Grandmas Marathon

Hot weather running (Read 249 times)

DoppleBock

It was 79F and humid 5:15 am this morning - I lost 9 pounds sweating in 92 minutes.  A nice training run for Grandmas ... plus the wind picked up and had to push a 15 mph wind the 2nd half ... good stuff.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Same conditions here at 4:45 this morning.  I have been doing most of my runs in the afternoon @ 95 degrees with poor air quality.

DoppleBock

Then you should be ready -

Don't be fooled - Just becasue recent temps in Duluth are 45 in am to high 50's to low 60s for a high - That is just the old Lady playing with your heads. 

Same conditions here at 4:45 this morning.  I have been doing most of my runs in the afternoon @ 95 degrees with poor air quality.

TammyinGP

la la la la la la la . . . . . Cool

Tammy

DoppleBock

47F this morning with a 42F WC - I actually wore a long sleeve T

It better warm back up into the high 80s by next Saturday - Nothing like sitting outside drinking beer with friends on a warm day.

HermosaBoy

55 with 92% humidity in the Minneapolis suburbs.  Liked the temp, but not the humidity...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

I hear it is going to be 83F at the start with a 25 MPH headwind, gusts to 40 mph.

How 'bout you?

TammyinGP

oh, you just really know how to torture this pnw softie don't ya!!

la la la la la la la la la . . . . .

Tammy

DoppleBock

Tammy -  I am sorry if I have caused you any stress - This has been my satire of how many people would tweak about marathon weather. 

I do care about the weather - I just do not overly tweak about it. 

The 3 previous times I have run Grandmas it has been

2004 = Hottish - not humid

2006 = Hot and Humid

2007 = Hot and Humid

The reason I am returning to Grandmas?  Nice course, logistics are failrly easy, I can drive there and most importantly - The after party.

The temperature will be reasonable - Mid 50s at start - low 60s at finish.  Their will be a decent amount of humidity.  The wind will be whatever it will be.  The nice thing about wind in a race this size - It helps you make friends and take turns in your pack leading into the wind.

relax - the weather will be whatever it will be.

I hope you have a great race!

BTW, what is "pnw softie"

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Ahhhh   "pnw+ = pacific northwest!

Don't want to know what other TLA's (three letter acronyms) I came up with Smile

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

DoppleBock

If you really want to experience this region of the country ... this is your race:

http://www.superiortrailrace.com/fall/index.html 

I was priveledge to pace a friend for 62 miles and it was the most beautiful run I have ever been on ... hardest too.

DoppleBock

Well ... I feel a bit flat, my hamstrings hurt and ankle has a sharpish pain.  So pretty much a normal - good - taper period for me.

I have actually tapered this time - But I am doing little speed workouts every other day to try and keep a little edge (I am not sure I ever had a little edge)

Coming to work early - lawn is mowed - getting an oil change today - Damn I have a lot of free time.  I can not wait for next week, when I can run long again.  I am really looking forward to a 4-5 hour trail run.

I am not a bog forecast person - but currently it looks 53 low 61 high Humidity 80%+ with an East wind 10-15 MPH - Sounds pretty good for Grandmas.

Regardless of the weather, the beer at Fitgers is always cold and plentiful.  Hopefully I can make it in time to meet everyone.  Won't be surprised if I walk in at 5ish hours, but regardless of time, I'm in for a Big Boat Oatmeal Stout. 

DB, hope the weather holds out, a sub 3 will be nice to read about. 

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big Boat yumminess, but last night I had the farmhouse ale and then the Ontarios special ale.