Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Boston Prep (16 miles on 1/25 in Derry, NH) (Read 255 times)

The 14th Annual Boston Prep 16 miler (also known simply as "Derry") is supposed to be brutally hilly. I've never run it, so I think I'll go and give it a shot. Weather and footing can range from great to horrendous, but such is New England in Winter. For runners it's just fun, fun and more fun. Online registration - $35.00 Mail-in entry -$40.00. If received by 1/16/09. After 1/16/09 and day of race entry $45.00. No Refunds. Amenities: * Hi Tech Zippered Mock Turtle Shirt to all that sign up * CHIP Timing provided by New England Timing. Splits at 5, 10, 13.1 * Mile markers at every mile, with four water/Gatorade stops at 3, 6, 9, & 12 miles * Selected by New England Runner as one of the Top 50 Races in New England!! * Plenty of post race soup & other refreshments Beneficiary: Benefits the Greater Derry Track Club Summer Fun Runs for Kids Program

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Ooops didnt see that you started a thread on this already. I will be sure to see you there!! At least pre-race, and maybe in the finish...if you're still around then..I hope I finish early enough to get a free massage. Last year, when I got in there, the massage table was packing up.Shocked
      lostinthenet3

MM#1869

ed and denis good luck on sunday.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

ed and denis good luck on sunday.
          Thanks Doug, from what I hear it's a very tough course so a little luck can't hurt. I'm supposed to tack on another four miles to boot, I have 20 on the schedule on Sunday. We'll see how I do with sixteen hilly miles in bitter cold, then I'll make the call on the bonus miles.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Thanks Doug, I didnt go. I'v been resting up the ankle. I got a 3 level compression brace from Olmpia Sports for my right ankle. Feels much better since then. Need to start doing strength exercises and get out there again soon!!! I hope you did well ED. What did you get for completing it?
              I hope you did well ED. What did you get for completing it?
              I did OK, finished at 2:07:38 for an overall pace of 7:59. That is one hilly course, so I'm actually pretty happy with the time. It was snowing last year, I can't imagine how hard it would be running up and down those hills with lousy footing. It is a nice course, and I only encountered one driver who could qualify as the New Hampshire version of a Masshole. Nothing for finishing, just the shirt which you picked up with your number. It's a nice quarter zip technical shirt, with the "Moderately Challenging" slogan on the front and the hill graphic from the first post on the back. I don't think the graphic is breathable, but at least it's not as large as that horrendous dinner plate sized Applefest logo on the front from a couple years ago. If you signed up and paid the registration fee, it would definitely be worth paying the postage if GDTC is willing to send it to you. I was pretty dehydrated and I think my taste buds were frozen, but there was a nice variety of food afterwards. I was more focused on Powerade and hot chocolate, and just choked down a couple of Domino's slices. If there was a massage table or chair I didn't see it.

E.J.