Registration for 2014 will involve a weighted lottery via the registration website, below. The registration website will be open for one week. That is, you will have one week to put your name in the hat. After this weeklong period closes, we will use a weighted lottery to select those who will have the misfortune of running the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon this Fall. If selected to run your credit card will be charged $80, and we will notify you of your poor luck. If you are not selected to run, you can thank your lucky stars.
Approximately 300 runners will be selected to run the marathon through the weighted lottery.
Registration for the weighted lottery will begin on August 1, 2014 at 8AM Central Daylight Time. That is TOMORROW MORNING. Registration for the lottery will close on August 8, 2014 at 8am. The lottery to be held a short time later.
Please note: there will also be an option to make donations to the Friends of Warner Parks, which will allow you to bypass the lottery and get right in. These options will be available on a first come, first served basis.
http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com under Registration
go directly to: https://www.runningahead.com/events/Monkey
I'm running somewhere tomorrow. It's going to be beautiful. I can't wait.
On the 3rd day, with much stupidity, I stupidly entered the lottery.
I am fortunate to belong to RunningAHEAD®, a site with rich reporting features that helped me answer questions like, "How many times have you completed the HHFMM?" and "What is your fastest time over the last 24 months?" as I generally work diligently to forget such experiences.
fsck. After being smart and DNS last two years, registered again. This year will show up, running or not. The BMBM is likely the way to go anyway.
I know you have been wondering, staring out your window as the days shorten and the cool winds begin to shift and the temperature drops. You have quietly cursed your folly, worried about your very own mortality, questioned you abilities. And now, as the seasons are shifting, you have likely doubted your wisdom. Have no doubt, Monkey is coming, and dark days are just around the corner.
You know the darkness and cold bring monsters. Big, angry, hairy monkeys. With wings. And claws. And fangs. Not that you will ever get to see and tell of such horrors, for those unfortunate to see never last long enough to tell. These terrors have descended to legend and to myth, old stories from our forebears, told to us as children at our bedtime. But the legends have root in reality. The cold forests may hide the terrors, just as the large hills may protect you from them, keeping them at bay, held on the far side. But they are there, biding their time, waiting. Waiting. I know some of you will show up and foolishly climb those hills and range over to the other side. Into the wilding lands.
Have no doubt, I say. Monkey is coming.
It is coming on November 23, 2014. At 8am sharp. Find wisdom or find strength.
Here is some info, enough to get you started. As I figure out more, I will resend this over and over so that you will feel like the world is paying attention to you. You twisted, evil villain.
- Your registration info is posted on the Monkey's website AND here: http://www.runningahead.com/events/Monkey/participants. Please take a look to make sure it is correct.
- As always, we will not have automatic text messaging of your splits from this race, to be sent to friends and family everywhere. We will not have finish line videos streaming over the web, indexed with your bib number. We will not have cheer squads along the way, with a competition for best spirit and costume. We will not have pace groups.
- Packet pickup will likely be at the Gordon JCC on November 22, 2014 between 2pm and 4pm, if I get off my lazy rear end and get that organized. The JCC is located at 801 Percy Warner Blvd, Nashville, TN 37148. This is less than 2 miles from the race start/finish area. Here is a map to the GJCC:http://tinyurl.com/MonkeyPacketPickup . Packet pickup will also be available race morning adjacent to the starting line.
- I have said this many times, and I reiterate. Running is stupid. You cannot train for Monkey. You may as well give up now.
- If you do find wisdom while out pretending to train and realize you won't be able to make it to Monkey, please let me know so I can offer your spot to one of the foolish fools on our foolish wait list.
- We are always looking for volunteers on race morning. So if you know of anybody smart enough not to run who wants to come out and spend a sweltering or freezing morning in the park helping out, please let us know. Volunteers are awesome!
- The website lists information about where there is lodging near the race and restaurants where you can dine over the weekend. In addition, if you have further questions, feel free to holler or to put out a query on our message board: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/HHFMM/forum . If you post there, please don't mind the monkey business.
- We do still have charity registration spots available.
A Dance with Monkeys
"Find wisdom or find strength" ... Nice turn of phrase. Could be a great accompaniment to an HHFMM tattoo if that bit of "madness" were to continue. ... Just say'in