Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Semi-ficial Thread: 24 Hour Relay Wakefield, MA (dubbed: Mistake on the Lake) (Read 309 times)

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Hi everybody, Have we found a sixth person for our team? We only need one more right? Is this going to happen? Dennis~
      It's looking increasingly unlikely. As far as I know, we still only have you, me, Trent and Cap'n Doug. That leaves us two shy of the minimum, and I'm not sure you really want to run a relay in July with the minimum. Doug has sent several emails to the race director asking about being matched up with other runners, but at last check hadn't heard anything back.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Well Melissa said she would run if we were one short so we technically only need one. I'll ask director Dave if announcer Dave will ask to see if we can rally a couple people.

Czech guy

Hello, I've signed up for the race. I will run the ultra. But if it is possible to run the ultra and also run for a team and if you need another member, you can try to add me. Vladimir Suchan vsuchan@maine.edu
            Hello, I've signed up for the race. I will run the ultra. But if it is possible to run the ultra and also run for a team and if you need another member, you can try to add me. Vladimir Suchan vsuchan@maine.edu
            Hey Vlad, not sure how you stumbled upon our humble little group but it's nice of you to do so. Even if we don't get a team together, we are now officially obligated to show up and cheer for you at the very least. Oh Cap'n Doug, you out there? Any news?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

OK we're all a little sad that we never got out of semi-ficial status. As any veteran Sox fan can tell you, there's always next year. So pick your chin up Bunky, and be of good cheer. Our ineffective but lovable Captain is registered for the Marathon this evening, so I'll be stopping by to cheer him and Vlad on and maybe even put in a lap or two or six. If you're in the neighborhood, be sure to join us.

E.J.

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Ed and anyone else from the group. I picked up a 12 pack of coors light and a 12 pack of bass ale after polloing my coworkers and those were the two most popular. mel will have in in the cooler see her. Hope to see you tonight. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Have fun tonight guys!
                    Have fun tonight guys!
                    Guess that depends on your definition of fun, if you are a masochist* it was. It was really damned humid, although there was an occasional breeze to help. I showed up on Doug's third lap, and his feet were already giving him grief. Undaunted he duct taped 'em and headed back out. I put in a twenty miler then hung around until the bell lap, at mile 23 there was a good patch of his right shoe that was blood soaked. Quite an HTFU effort, hope you are recovering well Doug. The ale was very tasty. *by definition, runners are masochists

