Toronto and Beyond

Really, how is everyone? Summer 2012 edition (Read 107 times)

Go Pre!

I am on the DL, another week no running. 2 weeks off will be the longest ever but I strained my anterior calf muscle stepping into a rock and hyper flexing my foot. This was just after 1 of 4 loops (14k each) at the Limberlost 56k trail race. It didn't hurt right away but it hurt like a mother after the race. At half way though, i knew something was up so between the 32 degree heat and the soreness coming on, I called it a day at 28k.

To numb the pain of being sideline, i bought a road bike for cross training and to have something half decent for any triathlons I may do this summer.

Hope all is well - stay in touch!

Dave

Sorry to hear about your injury...

I do a little road cycling.... its fun.  Finished a 166km charity ride this past weekend.....

I'd consider a Tri but I'm a pretty weak swimmer..... I'm best when swimming to a bar for cervezas.

Jason

redleaf

See and I'd do one where I didn't have to ride a bike Big grin

Back at the start again. Thesis is done and submitted though so really no more excuses. Working back up to just regularly running again. Going to add some cross-training this week to help lose weight too.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Dave, half man half animal, awesome running stats! Ruth I'm going to pass on walking in the Midsummer event, afterall 15km and not carrying a mailbag just doesn't seem like a challenge (please don't say I can bring a mailbag).Big grin. However if most of you are going down, I'd definitely show up  and have a beer with you all.

Congrats on the addition to your family Jason. Fantastic!

Hi Lee I was surprised to see you're still running. Guess we don't talk muchWink

Anyway  I smashed through the 1.7km barrier tonight. 2k going down tomorrow,  Won't be long now Cry Yep, yep starting all over is going to be rough but if Carolyn stays with it, we'll have a blast I'm sure.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

redleaf

;P just started again. Like really. Will be doing Day 1 Week 3 of my learn to run. I figure it'd be easier to lose 50 pounds if beer didn't taste so good.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I'm really lucky, since I started so late. My addiction dedication to running has not waned since I began. I am feeling very good this year after recovering from multiple injuries. I put the slow recovery down to age but it is more important to stop running than it is to persevere sometimes. Perhaps I should have read this fact sheet first: 

Information About Your Medication

<h6>The pharmacological lowdown on running</h6>

By Scott Douglas
              As featured in the Web Only issue of Running Times Magazine

What is RUNNING?
              RUNNING is one of a rare class of drugs that combines amphetamines and narcotics. It is used to treat one or more of the following conditions of modern life: lethargy, overeating, sedentary employment, unsatisfying employment, unsatisfying relationships, existential angst, depression and screaming kids. RUNNING can also be used prophylactically for the urge to go on shooting sprees.

How should I take RUNNING?
              It is important to take RUNNING regularly.

Although you may experience some relief from your symptoms in the first few days of RUNNING, most patients require at least four weeks of treatment with RUNNING to notice significant change.

You may take RUNNING at whatever time of day is best for you. Most patients have the greatest success by taking RUNNING at the same time every day. Patients with asshole bosses, unloving spouses and otherwise miserable lives often take RUNNING twice a day.

You may take RUNNING before or after, but preferably not during a meal.

Overdoses of RUNNING most typically occur in the first few years of treatment. With time, you will find the dosage of RUNNING that works best for you.

Who should not take RUNNING?
              You should not start taking RUNNING if you are unable to walk around the block. It is recommended that all patients start at a low dose of GENERAL AEROBIC CONDITIONING before starting RUNNING. It is not recommended to go from no doses of RUNNING to 26.2 miles of RUNNING in six months.

Can I take RUNNING with other medications?
              Although RUNNING is designed to relieve all of your symptoms, it can be safely combined with most other medications. 

Some patients cannot tolerate a high enough dose of RUNNING to gain all of the help they need. Depending on your symptoms, you might attain better results by combining RUNNING with CYCLING, STAIRCLIMBING, YOGA, HIKING, CROSS COUNTRY SKIING and ELLIPTICALLING.

