Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Coincidence? (Read 57 times)

Hoodoo Guru

Yesterday I ran the 5.8 loop in our beloved Percy Warner Park.  I was about two and a half miles into my run when I heard the mating call of the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey.  Terrified I looked up into the tree cover and there he was, sitting on a limb, calling to his mate.  His call was returned from a tree about 200 feet away, which was a relief since for a brief second I feared that maybe I was his intended.

After finishing my run I was driving home when I spotted the Flying Monkey Marathon director running down the road.  He must have spotted me first as he quickly switched sides, putting himself in a much safer spot in case I might have wanted to run him over.

By the way, I have seen a Flying Monkey five times in five trips to the park this summer.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

The tangents are moot.

IMKY13 finish!!

Shocked

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Mr MattM

be curious; not judgmental

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is why you need to run Luke Lea.

BenTN

Hoodoo Guru

So yesterday I decided to fool the monkeys and run on the Stones River Greenway, where I do most of my daily runs.  The course follows the Stones River, and in my hundreds of runs along this course I have never once heard or seen a flying monkey.  But yesterday, I heard one across the river from Greenway.  I stopped and tried to spot him, but he was hidden in the trees, although I did hear him call a few more times. I resumed my run and less than 1/4 mile later I came up on a lady wearing a Flying Monkey t-shirt from last year.  I stopped to talk.  Her name is Marcie and she was a volunteer last year, handing out medals with the Original Dallas Smith at the finish line.

Weird.

The tangents are moot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know that Marcie

Hoodoo Guru

She is very nice, although she looked a little wary of a stranger stopping in the middle of a run to chat her up.

The tangents are moot.

Hoodoo Guru

Chapter 3

I was just 1/2 mile into my run this afternoon and I could already hear a Flying Monkey calling in the distance. About 3 miles later, all hell breaks loose as I hear 4 different monkeys jabbering in the trees. I can see 3 of them, and the 4th is hidden way up in a tree top.

This is the first time I have seen more than 2 monkeys together. I have never heard them sound like this. This does not bode well.

The tangents are moot.

IMKY13 finish!!

Chapter 3

I was just 1/2 mile into my run this afternoon and I could already hear a Flying Monkey calling in the distance. About 3 miles later, all hell breaks loose as I hear 4 different monkeys jabbering in the trees. I can see 3 of them, and the 4th is hidden way up in a tree top.

This is the first time I have seen more than 2 monkeys together. I have never heard them sound like this. This does not bode well.

Was this on the Stones River Greenway or PWP??

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Hoodoo Guru

PWP.  Makes my blood run cold.

The tangents are moot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good.

At least then part of you is running.

Hoodoo Guru

Good.

At least then part of you is running.

Good one. Proud of yourself?

The tangents are moot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since you asked, yes, actually.

Mr MattM

Chapter 3

My friend, you are lucky to have lived to tell the tale...

be curious; not judgmental