Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Help with a Monkey Marathon training program (Read 762 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Walking a water stop is still walking during the race isn't it? technically? Personally, I feel that if you can do those tri transitions then you should be able to pick up water and drink it on the run. Maybe that should be what you practice during the monkey and you can consider it helpful for Boston!! Smile Wink Tongue and stuff
      Walking a water stop is still walking during the race isn't it? technically? Personally, I feel that if you can do those tri transitions then you should be able to pick up water and drink it on the run. Maybe that should be what you practice during the monkey and you can consider it helpful for Boston!! Smile Wink Tongue and stuff
      Roll eyes You weren't around when I was trying to qualify for Boston apparently. I CAN pick up water and drink it on the run. And I do that in all my races, including triathlons. I'm great at it. Actually, I would RATHER do that. But these guys (ahem...Jeff, Marcus, etc.) told me to walk the water stations and somehow this would help me run faster. It worked. My fastest marathon came from walking water stations. The BQ. I'm talking like 3-5 second walks here. I generally take my advice from people that are much faster than me, or that have actually ran marathons before. It usually works best like that.

The Greatest of All Time

Ahem...walking the aid stations during the last 1/2 of a marathon is a smart idea because you will get more sports drink or water in you. Plain and simple. If you're an elite and those extra few second matter than it's a different story, but the elites get their own water bottles put out on the course for them with their own blend of energy and water. If you run through an aid station and snatch a cup some of it will spill before you even try to drink it. I always spill some more if I drink when I am running. If you walk quickly through an aid station you can quickly snatch and gulp 2 or 3 cups if you need to, thus taking on more energy and perhaps preventing a bonk later in the race. Just my $.02.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        JakeKnight

JK. I will not walk at Monkey. Only the water stations. You can bet on it.
          Roll eyes No. I can't. Here are some things I can bet on, though: 1) You'll keep racing your training runs and not run Monkey as fast you could. 2) You'll insist on not walking the obvious walking spots and thus not run Monkey as fast you could. 3) You'll end up walking anyways, at some point around the mile 19 marker, when it finally leaks into your blond head that it makes a lot more sense. 4) You'll ignore Jeff's common sense post up there. But he only runs a 2:38 marathon. And won the Monkey. Eh. What does he know? And the thing I can bet on most of all ... 5) That when I bet and won, you wouldn't pay up, anyway.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

S&M Collector

I also generally run all water stops, however, I have found that when I stop, grab a cup, and walk for even a few seconds, I'm not really hurting myself and I ensure myself that I am getting proper fluid intake. I try to be efficient as possible at this. If my muscles are fatiguing when I'm running in the latter miless of a long run, like they were this past Sunday, sometimes even 20 seconds of walking at that point, makes me feel more comfortable when I start up again. to each his/her own. And, if you don't walk at some point in FMM, you are't running hard enough. Wink
            Come across any cool medals lately?
            JakeKnight

I generally take my advice from people that are much faster than me, or that have actually ran marathons before. It usually works best like that.
              Which person faster than you told you to run that last training race well under marathon PR pace? Play nice.

S&M Collector

I think the words you're looking for are: play nicely. You're welcome. Tongue
                Come across any cool medals lately?
                  Do you guys practice walking up the steep hills or during water breaks in training? I think I'll need to because although stopping to walk is easy, starting back up is tougher.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Practice walking up the steep hills? Dude, when running the 11.2, half the time I have no choice but to walk them.
                      Hey Trent - well maybe I'm just pretending I'm running up the hills. It's pretty slow. But I'll definitely try walking some the next time I run the 11.2 (by the way, I only run ONE 11.2 - no doubles yet). Here's a training run I did last night. I had to cut it short because from mile 3 I had a calf and achilles pain and it gradually got worse. How does this compare to the PWP hills?
                        Roll eyes not to mention Roll eyes You people are actually arguing about whether or not you'll be walking at all during the Monkey? Hilarious. Typically, I don't plan walking breaks at a typical marathon (note overuse of the word "typical"), but I've gone into the Monkey both times with the "It'll be what it'll be" mindset, because it's atypical. I can't remember ever stopping and literally walking at any point, but I'm sure my pace up mile 20 and on Golf Course Hill were walk-esque. And then I always have to stop for a few seconds at the final water stops in order to actually drink. If that counts as walking, then I guess I've walked in the Monkey. Whatev.

JakeKnight

Practice walking up the steep hills? Dude, when running the 11.2, half the time I have no choice but to walk them.
                          Half?

Lazy idiot

Dude, when running the 11.2, half the time I have no choice but to walk them.
                            I'm confused. When I made my visit, I was not given the impression that walking up any of those hills was an option. You wanted to break me, I guess. Wink

Tick tock

I'm confused. When I made my visit, I was not given the impression that walking up any of those hills was an option.
                              It isn't. If you run the 11.2 with me. Although I took the new guy out on the 5.8 this morning and he had to "stop and stretch." I allowed it.

Which person faster than you told you to run that last training race well under marathon PR pace? Play nice.
                                No. I won't be nice. I'm sick of people telling me I race my training runs when I didn't even ask their opinion. Yes, i'm talking about you. It doesn't feel like a Phelpsdamn race pace. Phelpsdamnitt. You don't know how I feel on these runs. You're not me. I feel nothing like I do in a marathon. It works for me. I run easy during the week for the most part, and I run my long run faster. It works. It worked last time. It will continue to work. And do I have to repeat that I don't really care what I run at monkey...or...if there was a possibility that I could have ran it faster if i'd trained like you, who really cares? What do I get out of running well at Monkey? Nothing. I'm already qualified for Boston. I'm planning a PR for there. And i'm going to be assisted in my Boston training (by ST)...so what does it matter what i'm doing for Monkey? It doesn't.