Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Mill Cities Relay (Read 432 times)

Once upon a time on the hallowed grounds of Hookslide Kelly's, Frank Kennedy recommended putting a team together for the Mill Cities Relay. Not knowing that participants had to be members of a participating club, a number of email addresses were scribbled on a paper plate creating a binding agreement to run the race (and yes it was binding even if you were suffering significant alcohol-induced impairment of good judgment). When Rich and Kathy snuck off and ran the 2007 MCR for the Greater Derry Track Club, the team spirit that we had created was DASHED. But we must not allow our flame of hope to be extinguished. To the contrary, we must fan the flame of hope until it becomes a raging inferno that drives the evil known as GDTC from the Mill Cities Alliance. This is my quest. To this end, I will be defending the running honor of the great mill city of Lowell on Sunday morning by running the second leg of MCR. As you sit by the hearth sipping cocoa on a chilly Sunday morning, think of me standing on the side of the road freezing my ass off. Don't be sad, know that bitterness is warming the cockles of my heart.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You will probably see lots of familiar faces throughout the day. It's a great event. What club are you running for?

upcoming races:

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Ed best of luck. I don't belong to a club that is egible to run otherwise I would join you. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

You will probably see lots of familiar faces throughout the day. It's a great event. What club are you running for?
          Greater Lowell Road Runners, team is A Touch of Gray Or None, bib #163. I'm hoping yours will be among the familiar faces on the course? Jessica and Sue will be running for the Gate City Striders Healthy Beavers. No bitterness directed toward that team for cockle warming, ya gotta love healthy beavers.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

No, we won't be there. We're heading to the Mullins Center for UMass / BC hoops and staying out there for the weekend. I am sorry to miss it.

upcoming races:

No, we won't be there. We're heading to the Mullins Center for UMass / BC hoops and staying out there for the weekend. I am sorry to miss it.
              Sorry to hear you guys won't be there. How am I gonna hate on ya if you're out at the Zoo? Wink There's always next year for the grudge match. Have fun in my old stomping grounds, I know you'll tip a pint or two for me.

E.J.

WTF Ed, I thought you were morally opposed to joining any running club. What happened?
                  WTF Ed, I thought you were morally opposed to joining any running club. What happened?
                  C'mon Jay, you of all people should know that long haired leftover hippie liberals have no morals. Actually, I'm just too lazy. At the first Good Times series I ran, they were offering a discount on GLRR membership. I think it was $7.00 instead of $25.00. I was going to join, but I didn't even know anybody at Good Times never mind GLRR. And I figured they were REAL runners, and I wasn't. I had been meaning to send in the check since BayState, but just got around to it last week. I got an email from Glenn on Tuesday asking if I would run MCR and I said what the hell. I did warn him that I'm struggling to maintain 7:00 pace, so hopefully my (very fast) teammates are OK with that. I'm definitely the weakest link. I'm going to send a check to Shamrock Running Club of Woburn this week too, because I know a couple of them too and they is nice peeps. I've run a few of the Shamrock/Irish American's Club races and they're a blast. I joined them for their Thursday night run this week, and they knock down beers and chow down pizza. Where have I done that before? It has a familiar ring to it. Smile The Shamrocks have a five miler on New Year's Day with a nice potluck lunch after. Most folks head for Salisbury, but that's more of a haul than I want to make with a hangover. Checked the website, and it wasn't listed a couple of days ago. I know the webmaster, I'll give him some crap.

E.J.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Whats wrong with joining a running club? I joined one this year. My $25 has paid major dividends: monthly meetings w/ runners to drink beer (free appetizers) free year end dinner free awards dinner won a GLRR tech shirt at year end dinner so when I race everyone yells "Go Lowell!" be a part of putting on a race: had fun volunteering at baystate made running buddies to train with when I'm lacking motivation free shit for volunteering: pair of shoes, tech polo shirt, tech running shirt and the #1 reason: free entry into any of the USATF grand prix running series. The 2009 schedule: Feb 22 - DH Jones 10 Mile, Amherst MA Mar 15 - New Bedford Half-Marathon, New Bedford MA May 16 - Bedford Rotary 12K, Bedford NH June 7 - Rhody 5K, Lincoln RI Sept 12 - Ollie 5 Mile, South Boston MA Sept 20 - Lone Gull 10K, Gloucester MA Oct 18 - Bay State Marathon, Lowell MA