Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

This is not Monkey Training. (Read 465 times)

The Greatest of All Time

But it sure is Chicago Marathon training! I envy you Nashville types that have people to run with. I get so damn bored.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      This one was for the monkey...and bored? Well, it only took me an hour longer than you to get my run in Tongue I'm hoping to hook up with a local running group on Wednesday - it would be great to have someone to do long runs with.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

The Greatest of All Time

I'm hoping to hook up with a local running group on Wednesday - it would be great to have someone to do long runs with.
        I surely miss those days. Back ten years ago this guy and his wife used to map out a new long run route every weekend and then set water out for us every 5 miles or so. A bunch of us used to meet at his house and then go run. I have no running friends these days. Sad
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Things didn't work out with the running group Sad They are great peeps! The problem is they just start out running with no warm up and at a faster pace than is good for me right now. Before I joined them, I did ask if my 10:30 easy pace was going to be OK. I brought it up again when we were running a minute/mile faster than that, and since I was keeping up, they just told me "you are in good aerobic shape". Maybe, but for a 6 mile run that would be closer to tempo than easy for me.... I'm trying to get through an ITB issue(knee), and while it isn't severe, I don't want it to progress to that point. I think I'm going to have to take the next 2, OK maybe 3 days off from running. This was a cut back week for me anyways, but I was planning on 10-12 on Sunday. I was thinking of dropping that back to 8? Does that sound reasonable after taking 3 days off? I'm going to try some biking tomorrow, but that's probably not the best XT for ITB - if biking doesn't work, than I will hit the elliptical instead on the "off" days. I'm doing lots of stretching, icing and developing a very close relationship with my foam roller Big grin I don't want to miss my 18 mile run scheduled for the following Saturday. I honestly feel like all other systems are go to handle it...if I can get a grip on the ITB. Thanks for any advice.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

ITB stuff is bad medicine, especially if you're doing a lot of hilly running. Caution ought to be your watchword. If you begin the monkey with ITB problems, you most likely will not finish it.
              ITB stuff is bad medicine, especially if you're doing a lot of hilly running. Caution ought to be your watchword. If you begin the monkey with ITB problems, you most likely will not finish it.
              This definitely has crossed my mind...which is why I am hoping I won't have to take too much time off. I don't know why this has cropped up now, when I have never had issues with ITB before. I think it has something to do with gait change since my last injury...that was when I went from custom orthotics/motion control shoe to no orthotics/mostly neutral shoe. I've been back running in that combo for 5 months. It's just bizarre. If things don't clear up in a week or so, I may go back and get another gait analysis done.... Maybe this is what I get for mocking the monkeys....I thought I could get away with it...seeing as how I was so far away from them Black eye

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

S&M Collector

Feel better soon, Chenille. And, get a foam roller, if you haven't already made purchase. I'm buying one this weekend.....similar symptoms. Good luck! Keep us posted!
                Come across any cool medals lately?
                  Feel better soon, Chenille. And, get a foam roller, if you haven't already made purchase. I'm buying one this weekend.....similar symptoms. Good luck! Keep us posted!
                  Yup, foam roller - my new best friend......DH is getting jealous Big grin Sorry to hear you are having similar problems...thanks and good luck to you too.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Hope things clear up in time for November! Yes, mocking the monkeys, even subconsciously, is dangerous.

Why is it sideways?

Good luck, Chenille! I hope I didn't discourage you!

Lazy idiot

I know you weren't talking to me in these posts, but I have to tell you that you did give me a reason to think. Some who discuss marathons and/or the Monkey in particular are known for hyperbole. I don't usually find you to be one of them. I've felt pretty good in my training so far, but there are days where I get the urge to be careless and do something crazy. It's words like these that will help me get to the start line in good shape. I'm doing everything I can to be smart, but 18 weeks is a long time to train for anything. (I also liked what you said the other day about not viewing every run as training for something specific, but do it for fun and part of the big picture. That has helped me relieve some of the mental pressure from some of these runs.) Thanks, Jeff.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

Blush
                            OMG - Jeff - I almost quit running just because of you!!!!!!!! Clowning around Like Drew said.... I'd rather hear honesty. I'm still learning my limits, but I have finally got to the point where I can see that taking a few recovery days early is better than a lot of recovery days later... Well wishes much appreciated Jeff and Tanya - looking forward to meeting all of you...either running the monkey or waiting at the finish with my video camera Evil grin

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

Like Drew said.... I'd rather hear honesty. I'm still learning my limits, but I have finally got to the point where I can see that taking a few recovery days early is better than a lot of recovery days later...
                              Well, if you're there, you learned that lesson approximately 9 times faster than I did. If I can remember it next time around.