Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Snow Monkeys? (or, you thought I was kidding when I said I had a few on my back last month...) (Read 26 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

THE VILLAGES, Fla. - A population of monkeys native to Asia appears to be spreading in central Florida, according to researchers.

For more than 75 years, rhesus macaques have inhabited Silver Springs State Park in Ocala. That population has grown to roughly 200 monkeys in the park, and new sightings of the monkeys have been reported in Lake County, according to University of Florida biologists.

Monkeys have been spotted in Lady Lake and The Villages, more than 20 miles south of the park.

"It would not be surprising as the population grows to see males disperse outside of the park," Steve Johnson, one of the biologists, tells The Orlando Sentinel.

In November, a tan-colored monkey was spotted on the roof of The Villages Elementary of Lady Lake as the school was being dismissed. The monkey paced back and forth on the roof as parents snapped photos from the pickup line. As the crowd grew, the monkey jumped down, scurried across the parking lot and disappeared into nearby woods.

Weeks later, a homeowner reported seeing a monkey in a tree in her backyard in The Villages. It sat upright in the tree, eating berries.

"It sounds like people are getting reasonably close to them, and that's not normal either to be able to get close to a wild monkey," said biologist Bob Gottschalk, who lives in The Villages.

Experts caution against feeding the monkeys, which one Lady Lake animal control officer called "hostile by nature."

"They're living about as natural as they are anywhere else in the world," Gottschalk said.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)