Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

What's my goal? (Read 405 times)

Race distance, time, pace, race, date: 5 km 21:54 7'03" Anthem 5K 3/1/2008 10 km 46:26 7'29" Rodes City Run 3/15/2008 10 Mi 1:15:20 7'32" Papa John's 10 Miler 3/29/2008 Last 23 mile run: 4/12/2008 Long 23.06 Mi 3:16:30 8'32" I was thinking about 3:50:00, but I'm now pondering 3:45:00. I'm having trouble pacing slower than 8'30" outside, and even with a relatively hard climb @ mile 22 of that last 23 mile run, I was still 8'48" pace. 4 hours at this point seems like such a let down goal.

"You can't untrain for Monkey" - bdub

You should be able to run the race faster than your long run pace, so that would be well below 3:45.
        The race time equivalent calculator on Running Times says 3:32Tight lippedx based on my 10-miler time. I think the only thing that has me holding back is the fact that I'm running the Flying Pig.

Sine Metu

Given your brief marathon history, I wouldn't be too aggressive. How did that 23-miler feel? I might say to go out at 3:50 pace and then pick it up after 16-18 miles if you're feeling up to the task.
          A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh
            Based on your recent training, I really don't believe you should worry about 8:30/mi being too fast. And don't let the course intimidate you. I've never run the Flying Pig, but looking at the map, there's only one hill (ok, it IS rather impressive). And you've already proven to yourself that you can handle a hill.

A Dance with Monkeys

Flying Pig does NOT have JUST one hill. It has a four mile steady tough climb between miles 4 and 8, but there are innumerable rolls after that. Miles 20-finish, they just keep coming.

The Greatest of All Time

Trent, stop posting shit like that. That gave me a leg pains just looking at it. Bastard.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  I say you should shoot for 3:50 (8:47) pace the first 10 miles (until you reach that peak) then drop down your pace to 3:40 (8:24)pace the next 10 miles...then see what you got that last 10k! You can go under 3:45 for sure. This would be a pretty conservative plan for your level of fitness.

Thunder smash!

Flying Pig does NOT have JUST one hill. It has a four mile steady tough climb between miles 4 and 8, but there are innumerable rolls after that. Miles 20-finish, they just keep coming.
                    Ok, the map on their website didn't look anything like that.
                      I felt slightly tired at the end of my 23 mile run, but quite a bit less so than my previous 20+ mile run. The massive hill at the beginning does not scare me (except for adding to the fatigue factor). I've done Iroquois hill here (the top and around the top loop), which is similar in elevation change. As you pointed out, Trent, it's miles 20+ that concern me--I don't know how the compare to the Washington-Baum bridge @ OBX Marathon (miles 21-24).

A Dance with Monkeys

Ok, the map on their website didn't look anything like that.
                        Race directors lie. Most encourage you to think their marathon is flat. Some do the opposite. Never ever ever trust an elevation profile on a marathon's website. Ever. Strings, the hill up Iroquois is about a mile and a half long. This is like several of them strung together. Just take it easy, don't race it like a 5 miler, enjoy the awesome scenery on the way up and in the last miles and you will be fine.
                          Whoa. That's a Monkey-sized hill. Of course, there's just that one. String a dozen together and you'll have some competition. And no those ittybitty rolling things don't count. What's wrong with you?
                          E-mail: JakeKnight2002@aol.com
                          -----------------------------

If you want an example of elevation chart creativity look at the OBX marathon site, then go to marathon guide. I'd highly recommend the race, but it isn't perfectly flat... the woods are full of uneven, brutal, annoying short hills that wouldn't even show up on an truthful elevation chart, and the bridge is huge for being after mile 21 (miles 21-24).

Strings - I think you are running the Derby 1/2 this weekend correct? Why not do it as a practice run at 8:30/pace the whole way. The first 5 miles or so are hilly, though not as hilly so you'll get an idea of running at goal pace on hills. Based on your last long run it shouldn't take that much out of you and will still result in a PR. If all goes well you should finish the 1/2 feeling like you could have gone a lot farther. My prediction based on your fitness level is that you'll be able to do ~8:30's the whole way at the pig and maybe pick it up in the last few miles for a finish in the 3:40 range (+/- 5 minutes) P.S. - What's your bib # at the Derby I'll look for you at the finish, mine is 7231

"You NEED to do this" - Shara