Letters & Opinions

FSocks finally runs a "good" marathon (Read 149 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

5th Annual IMS Arizona Marathon Race Report February 17, 2013

Cliff notes: 3:38:42, 57th out of 306, and 3rd out of 20 Age Group.

TL;DR version: This is my 4th marathon but numbers 2 and 3 were over-aggressive pacing which turned into DNF’s with hamstring issues at mile 21.5.  First marathon was a complete disaster with way too little miles and battling plantar fasciitis left me 35 minutes over a 4:15 goal. So I had yet to feel like I had a “good” marathon.  I registered for this back in the summer when it was a $35 registration fee.

Goal: I really wanted sub 3:40 for the winter racing season.  In the days leading up to the race highs were predicted to be 75 and sunny so it would be a little warmer than what I preferred but also a northeasterly wind.  Considering the course was point to point and primarily east and north it would mean headwinds most of the way.  Greaaaat.  Fortunately that while the headwind was annoying at times it was never too bad.

Strategy: Knowing what the day held for me and that I was determined for sub 3:40 and nothing else I reminded myself constantly 8:20 pace and nothing more. DO NOT BE AGGRESSIVE YOU DUMBASS was my motto for the day.

Miles 1-5: (7:56, 8:02, 8:15, 8:21, 8:23) A nice little downhill start the first couple of miles feels nice and the 3:40 pacer blows by me WTF?  I’m feeling good but not great.  After a couple of miles the 3:40 pacer settles into the right pace and I run along with them chatting a little bit.

Miles 6-10: (8:21, 8:23, 8:18, 8:46, 8:22) Still feeling good and I’ve pulled slightly ahead of the 3:40 pace group.  There is a tunnel under a road that is the steepest flipping thing I’ve ever seen.  Yeah, I walk up out of it; screw that shit.

Miles 11-15: (8:19, 8:23, 8:22, 8:20, 8:23) The “dark miles”; my hamstrings are getting tender and its f/cking with my mind.  Will they or won’t they go in to full blown rebellion?

Miles 16-20: (8:19, 8:22, 8:18, 8:21, 8:20) Starting to see the first walkers.  I’ve passed a few people up to this point but now the over-aggressive paced are starting their run/walk routines.  Amateurs! :roll-eyes:  The miles fly by some reason and I forget about the hammies.

Miles 21-25: (8:16, 8:24, 8:21, 8:25, 8:22) I’m passing more people now and I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The only person who passes me from mile 15 on pulls up by me and we run together for a mile.  I find out he’s an age group younger so I let him go.  I’m still not risking it even at mile 25.

Finish 26-.2: (9:06 Hill, 7:19) Coming into the finish area I see the clock 3:38 and I know I’ve got this.  I let out the biggest yell of satisfaction.  Official time: 3:38:42! Goal accomplished.

Extras 1: FSocks DD1 and FSocks SIL1 both ran their first half at the same race.  DD1 beat her goal and finished 2:03 and SIL1 beat his 1:50 goal and finished 1:49.  Afterwards we meet with the in-laws who made reservations at Margaritaville (they made the reservations).  I’m voting it worst chain food by far.  And Landshark beer sucks ass too.

Extras 2: I've navigated the stairs quite well and while I’m sore, I’m really not that sore.  Hell I was sorer than this after my half in the fall. :look:

You people have issues 

Fistmaster General

FIST!

Those splits are perfect.  sounds like your motto was spot on.  Glad to see it finally worked out in your favor.  You've been busting your ass for a long time and definitely earned it.  enjoy this!!

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

runny eggs

Nice job Jason.

Too bad about Margaritaville, all that hard work should end with a good meal.

A $35 dollar marathon?? Shocked Good job!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Great report, FS!  It sounds like you ran a super well executed race -- congrats on the PR!  Smile

And yeah, Landshark does suck.

Running is dumb.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Just excellent! Really textbook perfect. And 3rd in AG i s awesome.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

well done! you are one determined dude to go through three rounds of marathon training that didn't end so well, and then STILL pursue a fourth round to kick the crap out of the thing.

and 100% agree on your landshark review. i hate that stuff.

shu_runner

Glad you had a good race, especially since the last few didn't go as planned.  Good job!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Strong work!

Congrats!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

gusgordon

Well done sir!

old Dave

I'm your huckleberry

Great race FS! I agree; Landcarp beer is nothing special.

paulski66

miscreant

Hell to the fuck yeah. About time you stuck the landing.

Awesome job, and you left out the part where you were supposed to talk about all the work and all the training and all the miles you did to lead up to this. You trained like a beast; congrats on a well-deserved finish. And enjoy some rest.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Village people

Woohoo! You did it! I was so excited to see your time.

Congratulations, I knew you could do it!

Great job FS! Congrats on the PR and a "good" marathon and some very consistent paces.

Comrade Red

Intimidating

Congratulations!!  Sounds just about perfect to me.  Notch on the belt.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to not respond to your follow-up post If you become dumb.  The resulting silence should in no way be taken as a sign of agreement.