Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Blood donation (Read 287 times)

runforthehills

You know how the Red Cross vampires are always trying to recruit people to donate blood? First of all, they say "there's a critical shortage right now," which turns out to be like once a month. Then they say that it won't really affect you at all, you replace the fluid in a day, yada yada. Well, I am not a do-gooder in general, but I do try to donate blood a few times a year. This time, I went out to run some hills a couple days after. You know what? IT SUCKED! I mean, I was puffing on the bunny hills. It's like the time I drank beer BEFORE the marathon, but at least then I FELT like I was running fast despite the stamina drain. Anyway, though, as a training technique: is doing hills in a blood-depleted state kind of like running at altitude? Like the way the Olympians train in Colorado Springs. Or does it just make me feel like crap for no benefit (other than, of course, the person who actually gets the blood)?
      I drank beer.... stamina drain.
      Confounding. Confusing. Baffling puzzler.

Mishka-old log

I thought this was gonna be about a monkey attack.
        JakeKnight

Your point about beer draining your stamina baffles me. You should probably get that checked. You're probably dying of a brain cloud. ------ As to your question, here's my philosophy: I try to make all of my training runs as useful as I can (barring the occasional stupidity), so I don't do anything to make them unnecessarily painful. I used to think otherwise. I used to do things like intentionally go for a long run after a couple days of no carbs and a whole day of no food, thinking that hey, I'd be strengthening something or other. Or I'd go for a long run and intentionally not drink enough or take any Gu, thinking I was making my body more efficient. This comes up a lot. Some people think I was right back then. Now I think that's bunk -- I think you're a lot better off eating right, drinking right, sleeping right ... and avoiding things like giving blood ... before a hard workout. I think you get the most out of the workout if you put the most into it. I could be wrong and YMMV. But I doubt the extra suffering of running a pint short of blood is worth some minor benefit you might accrue, if there's any at all. Shorter version: I think it makes you feel like crap with no (or no significant) benefit.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

JK--Cheryl saw you running yesterday afternoon on her way home from work. She said you looked "focused." I said that maybe you were just constipated. Anyway, just wanted to let you know we were thinking about you.

JakeKnight

JK--Cheryl saw you running yesterday afternoon on her way home from work. She said you looked "focused." I said that maybe you were just constipated. Anyway, just wanted to let you know we were thinking about you.
              I hope she's not the one who swerved at me who I subsequently screamed "douchebag" at. That would make sad. Yeah, yesterday's run was suicidally stupid. Old Hickory at rush hour is not the best idea. MTA: nevermind. Bet she came from behind me, unless I'm more geographically confused than usual.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Oh Mighty Wing

good thing he didn't see her - he might have swooned and hit a car!