Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Help with a Monkey Marathon training program (Read 762 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Greatest of All Time

Yes you do...if you have time to drive a bit north for a good hill run. I used to bike on these roads when I lived in Arlington Heights. Here's a decent out & back. There are some decent hills around Cary as well, and it's a little shorter drive for you.
    That's about a 30 minute drive for me at most. Might have to seriously look into that. Thanks!
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    Mishka-old log

Nice course!
      Yeah. The section from 5.5 to 6 miles, in the opposite direction, was called "The Wall" by the locals. Nasty stuff...especially on a bike (and yes, in spandex). Marcus, here's another one...a little more tame, but still decent hills and a shorter drive. We parked at a food store on the corner of NW Highway and Hillside Road. I don't remember the name of the store, The store is called Home Economist, and they welcomed runners parking in the lot.
      Mishka-old log

That's about a 30 minute drive for me at most. Might have to seriously look into that. Thanks!
        Awesome! I'm not sure where the best place to park would be, as we were always on our bikes. There are some shops (lumber stores, etc.) with some decent sized parking lots on the left side of 31 when you're heading north. No idea how welcoming they'd be to someone parking and running.
          Run a lot. Spend enough time in PWP so that you know where the hills are, how long they are, and how stupid your decision was to sign up for the marathon. Pray.
          This is the plan i've been using for monkey.

Why is it sideways?

Speaking of which, Jeff, when can I expect your registration?
            Okay. I'll shut up now.
              This is cute. I wanted to map out the section of my very hilly run from last week and here is how it looks... Almost like a ghost (wearing pants). Is that a sign? Maybe I should avoid that section of the course. Big grin

Michelle

Wink The OP's question made it sound like he was looking to run it well. So that's how I answered. If you just wanna finish, you're fine. Personally, I think you've got to work up to 60+ mpw to run a decent marathon (when I get serious about BQing, I think it'll take a few 90-100 mile weeks). And for the Monkey, they better be mostly hills. That doesn't mean you can't have a fine time running the Monkey with a good 40 mpw base. (Of course, you might be hurting more ...)
                "Run it well" is a pretty broad term. I'd like to train well enough to finish with a stride that doesn't look like my knees have stopped bending, or that I'm speedwalking on stilts. I'd like to NOT throw up during or after the race, and I'd like to be able to enjoy some recovery beer. It would also be nice to not have to walk during the race. Lactate threshold (LT) runs - well, that's pretty technical, kind of VO2 Maxish, so maybe we shouldn't discuss these kind of things. Big grin But for me it means if I don't train hard enough to get my HR up around 172 range for a sustained amount of time, my body refuses to cooperate and causes me to throw up. It sounds like my "plan" should be pretty simple - just run hills and in PWP as much as possible (except NOT at night anymore without weapons).

Oh Mighty Wing

It would also be nice to not have to walk during the race.
                  hahahahhaha
                  JakeKnight

Lactate threshold (LT) runs - well, that's pretty technical, kind of VO2 Maxish, so maybe we shouldn't discuss these kind of things. Big grin But for me it means if I don't train hard enough to get my HR up around 172 range for a sustained amount of time, my body refuses to cooperate and causes me to throw up.
                    Is that what LT stands for? I thought it was lactose tolerant. I'm familiar with the term. I've just never heard it used to describe a "minimum necessary heartrate to prevent puking." That's definitely new one. So at 171 you start puking? I'm fascinated.
                    I'd like to NOT throw up during or after the race, and I'd like to be able to enjoy some recovery beer.
                    I'd think you puking would be pretty cool. I'd applaud. And it would in no way prevent you from having beer. In fact, you could have extra beer.
                    " It would also be nice to not have to walk during the race.
                    That's a good one. I assume you're pretty fast if that's your goal. You'll have to ask Jeff what goes on with the sub-3 pack up there. Maybe those guys sprint up golf course hill at mile 23. But back in the 3:30-4:30 range, I didn't see many non-walkers. Actually, I never saw one. It doesn't seem the best strategy. For you it might be, since your heartrate might plummet to 171. And then all Hell would break loose, and monkeys are attracted to vomit.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

That's a good one. I assume you're pretty fast if that's your goal. You'll have to ask Jeff what goes on with the sub-3 pack up there. Maybe those guys sprint up golf course hill at mile 23.
                      Last year I was trying very hard not to walk. Or, to make it look like I was running. Because probably I coulda gone faster by just walking. But I got a reputation to uphold. In my best ultra, which I completed in 4:20 (~8:30 pace for the 50k), I walked early and often. The year before I had "manned up" and tried to run everything. I ended up writhing on the trail at mile 25 and crawling/walking/stomping/wriggling my way to the finish, 40 minutes slower than what I ran the year after. Go figure.

Oh Mighty Wing

i've been practicing walking fast when i take walk breaks. i only have 1 walking speed and that's leisurely almost old person slow. with practice i hope to get faster so i can stay in the right frame of mind for the race. tony i'm no help 2 you as this will be my first
                          JK. I will not walk at Monkey. Only the water stations. You can bet on it.

Is that what LT stands for? I thought it was lactose tolerant.
                            Don't feel bad, just the other day I still thought VO2 Max was a shampoo.
                            I'm familiar with the term. I've just never heard it used to describe a "minimum necessary heartrate to prevent puking." That's definitely new one.
                            Neat how sometimes the student becomes the teacher. It's a win-win. Group hug!!
                            So at 171 you start puking? I'm fascinated.
                            Yeah I didn't want to just come out and say it, but I'm pretty much a rockstar.
                            That's a good one. I assume you're pretty fast if that's your goal. You'll have to ask Jeff what goes on with the sub-3 pack up there. Maybe those guys sprint up golf course hill at mile 23. But back in the 3:30-4:30 range, I didn't see many non-walkers. Actually, I never saw one. It doesn't seem the best strategy. For you it might be, since your heartrate might plummet to 171. And then all Hell would break loose, and monkeys are attracted to vomit.
                            I'm glad you realize what a marathon prodigy I am. It's nice to be appreciated. I don't like to brag about it though because I know it's mostly just good genetics. Now in case you didn't pick up on it, the above replies were typed in sarcastic font. As one who uses it liberally I figured you would recognize it easily, but you may have missed in in my last post. I seriously didn't know that most people walked up the hills. I had to go into the walk/run thing at mile 20 or 21 in the MCM, so that's why I said my goal was to NOT walk. I think I'll change my strategy based the input from you and Jeff.
                              JK. I will not walk at Monkey. Only the water stations. You can bet on it.
                              Yeah but you don't count - you really ARE a rockstar. Big grin