brace or something while doing push ups.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

That video is very motivational however I'm just lazy Smile   I did 20, 25, 22, 20, 31 push ups this morning but it's been at least a week since my last push up only workout.  My wrist is starting to hurt again during these sets.  Last time that was a big reason for me stopping.  I think I need a brace or something while doing push ups.

Try using an excercise  foam mat under your hands.  Or, buy one of those perfect  push-up sets which have 2 brace like things, so the grip to hold on keeps your wrist straight.  Especially if you do lots of key boarding and have CT starting in the wrists.  Another option is to do fist/knuckle push-ups...just some ideas.

Only able to get to fitness center 2 times this week.  But managed to do 4 sets of 30 push-up each time.  If I ever get my schedule right again, I may start increasing to  4 set of 40 or50 again - like last year.  Then I might actually try to hit that 100 number.Wink

Joe Suder

Sorry to have checked out without checking in Smile

Anyway, I've started doing the Stronglifts 5x5 weight program and don't have enough gas for pushups. It's all I can do to do the weight workouts and still maintain some running.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

protoplasm72

Is anyone still doing pushups?  I do them but I think not regularly enough to improve.  I did 22, 20, 20, 22, 34 today.

Carl A

I'm still in.

Consistency could be better, but I'm still making some progress.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I am still doing them as part of my weight training program.  But been missing my work-outs recently due to work, life, and the universe conspiring against me. I need to focus to actually complete the challenge and quick fooling around...Wink

Joe Suder

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

managed to do 4 sets of 30 push-ups [120 total] and  4 sets of 25 [100 total] inclined sit-ups as part of weight training today.  felt good to be back in the gym...good news is the UB seemed to remember as well.  so not as out of shape as I thought. Blush

Joe Suder

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Looks like I am the only one posting these days. Anyway for you lurkers...Wink

I did usual sets of inclined sit ups 4 sets of 25 for total of 100 as part of my UB free-weights work-out. But for push-up work-out I added sets of chair dips as well as bench push-ups as well.

I used 2 steps from step aerobic equipment in gym  and placed shoulder width apart to do bench push-ups so chest went lower than arms.  I spread them apart to do the chair dips.  I did 4 sets rotating from push-ups, to chair/bench push-ups to chair/bench dips with short rests between rotations.

4 sets of 30 push-ups - std [total 120]

4 sets of 20 chair/bench push-ups [total 80]

4 sets of 10 chair/bench dips [total 40]

By 4th set of the 2 push-ups basically worked to failure and the 3rd set was no picnic either.  But it felt great afterwards. 

Joe Suder

protoplasm72

Sadly the last time I posted was the last time I did push ups Sad   I can't seem to stay motivated but we'll see if I can do them when I get home tonight.

protoplasm72

Finally got them in 22,25,20,22,30.  Big grin

Carl A

It's going to take me way longer than 6 weeks, and I'm not sticking to the published program anymore. Instead, I'm experimenting with gradually increasing single sets.

Today, it was 5 pullups, 25 pushups, 50 crunches, and 38 squats, and 38 dips.

Next week, I'll do the math before starting to exercise and go for 3 days of 6, 24, 48, 48, 36.

If that goes well, the following week I'll go for sets of 7, 28, 56, 56, 42.

Eventually, this will theoretically all get me to 25, 100, 200, 200, 150. It will take at least 18 more weeks of solid work, and that's if everything goes perfectly.

I think I'll start including hand-gripper numbers too, to make my morning commute a little more interesting, to help my guitar playing, and to improve my saving-people-from falling-off-a-cliff skills.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Seanv2

I was finally cleared to do push ups again by the physical therapist, but only thirty a day, for now. Hey, its a start. In a month or so I should be able to up this.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com