Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

anyone know where I can buy a new pair of ankles? (Read 240 times)

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

I rested up for two weeks. I ran 5 miles two days before the Thanksgiving 5 miler and the 5 miler. My ankles still like to swell up. I'mm not sure what to do but this waiting game sucks. I could get a pair of ankle braces but I think those are more for prevention and also comfort for when you're hurt. They dont help you heal faster do they? What to do...what to do... Also it hurts in my feet above the heal when I do a seated calf stretch in both feet. Anone have these sorts of problems? Cry Cry Cry

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

i think its just my new shoes. the width of the shoe is fine overall but its just narrow in the ankle which is why im swelling up. no more brooks for me. Sad
      evtish

Hey Dennis. You might think about icing, ibu, and just stationary biking for the next couple weeks just too make sure your healed before you start the pounding weight bearing of running. Maybe limit the running time to 30 to 45 minutes per workout when you make your comeback and gradually increase the time on the feet. Good luck with a speedy recovery. Tom
          The only thing that has helped my ankles (after rolling them or just swelling for some unknown reason) is icing them. I use a lot of ice (no icemaker so I use three trays) and really cold water in a bathroom size rectangular trash can. The trash can lets me ice further up the leg, when I've had ankle issues it usually impacts the leg toward my calf as well. I ice for at least a half hour, usually leave it in until the ice is pretty much gone. The usual prescription is RICE, for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Adding some of the other elements might not be a bad idea. After BayState, I was OK until the day after a 14 mile recovery run. My ankle was pretty swollen (but no pain there) and my shin felt like somebody hit it with a crowbar. I didn't run at all for two weeks, and thankfully (knock wood) that seemed to fix things up pretty well. I personally never do any stretching anymore, when I did I found that I was doing more harm than good. MTA: best of luck with your recovery Dennis.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

The last half I did was Manchester on 11/2.....(it was a great race) Massage lady said legs were tight. Next day I did a two mile recovery run. I didnt felt great but felt ok. The day after I went out for another easy two mile run. My legs were so tight that I couldn't run. So I'm like ok, I'm going to take the rest of the week off. 11/9: Tried running one lap of stone cat 26.2 miler. Ran it about 13:00 pace. I said shoot. Something's not right. Decided to delay running until Turkey Day. Ran the turkey five miler and was sort of limp running near the end but didnt notice anything much. Since then, my leg swelled for a couple days. Crap. I've rested them just about all week. Last couple days have been worse. Yesterday I went out with mom for lunch and upon returning my leg swelled. No running just driving to pizza place sitting and eating then driving home. My leg swelled today just from getting off the coucn ahd picking up mom from store. I though RICE meant just eat lots of yummy sticky chinese rice. JK! I've been resting, icing and elevating. What is compression? How do I do that?
              As far as I know, the compression would be use of an ACE bandage or elastic support. If it's swelling from driving short distances or just walking around the house you might want to have a doctor check it out. Doesn't sound right.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Dennis, Are you getting enough alcohol?

upcoming races:

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

No Rich, Definitely not enough alcohol. I havent had a beer in.....Damn I cant remember. I got champagne that was randomly given to me at the Hangover 10K last year. Can't say that I'm a fan. Usually a sip of wine gives me an instant headache, and champagne is like wine's cousin so its probably a bad idea to open it up. If anyone could deliver me a six pack or two that would be great! If I go out and get it, my foot will start throbbing and swelling if I do. The Agony!!!

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

No health insurance. No doc. ;( What's the doc going to do? I'm not getting surgery. I should/could do PT but I cant imagine what the bill would be without just paying a co-pay through health insurance plan. I'm going to have to see which way I can get "cheap" health insurance on Monday since its the weekend.