Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Does anyone know how to improve 5k Time in a week. (Read 410 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Last night was great but I would like to break 30 mins. Ed stop laughting. I know I'm slow. But I would really like to take the ten sec's Off last nights time to finally get under 30. Any Idea's. I plan on running the course on my own again on sat. For practice. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

2 suggestions: 1. I asked essentially the same question to Blaine Moore last week, I was trying to drop 20 secs off my time. After qualifying his response by saying "if you are in shape to run sub 19," he suggested running 4x800 meter intervals at the pace you need to be (or a little faster) no more than 3 days prior to the race. So I ran intervals on Saturday (I modified his advice a little by running 4 x 1/4 mile intervals in 1:32, 1:30, 1:28, 1: 26).... and I ran 20 seconds slower last night. Go figure. I think the advice is good, but I don't think it worked for me last night because I was fatigued (I ran a lot of fast miles last week), the heat and some GI issues I was battling. 2. Run til you are on the verge of hurling and then hold that pace.
      evtish

Start closer to the front near sidewalk, maybe 3rd row. Run fast to Tsongas and cut the corner Evil grin and run on the sidewalk, cruise down to the S-curve. Also, cut corner across grass Evil grin coming off the Aiken bridge; Starting up front: -5 sec. Fast to corner and cut it on sidewalk: -5 sec Cruising to S-curve; - 5 sec. Cut across grass off of bridge; -2 sec. There's an easy 17 sec for you Doug just by changing tactics. Evil grin If you want more, run normal easy miles up until Friday. On Sat, run 3x440 at 9's. rest between. On Sun, run 2x440 at 9's. Remember to do a 10 min warmup and cooldown jog. Ice legs or knees afterwards to help recovery. Take Mon off to rest. Your legs will feel freshly rested for Tues night and ready to turn over quickly during the race. See ya, Tom
          Hey Tom, you didn't like my advice no. 2?
          evtish

Oh yeah! run until about to puke! worked for me. I just wanted to give him the easy way out. Anyone running in Foxboro Against Diabetes this weekend? Could be t-storms.
              I can't stop laughing if I never started. The advice you've already gotten is as good as any I could give you. For the short term, I would say doing 3 or 4 mile repeats on a track would be good. Run four laps, walk one to recover, then repeat. If it's one of the rubberized tracks it's easier on your legs and would leave you in better shape for Tuesday night. For the long term, I can only echo MikeyMike's comment to MTFU. You know the TFU part, The M stands for mileage. You have to run SLOW for your long runs, the speed will take care of itself. I'm pulling for you my friend. Runners are pretty much 100% mental, and I have a feeling you want it bad enough to get it. Smile

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Tom Thanks for the advise. How ever I don't think will work not fair to the faster runners that's why I start In the back. Starting up front: -5 sec. Fast to corner and cut it on sidewalk: -5 sec I don't know what you mean by this? Cruising to S-curve; - 5 sec. Again I am lost. Cut across grass off of bridge; -2 sec. Don't think This is legal. But worth a shot. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Tom Thanks for the advise. How ever I don't think will work not fair to the faster runners that's why I start In the back. Starting up front: -5 sec. Fast to corner and cut it on sidewalk: -5 sec I don't know what you mean by this? Cruising to S-curve; - 5 sec. Again I am lost. Cut across grass off of bridge; -2 sec. Don't think This is legal. But worth a shot. Doug.
                  In other words, cheat.

upcoming races:

evtish

In other words, cheat.
                    Shocked You made it sound so sinister Evil grin

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Well when I was landing my last round of PR's, I basically just went out and ran and whenever I saw a runner coming in the other direction, I would sprint fast to look good. Then slow down when they looked the other way. Same applied if there was a hot girl. If you hear a dog barking in the neighborhood, pretend like its a vicious dog thats going to eat you if you dont run fast enough. And run fast when a fast song comes on your ipod. Whatever you do, dont listen to Ed. I have increased my mileage doing slow miles and that doesnt help with the 5ks. Do interval training. Find out what your pace was that got you your last PR. Run at a faster than that pace for as long as you can sustain it, then run slow for awhile, then pick up that pace again and repeat until you pass out on the curb, hopefully near an ice cream stand
                        LSD will absolutely help with speed, but NOT for this week. It will knock a minute or more off your Spring 5K time in 2009.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You shouldn't be advocating drugs.
                            You shouldn't be advocating drugs.
                            Dude, only bicycling is dirtier than Track & Field. Just say yes.

E.J.