Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Jack Kerouac 5K (official Good Times Reunion) (Read 641 times)

Jack.

Well we all know it and love it.  Its the Jack Kerouac 5k race out of Hookslide Kellys, September 27, 2009.  I haven't signed up yet but I know I will.  I'm hoping that this will be a PR for me.  So far its the only 5k on my calendar until next year.

I'm probably in, it's a week after my final long run.  Hate that there was a falling out with Yankee Timing, but would also hate to miss it.  Keep up the miles Trent, and nail that PR.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Unfortunate that its not a Camire production but it's such a good time, it's hard to pass up.  It doesnt feel like I've been doing more miles until I look at my log from last year.  I really hope I can pick up some PRs between now and the Good Times season opener.
        evtish

I just signed up. 

What else would be better than running through Lowell in the rain on Sunday and then catching the Pats game.

It'll be good to have a a few mucho drinks with you guys!

I hate that hill though.

I hate that hill though.

I'm not supposed to be running much, never mind "racing".  I'm sorta pretty sure I registered, so I plan on limping up and down the hill for the hell of it.  It's a love/hate thing, hate it on the way up and love it on the way down.  Didn't it rain last year too?

I don't know that I can stomach watching the Patriots, they are starting to remind me of the Patsies teams we had for SO long.  Much ungoodness.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

evtish

I don't know that I can stomach watching the Patriots, they are starting to remind me of the Patsies teams we had for SO long.  Much ungoodness.

We're only 2 games in!  Give TB a chance to brush off the rust.

Gotta stay postive.  It's way too easy to be sucked into the negative.  I'm a glass half empty type of guy, surrounded by cynical engineers all day, myself included, so the dark side is always lurking.

In Bill we trust!

So is your "limping" speed only a 6 mpm pace?

In Bill we trust!

So is your "limping" speed only a 6 mpm pace?

In Bill we trust indeed.  But 50% of the D were nobodies last year, and they have been looking pretty shaky.

After running a leg (or possibly two legs) at Winnipesaukee tomorrow, I think my limping pace will be considerably slower than 6:00.  Doesn't really matter though, it's the beer pace that really counts on a September Sunday afternoon.

E.J.

Well I think its safe to say that I will not set a PR at Jack.  This month has been terrible for me and I don't even know why.
                    Well I think its safe to say that I will not set a PR at Jack.  This month has been terrible for me and I don't even know why.

I guess RickyB has been slacking?  Even if you had a great month, I don't think the day after Applefest is your best bet for a PR anyway.

E.J.

Well I got a PR at Applefest by 1 minute and 33 seconds. 
                      DekRunner

Congrats Trent!  Who knows ... you may surprise the hell out of yourself and get another PR tomorrow at JK.

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/09/ma/Sep27_Keroua_set1.shtml

Nice job, EJ!

How would you rate this course compared to Good Times? If Good Times is a 7 out of 10 for ease and speed, then what would you rate JK5K?

Weather was pretty crappy where I was (horrible head wind), so I'm assuming it was the same up here.

RickyB

Rickyb Isn't slacking, He's training to nail down a 5 mile pr at the Bobby Bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How have you guys been? Festus and I have been talking about a goodtimes fun run. We want to do an out and back 10k on the goodtimes course. Anyone interested if so what day during the week is good? I would assume a Tuesday would work?
                            evtish

Sure. 

Would suggest a 6 PM start so it's not too dark.

Name the date.

How would you rate this course compared to Good Times? If Good Times is a 7 out of 10 for ease and speed, then what would you rate JK5K?

Weather was pretty crappy where I was (horrible head wind), so I'm assuming it was the same up here.

I wish I knew the streets we were running on, or that I was wearing a Garmin so I could show the elevation map.  No real dramatic hills, but a lot of the first half is uphill.  SInce it is an out-and-back, a lot of the second half is downhill.  I'm not a very good downhill runner, so the downhills never seem to give back the time the uphills have taken away.

The weather in Lowell was actually pretty good, it wasn't windy but it was really humid.  I would say the course is somewhere around a minute slower that GT5K, but hard to say how much tired legs play into it.

Rickyb Isn't slacking, He's training to nail down a 5 mile pr at the Bobby Bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't saying YOUR running was slacking, I was saying your stalking of Trent's log and shaming/motivating was slacking.  Which it was.  Shame on you, it's YOUR fault not Trent's.  

Good luck with your PR, sad to say I'll be in New York running the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon.  I love the Bobby Bell, that's a great afterparty.

E.J.