Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

DO NOT EAT EGGS AND DRINK COFFEE BEFORE A 5 MILE RACE!!!!! (Read 385 times)

RickyB

Well the Bobby Bell went GREAT ! I got that PR......................................

I wonder what kind of time that I could have got had I double knoted my shoes?

I wonder what kind of time that I could have got had I not drank to much coffee before the race?

I wonder what kind of time that I could have got had I not ate 2 Poached eggs before the race?

I wonder what kind of time that I could have got had I not thrown in my up in my mouth for the last 2 miles?

I must have looked fantastic pukeing coming into the finish line and in the schute at the end, I am kind of proud of myself for sticking that one out! There were a few times I thought that I would drop out but every time I looked at my watch I realized that I could still get a PR. Three miles trying to hold your breakfast down sucks!!!!!! It also sucks that it had to come up 100 ft from the finisline. Hopefuly I'll redem myself next week trying to set a 5k PR.I can't wait to see the pics

Nice Job Ricky on the PR and Pukin' rally
      evtish

Hey, I got you award for the age group - it's a nice pint glass.  I missed getting one for your Dad, I'm pretty sure he had won one too.  I'll keep it in my car and give it to you next time I see you.

I'm proud that you sucked it up and had a beer!

Run Danvers 5k on Wed night - good people and beer is highly encouraged.

Congrats, Rick! Wish I could have been there to see your finish!Smile Last minutes plans got canceled at 10:45AM...I was ready to drive up to Haverhill....bummer.

Congrats Ricky!

RickyB

It wasn't pretty! All I could picture was my dad passing me while pukeing at the end of the race! would have made a great pic!

I dunno, you got a PR.  Maybe you should always drink coffee and eat eggs before the race, and puke during.  It's hard to argue with success.

Nicely done.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nicely done.

Speak of nicely done, Great job Ed on the new marathon PR

RickyB

Nicley done to you! My race was a walk in the park compared to yours! Thats a Great time for anyone, especially someone of your...........Lets say..........Years? J/K GREAT JOB!!!!!!!
                    evtish

RACE REPORT:

Showed up about 20 min before start, had to park illegally >1/4 mile away.  This made for an excellent warmup jog to get my number and packet and return to my car to put shirt away.  Jogged down a sidestreet for a little bit.  Wandered to the race start and bumped into Ricky the younger and Rick the elder.  Other GT peeps sightings included Dennis, Kathy and Rich, Sue Donovan, Pam, Ken G, Dan D, and others I'm not intentionally forgetting, but I am getting old and it's the first thing to go.  Anyway, race about to start and I toe the line with ipod wearing Ricky.  Gun goes off, we shoot out, then back way off to a 6:30 pace while mobs fly by like we're standing still.  1/2 mile in Ricky picks it up and moves ahead...Ricky makes weird move to sidewalk...Ricky stops to tie shoe...Tom passes Ricky.  Mile 1 in ~ 6:33ish Garmin time, 6:17 volunteer call out time.  Ricky catches Tom and moves ahead going up the long hill.  Ricky stays about 50 yds ahead for a long time.  At ~2 miles in, Tom sees Jim Rhodes with camera so makes sure to wave to him.  What a nice guy Jim is, taking all those pictures in these races and posting them on his website, free of charge, Bad Dawgs favorite price.   At 2.5 mile water stop, Tom grabs some water and graciously thanks the volunteer.  Tom thinks he's pacing pretty good, but there are sure alot of runners ahead of me.  Finally crested the last of the hill, now it's the BIG downhill.  So I lean forward and go and start passing runners, 1,2,3...gaining on Ricky....past Ricky...hit bottom of the hill and try to keep a good pace, I'm breathing pretty heavily for sure...I'm waiting for Ricky to pass me...I'm surprised it doesn't happen..clock just turns 33 as I finish.   I get a drink, go back to the chute and see Ricky on all fours on the ground.  He tells me he just puked right at the finish...I see the large nasty chunky puddle right at the finish line.  I grab him some water and he gets up.  I hit the bar, but the barmaid tells me the tickets aren't good until after 12:00, crap.  I'm the first one to the food table and grab pasta and cake.  Meet up with Ricky later and convince him that having a beer is a good idea, the stomach is empty.  He mans up and has one.  Luckily for me, he gives me his extra beer ticket.

So, it was a good race and I got alot for my entry fee:

I got a PR, but finished out of top 12 AG because the whole f'n Whirlaway masters racing team shows up.

I had 4 beers, which is nice.  Last 1 some guy bought me bc he felt bad they weren't accepting tickets anymore and I didn't have any money with me.  Thank you.

I had pasta, cake, and a hot dog.

T-shirt and back scratcher.

Plus I took Ricky's pint glass  

Now I'm planning on upping my mileage to 40-50mpw to see if I can get faster.  We'll see how long that lasts.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Ricky's new nickname:

Ricky Barfarino

Next Races:

Lexington Battlegreen 10K

11/1

Chilly Half Marathon

11/15

Thanks4giving

Thanksgiving

10 mile turkey trot

(sunday after thanksgiving in Marlboro)

1st Run 10K Lowell

1/1/2010

Derry 16 Miler (of Hell)

1/?/2010

Ricky- literally LMAO!! so glad to check in and see what I missed at the Bobby Bell.

See some of you all next sunday in Lowell!

All photos by Jim Rhoades of Coolrunning (as always, LOTS more at http://www.jimrhoades.com/ )

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.