Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

I Prefer Hardees (Read 508 times)

Coincidentally that was also Jeremys first job. My first job was in a pet store. I didn't eat things from there.

The Greatest of All Time

Coincidentally that was also Jeremys first job. My first job was in a pet store. I didn't eat things from there.
      Well actually I detassled corn the summer before that, but Hardees was my first proper job if you can call it that. I graduated from there and moved up to gas station guy, and we had to actually pump gas for people because they still had full service islands back then (1987-88). That was an awesome summer. I just remember driving around in my car, smoking cigs, and listening to Motley Crue's Girls, Girls, Girls, Van Halen's OU812 and more importantly and most played G n' R Appetite for Destruction. Ah...those were the days.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

S&M Collector

Ah. What a cool first job! It seems that you must really like animals. You have some dogs, if I'm not mistaken, right? My first job, other than working for/with my dad, was supposed to be working as a cashier at a home improvement store in Fargo called Mill's Fleet Farm. Well, I attended one day of training and quit! I decided I had a phobia of electronic cash registers and customer service stuff. Then, I interviewed and got hired on for housekeeping/operations at the Fargodome (largest entertainment venue) and worked there for 4 years while in college. Saw a lot of concerts, got to be a costume assistant for Sesame Street Live Roll eyes, and cleaned up more than my share of spilled beer and vomit.
        Come across any cool medals lately?

S&M Collector

Well actually I detassled corn the summer before that, but......
          Explain this detassling corn job. Was it in a garden? on a farm?

The Greatest of All Time

Explain this detassling corn job. Was it in a garden? on a farm?
            Big ass farms. Let me see if I can explain what it is and why it's done. First of all it's seed corn, not feed corn. Seed corn is planted three female rows and then a male row, repeat. The male rows pollinates the female rows through the female's tassel. Sound familiar? Anyway for some reason the female tassels have to be pulled out after a certain time. So these huge seed corn companies hire tons of teenagers to work like 3 weeks detasseling the corn at a little above minimum wage. It's not fun or easy work. In fact it's damn tiring, especially when you're 14 or 15. We were usually hitting the fields before 6:00 am. The corn has tons of dew on it so we had to make wet suits out of trash bags. By noon it's hot as shit. The corn leaves make nasty cuts too. So basically you walk up and down long ass rows of corn all day pulling tassels out of corn stalks that are about 7 ft. in height. If anything it teaches work ethic. I remember having to wake up at 4:30 to catch the bus that drove us way out in BFE and then sleeping on that same bus on the way home out of pure exhaustion.

S&M Collector

Corn pollination. Huh. I just learned something new today. It does sound like tough work. Reminds me of some of the jobs I had to take on in my youth. So, I would assume that they now make a machine that does the detasseling, right?

The Greatest of All Time

So, I would assume that they now make a machine that does the detasseling, right?
                I doubt it, but don't know for sure. Teenagers are cheap labor.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

My first job was a soda jerk at the local ice cream store. I worked there for about 7 years. I had one ripped arm and one regular one. It's a side effect of the job I guess. Big grin
                  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

The Greatest of All Time

My first job was a soda jerk at the local ice cream store. I worked there for about 7 years. I had one ripped arm and one regular one. It's a side effect of the job I guess. Big grin
                    Huh? You're fucking with us, right?

What's a soda jerk? Just wondering so that I can understand why Marcus thinks you're messing with us after he just told us a story about male and female corn sex.

The Greatest of All Time

What's a soda jerk? Just wondering so that I can understand why Marcus thinks you're messing with us after he just told us a story about male and female corn sex.
                        Heh. I was edumucating Casa.

S&M Collector

oops. Wrong damn thread.

Oh Mighty Wing

de tasseling corn and soda jerking oh my! My first job was working in a tax law library - I replaced really thin sheets of paper with other really thin sheets of paper. Then in high school I worked as an assistant to a vice president of HR of a small company - it was COOL job!