Although similar to RUNNING, there are slight chemical variations to WATER RUNNING and TREADMILL RUNNING. Most patients require a significantly higher dose of WATER RUNNING and TREADMILL RUNNING to achieve the same results as their regular dose of RUNNING. It is not recommended to attempt long-term usage of WATER RUNNING and TREADMILL RUNNING.

Use extreme caution when RUNNING with scissors.

In no case should you combine RUNNING with SHOTPUTTING.

The following interactions have been reported:
              •    Long-time users of RUNNING reported social ostracization and spousal disownment when DANCING.
              •    Patients on a high dose of RUNNING had trouble staying afloat SWIMMING.
              •    Patients who mixed RUNNING with BASKETBALL were laughed off the court.

What are other important safety considerations with RUNNING?
              RUNNING will increase the effects of alcohol. Use caution when using alcohol to counteract the drymouth that RUNNING can cause. RUNNING is best combined with alcohol by finishing your dose of RUNNING first. In a study conducted at the Beer Mile World Championships, alcohol was found to lessen the efficiency of RUNNING.

If you miss a dose of RUNNING:
              Patients who miss a dose of RUNNING are advised to make up for lost time by increasing their amount of RUNNING on subsequent days until all feelings of guilt, remorse, self-repulsion, depression, loss of fitness and sudden doubling of bodyfat percentage have abated.

Some patients can miss a dose of RUNNING without experiencing the above withdrawal symptoms. Most other patients hate them.

If you regularly miss doses of RUNNING but still report good physical and mental health, you are in denial and should resume treatment immediately.

What are the possible side effects of RUNNING?
              RUNNING may produce side effects in some patients. In clinical studies, the most common side effects with RUNNING included: obsession with shoes; obsession with numbers; waste of brain power on arcane statistics; insensitivity to clothes that smell like ammonia; searing hamstring pain while driving; black toenails; purple toenails; no toenails; prepubescent biceps; loss of lateral movement; severe reduction in vertical leap; crow’s feet; smelly feet; antisociability; confusion about what constitutes an acceptable toilet; feelings of superiority toward people who don’t take RUNNING; confusion about how much others want to hear about RUNNING; potentially embarrassing public displays of appetite; inability to recognize that RUNNING on television is boring; misperception about how much flesh should be shown in public; excessive time spent reading RUNNING message boards; and extreme fatigue when spouse wants help around the house.

These side effects tend to increase, not decrease in direct relation to how long and how much you take RUNNING.

Where can I learn more about RUNNING?
              This page is only a brief summary of important information about RUNNING. For more information, talk to just about anyone but your doctor. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I'm really lucky, since I started so late. My addiction dedication to running has not waned since I began.

You are lucky to have that type of nature Ruth, I unfortunately am an all or nothing type person. Some examples of things I've done; I got hooked on fishing decades ago. I was so hooked it was all I thought about, I fished  at least one day for 50 out the 52 weekends in a year. One day a guy said to me, Pat you should have been here last week I had the pool all to myself. "When was that" I asked the other  fisherman? "New Years eve" he replied.

I got into photography for a couple of years, same thing, I was snapping photos everyday. Thankfully digital cameras came out shortly after and I saved a ton on developing.

Golfed for a couple of years, joined a club would play 54 holes a day. Somedays I'd stay at the course dawn to dusk.

Decided I'd like to play tennis joined a club for four years, became VP of the place and one day I just quit, never picked up a racquet since.

Running you know about..........

Two years ago I decided to find out what's the big deal about wine. It tasted like crap to me and I'd rather have a beer anyday. I now have a wine cellar with over 120 bottles. Some of the stuff was only available in limited quantities from the LCBO. Needless to say I linedup for it the day it was to be released.

Back in school one year I'd study and be a model student the next year I'd do nothing and almost fail.

I've even done that with people I've met throughout my life. Be best friends with some people then all of a sudden I'd just stop seeing them coldturkey, for no reason.

I guess there is something weird about me but I get by. LOL!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

We are quite similar Pat!
                    We are quite similar Pat!

Best compliment I've had in decades. Thanks man. lol

Although I do believe you have even a more severe form of the "disease". All I have to go by are your running stats and when I see a 100KM race, I'm thinking my God man you are insane LOL