Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Help with a Monkey Marathon training program (Read 762 times)

The Monkey will be my 3rd marathon. For the first two I made "customized" programs based on what I read and input from others. I can't really go by one of the "canned" programs because of my schedule (I have my son every other weekend from Thurs-Mon, so very little running during that time every other week) I'm not sure I built a good program, but here are some of the things I think should be incorporated into a program. Note: In two tries I've yet to break 4 hours, so I'm not convinced I have this stuff figured out. Start out with slower paced runs, gradually adding distance to your long run. At some point, maybe 6 weeks away from race, start doing tempo runs and speedwork such as 800m repeats, mile repeats, etc. Incorporate some workouts at Lactate Threshold (very important to me, helps keep me from hurling during the race) Also about 6 weeks out start doing hill repeats either weekly or every 2 weeks. Work your long runs up to 20-22 miles. Work up to at least 40 mpw. Questions: How long should the "basebuilding" phase be? What pace should I run long runs? (compared to race pace) Should tempo runs be on a course similar to the race course? Are hill repeats needed if I run 4 or 5 long runs in PWP (i.e. on the actual race course)?
    JakeKnight

Less thinking, more running. Forget speed work. Maybe long tempos, if you must. No idea what you mean about LT runs. Run hills constantly. At least 2-3 times per week. All long runs in hills. Start at 40 mpw, don't finish there. Work up to 70 or so. Don't emphasize the long runs, emphasize total, consistent mileage. But don't forget a few long runs. In the hills. And did I mention running hills? No plan is necessary, and won't help you in the Monkey, anyway. Run lots. Mostly easy. At least half in hills.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

Inoculations. Rabies and Ebola.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Why is it sideways?

Run a lot. Spend enough time in PWP so that you know where the hills are, how long they are, and how stupid your decision was to sign up for the marathon. Pray.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run a lot. Spend enough time in PWP so that you know where the hills are, how long they are, and how stupid your decision was to sign up for the marathon. Pray.
            Speaking of which, Jeff, when can I expect your registration?
            JakeKnight

Speaking of which, Jeff, when can I expect your registration?
              No shit.

Start at 40 mpw, don't finish there. Work up to 70 or so.
                Ugh. I've got lots of miles to do.

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  JakeKnight

Ugh. I've got lots of miles to do.
                    Wink The OP's question made it sound like he was looking to run it well. So that's how I answered. If you just wanna finish, you're fine. Personally, I think you've got to work up to 60+ mpw to run a decent marathon (when I get serious about BQing, I think it'll take a few 90-100 mile weeks). And for the Monkey, they better be mostly hills. That doesn't mean you can't have a fine time running the Monkey with a good 40 mpw base. (Of course, you might be hurting more ...)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobody has a fine time running the Monkey. Nobody. It is hell on hills.
                      JakeKnight

Nobody has a fine time running the Monkey. Nobody. It is hell on hills.
                        It's a blast. Shut up. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pride is temporary. Pain is forever. How do you think Wansiru's legs feel right now?

The Greatest of All Time

I am going to fucking die at Monkey. I have no hills to train on. The only thing that might save me are these tree trunk size legs of mine. But, seriously Monkey is going to suck. Then I will hate Trent.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mishka-old log

I have no hills to train on.
                              Yes you do...if you have time to drive a bit north for a good hill run. I used to bike on these roads when I lived in Arlington Heights. Here's a decent out & back. There are some decent hills around Cary as well, and it's a little shorter drive for you.