Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

About those hills.... (Read 705 times)

I've seen the elevation profile, but I'm finding it hard to get a real sense of how tough those hills are. I mean, I know they are going to be tough but I've run on some hills where the elevation profile looked quite impressive, but the actual hill wasn't quite as bad as the garmin picture painted. Are all the hills equally tough? Or is it that there are a lot of them? Are there some breaks with more level ground - or is it more constant up and down? This is an example of the kind of hill I run on maybe once a week - how does it compare to a monkey hill? Seriously.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

You should do Hatfield-McCoy after Monkey. That's a nice little hill for hill work.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That hill climbs ~700 feet in just under 3 miles (i.e., 250 ft/mile). There is just one. Monkey hills climb ~200-300 feet in 1/2 - 3/4 miles (i.e., 400 ft/mile). There are many many of them.
        JakeKnight

That's a nice hill you've got. But the Monkey hills are many and they are steep and they are endless. I ran half the course yesterday, and that bit at mile 18-19 never gets any easier. You're just basically almost never not on a hill. Which I tend to like. I think the constantly changing terrain is good for your legs. I'd rather run there than do a flat marathon. The Monkey hurts more during; flat races, in my opinion, hurt more later. All of which is irrelevant. The monkeys will get you anyway, so who cares about the hills?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Oh Mighty Wing

The real question is this - If the monkey's get you and decide to deposit you at the finish does it still count??
            Mishka-old log

The real question is this - If the monkey's get you and decide to deposit you at the finish does it still count??
              Based on the rumors I've heard, if the monkeys deposit you at the finish it will be in turd form.
              JakeKnight

I'm amused that people think we're kidding about the monkeys. Some of you may be in for a real surprise.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Lazy idiot

I'm amused that people think we're kidding about the monkeys. Some of you may be in for a real surprise.
                  If I hadn't heard them with my own ears, I'd be inclined to giggle at your childish attempts to scare those who haven't been. But based on what my brain translated through my ears, I'm not thinking that laughing at monkeys is wise.

Tick tock

Oh Mighty Wing

Based on the rumors I've heard, if the monkeys deposit you at the finish it will be in turd form.
                    wait if the monkey's steal you they eat you? I thought they just played with you for a while. For real, I'm still trying to figure out the severity of the monkey's.

Lazy idiot

wait if the monkey's steal you they eat you? I thought they just played with you for a while. For real, I'm still trying to figure out the severity of the monkey's.
                      HA! I'm not laughing at the monkeys, I'm laughing at you. Run fast, don't look back.

Tick tock

Mishka-old log

wait if the monkey's steal you they eat you? I thought they just played with you for a while.
                        Rumors indicate a wide variety of simian intentions. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Oh Mighty Wing

HA! I'm not laughing at the monkeys, I'm laughing at you. Run fast, don't look back.
                          thanks for that! Tongue
                            That hill climbs ~700 feet in just under 3 miles (i.e., 250 ft/mile). There is just one. Monkey hills climb ~200-300 feet in 1/2 - 3/4 miles (i.e., 400 ft/mile). There are many many of them.
                            This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.
                            That's a nice hill you've got. But the Monkey hills are many and they are steep and they are endless. I ran half the course yesterday, and that bit at mile 18-19 never gets any easier. You're just basically almost never not on a hill. Which I tend to like. I think the constantly changing terrain is good for your legs. I'd rather run there than do a flat marathon. The Monkey hurts more during; flat races, in my opinion, hurt more later. ?
                            This is why I asked - running a route like that is not that bad - once you make it to the top, well, it's all downhill, which makes for a pretty relaxing finish. I realize that it in no way compares to running multiple hills....and for 26.2 miles. Better to run shorter multiple hills. I don't have too many places to run that are flat, and that wouldn't be my preference anyways.
                            All of which is irrelevant. The monkeys will get you anyway, so who cares about the hills?
                            ah yes, the monkeys, they show up after the grass ? Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Don't mind me, I'm just checking something out.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm just curious to know how your run went below sea level. Did you go diving?