Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Locals, help? (Read 702 times)

Lazy idiot

I will have a cheering section coming down with me, and they would like to see me as many times as possible out on the course. What would be the best way for them to accomplish their goal? If it involved hopping in a car/truck and driving (via non-course roads, of course) to another side of the park, that's fine. If it involves minimal amounts of walking (half-mile to mile at most: most are quite able-bodied, one won't like/be able to walk too far), that's fine, too. Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks just drive through the park and try not to hit the runners. Easy to do.
        Make sure your car has a good transmission, and good brakes.
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Make sure your car has a good transmission, and good brakes.
          ...and an anchor.

Why is it sideways?

If they are going to choose one spot, I think the best cheering spot is at the top of the hill at mile 19. They can see the runners three times: when they pass at around mile 6, then again at the top of the worst hill at 19, then when they come out of the little .6 mile loop that is at that point. Then they'll still have time to get in the car and drive to the finish before you get there. Plus they will get to see a lot of pain and carnage.

The Greatest of All Time

I will have a cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon coming down with me, and they would like to see me as many times as possible out on the course to make sure I am not dying or snapping my femurs. What would be the best way for them to accomplish their goal?
              Fixed Wink
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

You understand it is extremely likely that my wife will be driving, right? How many people do you not want to finish this race?

Tick tock

Lazy idiot

If they are going to choose one spot, I think the best cheering spot is at the top of the hill at mile 19. They can see the runners three times: when they pass at around mile 6, then again at the top of the worst hill at 19, then when they come out of the little .6 mile loop that is at that point. Then they'll still have time to get in the car and drive to the finish before you get there. Plus they will get to see a lot of pain and carnage.
                  Good answer. thanks, Jeff. If they're feeling particularly lazy, this is the plan I'll suggest.

Tick tock

Lazy idiot

Fixed Wink
                    I should do this. Wonder how much a weekend, in-person retainer will cost me?

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not a lot of parking space up there.

Why is it sideways?

Not a lot of parking space up there.
                        True. Though I think you could line some cars on the side of the road on the way to Luke Lea. It's also a long drive in the park around to that point, and maybe not so easy to find if you're not familiar with the course.

Lazy idiot

True. Though I think you could line some cars on the side of the road on the way to Luke Lea. It's also a long drive in the park around to that point, and maybe not so easy to find if you're not familiar with the course.
                          This is not too far from the Stone Gates, no? Or is that road only one-way around the park? We'll figure it out.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

This is not too far from the Stone Gates, no? Or is that road only one-way around the park? We'll figure it out.
                            It's only one way around, but I won't tell the RD if you drive the half-mile or so to the top of the hill the wrong way... Wink
                              They could see you off at the start, go get breakfast, then come back to the start and walk about half a mile to the bottom (backside or whatever) of 3-Mile hill where they could see you at miles 11 and 14. Then they'd have however long it's going to take you from 14-26 to take a nap or shoot tequila or something, but they'd just need to walk back the half mile to see you finish.

The Thunder

It's only one way around, but I won't tell the RD if you drive the half-mile or so to the top of the hill the wrong way... Wink
                                DO NOT DRIVE THE WRONG WAY!!!! As someone who rides out there as well as runs, you could easily kill someone by driving the wrong way there. Cyclists come zipping down some of those hills north of 30 MPH, and if you're going the wrong way on a one way road....NOT GOOD.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…