Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Don't do this...bad for training plan (Read 408 times)

evtish

Played scrimmage full court basketball games with my Fr-Soph team against a rival for an hour during our Monday night practice.  The coaches from the other team played too, so it was all out trying to one up each other.  It was fun, but now I need to take a day off from running because my groin,hips, and calves are sore from all the quick cuts and jumping.  I was on a good streak too.  Damn!

My mind says go, but my body says don't do it.

DekRunner

Count that as your speed workout for the week.  When I play hoops, it is my knees and feet that ache the next day or two.

Now you know how I feel playing dek hockey and trying to keep up with my running.

I remember those days. I stopped playing basketball because of the morning after pains...same applies to flag/tackle football, especially if you haven't played in awhile.

RickyB

I've been playing hockey almost every day for about 3 weeks, and I havent felt better! I think that it's helped me a ton. I usualy have something wrong with my Hip,Ankle,Shin,Achillies,or foot from running, since I've started playing hockey again I have much less pain. It's crazy I never feel anything in my quads or hamstrings when I run but I definitely do after hockey! (in a good way) I think that it's makeing the mussels that I dont normally use running stronger and balancing everything out.
          evtish

Count that as your speed workout for the week.  When I play hoops, it is my knees and feet that ache the next day or two.

Now you know how I feel playing dek hockey and trying to keep up with my running.

Well, we're just old...what's Jason and Ricky's excuse.

Are you playing at the new rink at Golds?

DekRunner

Are you playing at the new rink at Golds?

Nope.  I am still playing in Leominster.  Don't know if I want to play in two leagues at my age.  I am going to look into the Spring Leagues.  They usually start up somewhere around the end of March.  Who knows ... maybe I'll give it a shot.

I don't do sharp cuts any more in any sport, I think I would dislocate my hip or something.  You're a brave man Tom.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

DekRunner

I don't do sharp cuts any more in any sport, I think I would dislocate my hip or something.  You're a brave man Tom.

... and stay away from the lawnmower too Ed!

... and stay away from the lawnmower too Ed!

Believe me, I think about that delightful event all the time. That and the NHL goalie split on the ice a couple years ago, that was another good one. I gotta buy some bubble wrap.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.