E.J.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

oh crap, i forgot to cancel our room. Surprised I hope I didnt get charged. Black eye Doug, did you make it to 26.2? Doug why did you buy a lot of beer? Doesnt it only take 1 to get you hammered? Is that what it took to get you through all those miles? Thats it. I am adding beer to my training regimen.
                      lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Mistake at the lake report Well, I should have known that it was not going to be my day when I started getting calf cramps on the drive to Wakefield for the race. I spent a hour and a half in stop and go traffic on Route 128. Once I arrived, I was able to massage out the cramp, and downed a pint of propel. The registration line was pretty short , so I warmed up and felt fairly good. My calf was still sore but most of the cramp was gone. By this time, the starting announcements were being made. We learned that the marathon would be starting in a different location than the ultra and relay races. The start was to be on the other side of the parking lot, by the billboards. We were told to head over there and would be met by the starter. Once we got around the building to the other side, we were lead to another point about a ¼ mile farther away. As another runner put it, she felt like we were going on a walking tour of Boston with a tour guide pointing out the sights. During this walk, I met two very friendly ladies, who are going to walk the marathon. I can’t remember their names, but I’m sure I’ll see them again as this is a loop course. It’s time for one last announcement , and the race director starts the countdown , followed by the shout of “Go” and we were off! My first marathon start, and I am passing people . This should have been a sign that it was going to be very long night. After a few minutes, I realized I had not started my Garmin 305 , or as my wife calls it “Garmie”. So I started it, so I can record my data. Up ahead is the turnaround point, the race director mentioned and now we are heading back to the point where the ultra and relays start. I passed Mel and was feeling pretty good (see photo) .Now I have reached the rest of the course, 8 laps around the lake. First lap, I’m feeling pretty good, nice pace or so I thought, until I checked my watch. Garmin told me I was running a 8:58 pace. I slowed down and headed out for my second lap. I was still cruising along much faster that I should have. I was trying to keep up with Dave, who was wearing a Marathon Maniacs shirt and Tom, who had traveled from Green Bay. I enjoyed listening to Dave tell Tom about some of the over 200 marathons he has run .I passed them but had to stop at the water stop as I can not drink and run (or even walk) Now I’ve made it through the first six miles, still feeling pretty good, but my pace is still fast .for me .I am now at a 9:18 pace about 2 minutes faster that I had planned. It seems pacing is an issue for me lately in 5Ks and 10Ks , I’m just starting out too fast. I slowed down a bit more and introduced myself to Dave & Tom and told them that I am a marathon virgin, and have enjoyed hearing about some of the other marathons that Dave has run. I followed them for a lap, and during this time, the hot spot on my left foot worsened into a painful blister. Once I got back to the start, I was able to apply a blister bandage after I changed my socks- I also asked Mel to call Ed, and have him bring either moleskin or duct tape. Mel had struck up a conversation with Sandy, who was there cheering for her husband Joe and a friend Kathy, who were walking the ultra and marathon respectively. Sandy would have been walking herself, but the combination of no ½ marathon option and recent knee surgery kept her on the sidelines. I barely get thru the next lap, and Ed has arrived with roll of the handyman’s secret weapon- duct tape. After taping up both feet, I headed back out along with Ed. I did a little bit of jogging only to discover that I have taped my feet too tight and now my toes are numb and my foot hurts. I get back to start and re tape my feet so I can continue. I head back out and continue running/jogging/walking when I spot a familiar face from a few other local races. I don’t remember his name, but we talked and ran together for about another lap. By this time, I have blisters on my right foot and it is bleeding. I am now at mile 18 and probably should have quit. I made my way over to Mel and collapsed in her chair. She brought me a protein drink and now my calves and quads are cramping . A couple of other runners had mentioned taking sodium tablets, but I had not tried them before, so I stuck to the idea of “nothing new” on race day and opted for some goldfish crackers instead. I had some more propel, changed my socks and headed out again. I spotted Ed and thanked him again for coming out to support me. By the way, he got a 20 mile run in during the time it took me to run 9 miles. On my next loop, (miles 19-21) I met a woman who was doing the ultra and her husband who was riding his bike so he could check on her during the laps. I finished this lap, and discovered that my lap times have gone from 30 minutes a lap to one hour and 20 minutes of stumbling. I was surprised Ed was still hanging out and I thanked him again. I staggered off for the final lap, not knowing this would be my longest lap yet. It took me an hour and 33 minutes to finish. Many times I had to will myself to continue. I keep repeating to myself: “You can do this” “Believe in yourself” As it was, it took all of my stubborn self as I stumbled in the final lap, both feet bloodied and my spirit broken. After finishing in a time of 8 hours and 33 minutes, I have now finished my first marathon. I got my medal around my neck and felt ashamed that it took me so long to finish. Best I can say, is I competed he marathon distance, but I was not competing. I really underestimated the distance. I failed to respect the distance, and as Ed tells me ( You can get up that morning feeling great, and everything falls apart. You can be well trained, know the course, and have the race planned out in your mind....then you have to readjust your plan mid race. ) Fortitudine Vincimus (by Endurance We Conquer) Thoughts - First off, let me say a few good things about the overall marathon experience. I feel like it was a well run race. This was my first marathon, and while I had a good time, The course, overall, is well lighted When you consider it is run at night and the volunteers friendly and helpful. I am a pathetically slow runner. I am disappointed that the race did not go as I had planned. But as I sit here and write this report, I think, I will do another marathon. Even though this was my First full marathon, I have learned a very valuable lesson. I should have RESPECTED THE DISTANCE! 26.2 mile is a LONG way and you never know what race day holds. I think the half marathon is my distance as my time at the halfway point was 2:27:13 according to Garmin and I was feeling pretty good .The next 13.1 miles took 5 hours and were some of the most painful steps I have ever taken. As I told Mel on the ride home, I have “Dougternation” but not many brains, stubborn as a mule and I used to weigh as much as one.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

By this time, I have blisters on my right foot and it is bleeding. I am now at mile 18 and probably should have quit.
                          I probably would have called it a night, I was amazed that you were able to keep going.
                          As it was, it took all of my stubborn self as I stumbled in the final lap, both feet bloodied and my spirit broken.
                          Fixed it for you.
                          After finishing in a time of 8 hours and 33 minutes, I have now finished my first marathon. I got my medal around my neck Fortitudine Vincimus (by Endurance We Conquer)
                          I said it that night and I'll say it again, I believe it's less punishing to run a four hour marathon than an eight hour marathon. That was some major vincimus-ing.
                          I am a pathetically slow runner.
                          More fixin'.
                          26.2 mile is a LONG way and you never know what race day holds.
                          I would be willing to bet your 50 state maniac friends would tell you this is still true for them, even with all those notches on their belts.
                          I have “Dougternation”
                          Yeah determination doesn't quite describe it, you probably do deserve your own word. I'm sure the lessons learned will serve you well in races of any distance Doug, hope you are recovering well.

E.J.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Doug, dont doubt yourself. You will get faster in time. Doing longer distances will help your shorter distances seem easy. You're making progress. Congrats. Enjoy. Reward yoruself for finishing your first. Your story will be inspiration for us all. Doug never quit. Took him eight hours, duct taping bloody feet, but he went on. He conquered. The show will go on!! I thought maybe you were doing the marathon distance too early in your running career but I didnt think my words would have stopped you. You've got Dougternation baby, yeah!!!!!!!