Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Anybody running the Lake Winni relay on Saturday? (Read 416 times)

I got suckered into this one. Not really looking forward to is since the team has dropped down to 5 people and I get to run two legs..back to back..whoo hoo. I have never run a relay before and have no clue what to expect.

I just completed Reach The Beach as an ultra, did 6 legs (35 miles total). Just give yourself enough time to stretch out in between your legs and stay hydrated after your first leg.

What are your distances?

Bring a pair of sandals for down time in between your legs. Your feet will thank you for it.

Just enjoy yourself and stay relaxed.

Thanks Jason...I saw the detailed race report of the RTB...sounds like you guys did an awesome job and had a great time.

This relay is much much smaller. It's only 65+ miles and has 8 legs total.

I'm not sure which ones I have to run yet as the team is pretty disorganized. I think I am going to run two legs back to back... at least that was my request.

possibly leg 3 (a hilly 9.3 miler) and leg 4 (a flat and fast 4 miler..ya right, maybe on fresh legs)

It should be similar to my normal long runs as long as I don't switch into race mode.

I got suckered into this one.

Hey, me too!  I'm running leg 7 for a Shamrock team, but it's my first Winni so I really can't offer much info or advice.  Useless as usual.  

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice Ed, see you on Saturday ..maybe I'll even drink a beer with you...
              Hey Ed..good to see you up at Lake Winnie...Did you end up running?
                Hey Ed..good to see you up at Lake Winnie...Did you end up running?

I did, ran the 8.5 miles of leg 7 in 57:57, which is a 6:50 pace.  Very happy with that, I took down 13 teams along the way.  Sorry we didn't get more of a chance to chat, you had a helluva day.  Same pace as my run, but held it for 15.7 miles.  Nicely done Eric.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Great run Ed that leg looked brutal..our runner had to double up and run 7+8 back to back...he did well considering, but got passed by 7 or so teams.

I was pretty happy with both of my legs..considering I ran my first mile at an 8:20 pace...damn that mountain that they call a hill on Leg 3..felt more like a goat going up it than a runner...my legs are beat today..hoping to get out tomorrow and shake out some of the built up lactic acid..I am supposed to run the hampton half on Sunday, if my legs bounce back...I had planned to race it pretty hard, but may need to rethink as the week goes along.

MTA: They put up the official leg times..looks like I ran the first leg faster than I thought..came out to 6:45's..I'll take it considering I started with that 8:20

I like that they provide the ranking for the individual legs, I ran leg 7 for the Shamrock Hilltoppers and my official time of 57:25 was 11th out of 96.  I wound up having a great time, I'll probably run the relay again.

E.J.

I would love to do Winni next year and would forego Applefest if it lands on the same day again. Maybe we can put together a solid Good Times team next year??!!
                        It is a very fun race, especially with nice weather...I already committed to run again next year with my team, if they have 8..no more doubles for me, if I can help it.
                          A couple pics of GT runners at Winni by Ted Tyler of Coolrunning (as always, LOTS more at http://www.jimrhoades.com/ )

MTA: credit for photos

E.J.