Toronto and Beyond

Toronto Marathon Race Report - With Photos (Read 149 times)

So I met tuf_aint_enough (Dave) in the queue for the bus..... and it was a big queue.  We got in line just about 7:00am.  There were a lot of half marathoners in the line.  To be honest we assumed all the halfers would be at the start already and the queue wouldn't be an issue.  The buses were not arriving nearly fast enough and they asked all the marathoners to step aside so the halfers could get on first.  After a few buses we started to worry about our race and pushed back in the line (this is where we met Anna from Germany).  When we got on the bus at 7:35am there were still a couple of hundred people in queue.  Our bus arrived at the start line about 8:05am, after the start of the half marathon.  I felt bad for the half marathoners who missed the start of their race.

We quickly headed to the bag check and then headed into the civic centre to stay warm.  Headed to the loo to take care of business.  Waiting for the start my nerves were out of control.  At about 10 minutes before start time we headed out into the cold (temperatures were about freezing but the sun was out) to start the race.

The gun went off and I was glad to get started.  I felt great and I knew it was going to be a fantastic day to race.  My plan was to run 5:35/km for the first 20km and then pick up the pace for the next 15k and then see what happened over the final 10km.

First 5 miles were fantastic, took a gel around 5 miles.  The sun was out and it had warmed up a few degrees, it was just perfect for running.

Making the turn at Yonge & Chaplin - 8.75 KM (heel striker - i know)

Ahead of my planned pace around this point in the race which would come back to haunt me.  My support crew were all over the race course (DW, 2 fathers-in-law, Sister-in-law, 2 brothers-in-law).  The crew took these pictures on Belmount just as the course crossed Yonge Street and heads down on Rosedale Valley Road (14.5 KM)

You can see  Anna from Germany (on the right in the bright orange head band).

My Father-in-Law giving me the thumbs up.,,, and Anna from Germany.

Here is Dave at the same location.... but several minutes earlier than I arrived.

I got to the halfway point on good pace - 1:59:08. As I was moving to the right of the street to grab a gatorade I turned my ankle on a street car track.  I limped a bit and was forced to walk for a few steps.  I decided that I had to start to run and see if I had done any real damage or if it was just a minor tweak.  Luckily after a couple of hundred metres the ankle felt OK.  I kept going.

Made the turn to head down to Lake Ontario for the out and back portion of the race.  This is the section that I call the dark lonely days.  I started to get cramps in alternating hamstrings starting at 25km.  This is where I had to walk a little.

Below i'm out on the Martin Goodman Trail, where the wheels started to fall off - 28 KM.  This is where I knew it was all over.

Made the turn and headed back to the Downtown.  The Wheels were long gone....... running (mostly walking) on fumes.  I think my face says it all.  This is about 33 KM.  The next KM would be my worst... I might have walked the whole thing.

I tried to muster some strength (mental or physical) over the next few KM but I was weak.  I had taken all 4 of my planned gels and was so desperate that I grabbed a gel from the volunteers to see if I could get a little boost.  No dice.  As I stopped to stretch the 4:15 pace group passed me.... the pace bunny yelled something like "keep moving buddy".  I tried to stay with the group but couldn't.

Limped my way back into the City.  In the 39th km just after passing the Air Canada Centre (home to the worst team in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs) I was walking up a slight incline where I saw 5 or 6 people from my running group and got the last burst of energy in my system.  I managed to run the final 2.5 km which felt like a major accomplishment after being such a candy ass for the previous 15km.

Worked my way up the slight incline where my support crew had themselves spread out every few hundred metres to push me to the finish.  Lots of cheers from the gang.

Dave (who had just run a 9 minute PR in 3:24) ran with me a bit and kept me going.

Running totally on adrenaline another member of my Running group ran a few hundred metres with me.  I made the turn around Queen's Park and could see the finish line.  Didn't see the clock when I crossed under but I was done.  I was very pleased that I finished my first marathon but was really, really pissed off that I missed my goal by so much and ran a 30 minute positive split.

Place: 1365
    Gun Time: 4:27:47.0
    Chip Time: 4:26:21.1
    Pace: 6:21
    Category: M30-34
    Catetory Place: 138/185
    Gender Place: 995/1287
    First 21.1: 1:59:08
    Second 21.1: 2:28:40

Brave effort, Jason!

Nobody said it was going to be easy-and i guess that's the point.

Thanks for the report and all the pictures, well done!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Really happy for you Jason.  Your first marathon! Wow! That's good time I think.   I also liked the inspirational post Tuf gave you - very cool! 

I think the first place went to someone who ran 2:26 - same as my half marathon time. 

Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Hey you gave it all you had - on that day, take pride in your accomplishment - Congrats. When I read your report in the other forum I thought you missed your start time by 5 min. Still a shame for the people who may have missed their start. It's a great memory and from reading the papers today, who knows it may be the last Goodlife Marathon. The one photo with the post on the M G T brought back a memory from last year. While running in the same area the guy beside me yelled, watch out for the post and then pointed in front of me. Well talk about stunning someone, I almost tripped and sort of freaked, thinking-What post? There wasn't one there but for a couple of seconds I couldn't be sure which one of us was Hallucinating