Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Your thoughts? (Read 361 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Monkey filled in 32 minutes this year.  Next year, as general idiocy grows, it will likely fill in 5 minutes.  I don't want to go to lottery, and I don't want to raise fees just for the sake of keeping people away.  What do you think of reducing the normal field size from ~200 to 175, then offering 25-75 "charity" slots for a super premium fee, with the moneys going to a charity such as the Friends of Warner Parks.  Something like $500.  This is along the lines of what JFK50 does.

The Thunder

Lame.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Hoodoo Guru

Monkey filled in 32 minutes this year.  Next year, as general idiocy grows, it will likely fill in 5 minutes.  I don't want to go to lottery, and I don't want to raise fees just for the sake of keeping people away.  What do you think of reducing the normal field size from ~200 to 175, then offering 25-75 "charity" slots for a super premium fee, with the moneys going to a charity such as the Friends of Warner Parks.  Something like $500.  This is along the lines of what JFK50 does.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  Lowering the slots available to the masses will only make those slots sell out faster. 

You could do the whole race auction style, similar to some stock offerings.

In the end I don't care what you do as I am never running this race again after this year.

The tangents are moot.

The King of Beasts

I dont have any friends, sometimes it makes me sad. then I remember I hate people and I am happy again.

mta: were you looking for out thoughts about the monkey ??

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

A Saucy Wench

Oh.. about the monkey.  Nevermind.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I wouldn't pay $500 to run ANY race.    I don't see what it accomplishes.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

The Thunder

I wouldn't pay $500 to run ANY race.    I don't see what it accomplishes.

Ironman?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

I guess I don't understand what would be wrong with it selling out in 5 minutes. (?)

However, if you mean that the elevated popularity of the race could lend itself to raising big bucks for charity, that might not necessarily be a bad thing. But then the race sort of becomes something else....My gut feeling is to keep it the way it is: simple. That's why it's so popular, you lunkhead.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All the people who don't get in because they are navigating the registration process, is what is wrong.  It favors folks with a fast internet connection and quick fingers.

All the people who don't get in because they are navigating the registration process, is what is wrong.  It favors folks with a fast internet connection and quick fingers.

People are taking 33 minutes to navigate the registration process?

Amy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, but the tighter the window, the bigger an issue slow typing becomes.  A 30 minute window means that folks who missed out simply didn't pay attention.  A 5 minute window, or less, means that folks can get shut out simply from a slow connection.

Oh, okay, get it now.

If I got shut out, I would not pay $500 for the Monkey, even for a charity ticket.  I would likely pay more than that though to come down to Nashville to volunteer for the race.  (Just not this year, apparently.)  I don't know if there's any logic in that, but there it is.  Undecided

Amy

On On

What are you trying to accomplish by lowering the normal field and selling charity slots? 

What ever your answer, how does this change the fact with a smaller normal field those fewer spots will probably sell out faster.  Does that fact help you accomplish your goal?

You seem bothered by people being shut out by a small window of time (making an assumption here based on your other answers) but your solution makes it harder for most people to get into your race.  If this is all about raising money for charity then just charge every one more money and then give the extra to charity.

If you truly want to make it more fair for people with slow internet connections then allow people to mail you a form and give them special preference.  Whether you give preference to mail or internet is your decision and most everyone can take the time to mail an application if they really want to get in a race.

Another option is make your race by invitation only.  It seems you know almost all 200 runners in your race anyway.  Stop opening it up to the public and the idiocy will die down (or build to such a crescendo that you will find people willing to donate $500 to a charity).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

invitation only

Wow.

One way to open up more slots (we were actually discussing this at breakfast. Sad.) is to only allow early registration for those who have run 3 or more consecutive Monkeys. Or do away with the early registration altogether.

I'm not feeling the pity for slow typers/internet connections. If it's that important to someone, he or she will find a speedier computer on August 1st at 8:00 a.m.