Grandmas Marathon

I'm Hurt (Read 456 times)

Bugs

Eight treatment in therapy for everything below the waist. I've got more crap in my legs than a scrap yard. Three sports doctors looked at  hill bounding video and warned me "NEVER EVER DO THAT."

Hoping to make it to grandmas and beer afterwards.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sad

Beer:  Smile

What is the video?

Bugs

Lots of Beer if I make it.

Bugs

I'm sorry you are injured.  It sucks.  I will say that I have a lot of familiarity with the Lydiard hill bounding training.  There was an elite female running group in Dallas called Metroplex Striders who trained with a coach named Terry Jessup.  Terry is a great coach, but a lot of the girls (especially the ones who were a little older- actually women) would get hurt with the Lydiard exercises.  It is very hard to do them properly.  If you survive the training, you are great, but the odds are very high that you will get injured.   Just my experience......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Bugs

HStreet, THANK YOU for posting that. Confirmed exactly what I was thinking.

Bugs

I'm also a walking/running wounded.  My calves are still tight and aching.  Appears to be localized to the posterior tibialis.  Went to the sports med center here just to make sure there is no stress fracture (None seen).  Right now I am decreasing my activity, icing when I can, some advil, and see how it goes.

It has been hurting for about a month.  No increase or decrease.  I did finish a 20 miler last friday.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Bugs,

How is it goining?  Are you getting more treatments?  Running at all?  Decided to pass on Grandmas or push it and risk injury?

I haven't run since Monday, and the cramping has resolved.  Still feels a little tight when I jog to the car, etc, so decided to wait on a run.  Looking to get in some swimming and biking in the meantime, but this isn't as easy to fit into my schedule.  

Hope everyone else''s taper is going well.  

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Taper does not start until next week after Wednesday's runs.

Taper does not start...ever.

Fixed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Candice, what IS your taper plan?  I was going to do ~10 days.  Wednesday will hopefully be a 20 mile day, with 12 in the morning in PWP and another 8 or so in the afternoon (heat?) around Vandy.

I see that some of your workouts have been off lately.  Hang in there, almost to the starting line.

Candice, what IS your taper plan?  I was going to do ~10 days.  Wednesday will hopefully be a 20 mile day, with 12 in the morning in PWP and another 8 or so in the afternoon (heat?) around Vandy.

I see that some of your workouts have been off lately.  Hang in there, almost to the starting line.

Well, we're headed to Michigan bright and early in the morning for a wedding, so whether or not I can cram in a double remains to be seen...if I can it'll be about 85 miles for this week with a 20 mile long run on Sunday. Next week will be about 60ish miles with a 16 mile long run.... and then race week about 40 miles before.

Ben writes it... and I do it.

And yep, my last two workouts have been off. The last 3 if you count the race last weekend which replaced last weeks tempo run. The thing is, (my hopeful) marathon pace (7:30) feels easy. So i'm trying not to be too discouraged. Either way, i'm not totally confident this go round. Not sure what the problem is.

Figured I'd post here too.  I'm hurt for Grandmas.  Did a track workout too fast on 5/12.  Woke up the next morning for easy three and right knee was sore.  It went away later in the week. I ran a handicap trail race 4.x miler on that Saturday, then did a few more miles to make it 11ish for the day, my IT band really hurting.

So I took three days off.  The fourth day it was still bothering me, so I decided to run through it and see if it went away.  I did a 15.5 miler this past sunday, wearing an IT Band strap.  It started hurting after mile 4.  It hurt to walk afterwards.  I iced and stretched. 

Ive added the foam roller to my routine, IT band stretches that Ive long neglected, ice, etc.

I went running on the grass on Monday.  I haven't had pain since monday, running only on grass or soft dirt trails.  Even did a 4 mile tempo on the grass on Tuesday, without pain.  Seems Ill be running on the grass only until 6/20.  The pavement will be a shock to the system...

Should I mix in some pavement runs at the end of next week, after a few more pain free runs on the grass?   Or just stay healthy?

Sorry to see another one injured.  Hope someone has a good idea.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I will take them also.  I have taken 4 days off, and still feel aching when I put a little stress on my leg.  Nothing close to what it was, and no pain at all when I walk.  I think I could still run the marathon the way I'm feeling, as it is better than when I ran the 20 miler last week.  My question - when and how far to run, and if it hurts, do I stop or keep going?  

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Bugs

Bugs,

How is it goining?  Are you getting more treatments?  Running at all?  Decided to pass on Grandmas or push it and risk injury?

I have found if I drink enough alchohl and eat enough chocolate I feel very good, although I may need weight watchers very soon. I haven't ran. I've been XTing. I get therapy once a week till I'm better. Grandmas is up in the air. Sorry to hear I am not the only one hurting. I have no advice. If you need a drinking buddy I'm hear for you.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gopher, I'd stay on the grass.  Your training is done, they hay is in the barn.  You ONLY job now is to get to the starting line healthy.

tmcna, you too should not worry too much about the hurt.  Just some easy and short runs at most.  Get thee recovered.

And consider getting a sports massage.