Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey '13: Faster than a Flying Banana (Read 86 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh dear.

Is it really that time? Again? Cripes.

So you really are considering running Monkey? Really? This little rinky dink race?

Really? Didn't you learn anything last year?

Fine.

All the info you need is on the website:  http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com/ (under the Registration tab)

But because some of you are lazy and won't click, here is the key info. Registration for 2013 will involve a weighted lottery via the registration website. The registration website will be open for one week Starting August 1 at 8am. That is, you will have one week to put your name in the hat. After this weeklong period closes, we will use a weighted lottery to select those who will have the misfortune of running the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon this Fall. If selected to run your credit card will be charged $80, and we will notify you of your poor luck. If you are not selected to run, you can thank your lucky stars.

Approximately 300 runners will be selected to run the marathon through the weighted lottery.

Registration for the weighted lottery will begin on August 1, 2013 at 8AM Central Daylight Time. Registration for the lottery will close on August 8, 2013 at 8am. The lottery to be held a short time later.

Please note: as with last year, there will also be an option to make donations to the Friends of Warner Parks. If you make this donation, you will get to bypass the lottery and get right in. These spots will be available on a first come, first served basis. Details are provided on the registration website.

Alas.

Faster than a Flying Banana
    Trent

Hoodoo Guru

I get the feeling the lyric below will be running thru my head for about 4 1/2 hours on a Sunday afternoon in November"

Now honey I've been a fool but a bigger fool
      I can't remember when I've been...

Marshall Tucker Band

The tangents are moot.

BenTN

I get the feeling the lyric below will be running thru my head for about 4 1/2 hours on a Sunday afternoon in November"

Marshall Tucker Band

Didn't you run Vol-State? Guess you've blocked that memory.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are actually two Dallas Smiths.

I know, right?

Cripes.

Hoodoo Guru

Didn't you run Vol-State? Guess you've blocked that memory.

I am "the other" Dallas Smith.  The original Dallas Smith is older than me by 20 years, quite a bit faster than me, but only slightly better looking.  He's not much smarter than me though, since we both run this stupid Monkey race. And here we are:

The tangents are moot.

Elly could have done a little better with the backdrop of that photo-  or maybe not!   (Running to Beat the Blues, wasn't it?)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Elly.

I believe we discussed the potty background at the time. I believe they thought it appropriate.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Hoodoo Guru

Sorry for not giving Elly the photo credit.  I love this background. And the photo remains a favorite.

The tangents are moot.

The Dick's bag on the ground is a nice touch.

Hoodoo Guru

I know.  I wanted to title the picture "4 Johns, 2 Dallases and one Dicks" but it was just a little bit awkward.  And I didn't want people asking which one was the dick.  Or had the dick.

See, awkward.

The tangents are moot.

BenTN

I am "the other" Dallas Smith.  The original Dallas Smith is older than me by 20 years, quite a bit faster than me, but only slightly better looking.  He's not much smarter than me though, since we both run this stupid Monkey race. And here we are:

I remember seeing Dallas on the ferry. My excuse: Ran it with a very fast teammate, Sue Scholl (Team Stinky Feet, 2d 17h 14m 17s). I didn't see anyone except King Joe Fejes. Sue ran the first leg, by the time I started running no one else was around.

PS: After doing the relay, I can say that doing it solo is crazy, doing it unsupported is unimaginable!

Imminent Catastrophe

Marshall Tucker Band

Now I 

wish I were somewhere other than here...

Jimmy Buffett

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The King of Beasts

Now I 

wish I were somewhere other than here...

Jimmy Buffett

down in some honky tonk, sipping on a beer

cause that great filling station hold-up

cost me two good years

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

bhearn

I am "the other" Dallas Smith.  The original Dallas Smith is older than me by 20 years, 

The other Bob Hearn who runs marathons and ultras is also about 20 years older that me. Or well, yeah, I guess I am the other Bob Hearn. We are both Marathon Maniacs, both Robert A. Hearn Ph.D. Oh, and he has a son named Trent, and is originally from Nashville. He also has a habit of coming along and liking all my Facebook posts, a day or so after everyone else is done commenting and liking, which makes it look as though I like all my own posts when you look at my wall.

schmidt02

How does a weighted lottery work?