Low HR Training

JimmyB's Two Week Test Diary Post Day 14 (Read 1016 times)

BeeRunB

Hey Gang,

Shondek inspired me to do a two-week test. I had never done a full one in the past--I think 3-4 days was the longest it went before I quit. The main reason I quit was that my pace at MAF would slow drastically, and I freaked out.  THis time, I plan to see it through.

I experienced the slowing again, but today it seems to be reversing. Hopefully, it is a trend.

I'm following Dr. Phil's diet list, eating  beef, cheese, eggs, poulty, pork, fish, shrimp, almond butter, avocado, 6 servings of vegetables, and drinking lots of water. My coffee consumption is the usual.

As far as calorie levels, I think I am eating a bit more than I used to before the test--lots of fat.

Below will be my diary of this experiment. I was going to write "enjoy my misery", but then I realized the last two days have been really great in terms of how I feel, my focus, and my energy levels. SO, just "enjoy". ---JImmy Cool

day weight

waist

"

body

Fat%

Resting

Heart

Rate

(normal is 48)

Aerobic Speed

(MAF 1st mile)

duration

miles

ave

pace

heart time

zone

(BPM)

F° Notes
     1 171 38.5 25.3 48 10:55 1:23:31 7.00 11:55

MAF

57° Ran outdoors. Aerobic speed and duration normal. Took a few naps
     2 170  ---  --- 52  --- 0:52:00 4.01 12:58 120-125 bpm  66°

TM 1% Headache that is probably due to sugar withdrawal. Took a few naps. Needed them.

3 169 38.0 24.5 55 12:58 1:15:00 5.41 13:51

MAF

74°

TM 1%. RHR a bit high, pace at MAF has slowed significantly. Headache still there. Feel stronger and more focused. Endurance (duration) is still at a good level for this heart time zone at 74°. Nap.

4 169  ---  --- 54  --- 0:53:00 3.63 14:36 120-125 bpm  66°

TM 1% (yuck on pace) Pace continuing to regress. RHR still high No headache! Real good focus. Didn't crash or nap.  

5 168 37.63 23.9 51 11:12 1:16:00 6.11 12:26

MAF

65°  TM 1%. Pace at MAF progressing back. Duration for this heart time zone was good as well. RHR lowering.  Feel good. Like this increasing ability to focus for longer periods. No headache.
    6 168 37.38 23.5 -- --  -- --  --   -- -- Rest day. Felt good. No crashes. 
    7 167 37.00 22.9 51  -- 1:00:00 4.59 13:04  120-125 bpm 67° 

TM 1%  Improved duration. Feel good. Looking forward to a day of creative endeavors. In first 7 days I have lost 4 pounds, 1.5" around waist, 2.4% bodyfat

8 167 36.88 22.6 51 -- -- -- -- -- --

Rest day. Felt fine.

9 167 36.63 22.2 52 13:36 0:53:00 3.66 14:28

bpm

67°

TM 1%. Pace at MAF awful. Duration for this heart time zone was not so  good. RHR still not normal. Should be in 46-48 range.  Feel okay. Want to freak out about the regressing aerobic speed, but not gonna----no, not gonna.

10 167 36.63 22.2 46 10:59 1:05:00 5.39 12:03

bpm

67°

TM 1%. Resting heart rate finally back to normal today (almost like a fever breaking!)  Weight has plateaued at 167. Good overall pace. Aerobic speed much better.

11 167 36.38 21.8 46   0:45:00 3.50 12:51

120-125

bpm

71°

TM 1%. Resting heart rate still normal. Weight still @ 167, but waist is shrinking. Energy, both mental and physical, at a nice high level. Still living the cheesy dream.

12 166 36.25 21.6 48   12:08  1:07:00  4.21 12:51 

bpm

71°  TM 1%. Resting heart rate still normal. Weight loss finally moved again. Only 2 days left.
    13 166 36.25 21.6 49   0:30:00 2.24 13:23

73° TM1% kept run to 30 minutes--good day. Finished tomorrow with this part.
    14 165 36.00 21.1 53 -- -- -- --

---

-- That's a wrap. Successfully executed. weight loss of 6 pounds, 2.5 inches off waist, and drop of 4.25% bodyfat. My aerobic speed didn't improve, it regressed, but started to rebound some. Overalll energy, mental and physical, was good, with a high creative output.

Jimmy:

Tuesday I finished day 14 of the test.  I am staying on it for a while more.  I lost 5 lbs (185.8 to 180.8) and about 1.5% body fat (22.5% to 21%).  I ate only the foods you listed.

2 eggs with cheese and chicken for breakfast every morning.  Usually chicken or salad for lunch and the same for evening meal.  Snacked on peanut butter, cheese, pecans, almonds, and cashews.  

I did not do a MAF test before I started but I think my pace has slowed.

I feel great and sleep well at night.  I think the thing that has helped me the most is not eating sugar.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris

C-R

Thanks for sharing Jimmy. I too have not completed one and will certainly be watching with keen interest on your postings.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Jimmy:

Tuesday I finished day 14 of the test.  I am staying on it for a while more.  I lost 5 lbs (185.8 to 180.8) and about 1.5% body fat (22.5% to 21%).  I ate only the foods you listed.

2 eggs with cheese and chicken for breakfast every morning.  Usually chicken or salad for lunch and the same for evening meal.  Snacked on peanut butter, cheese, pecans, almonds, and cashews.  

I did not do a MAF test before I started but I think my pace has slowed.

I feel great and sleep well at night.  I think the thing that has helped me the most is not eating sugar.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks.

Did you feel withdrawal at all during the beginning of the test? Any drastic slowing?

Don't overstride!

I will also start the 14 week test when I get back from the Holiday travels. It really worries my wife when I go low carb. She is practically a vegetarian and hence I am along for the ride. Is there a good way to do the 14 week test vegetarian style?

BeeRunB

I will also start the 14 week test when I get back from the Holiday travels. It really worries my wife when I go low carb. She is practically a vegetarian and hence I am along for the ride. Is there a good way to do the 14 week test vegetarian style?

Tofu is on the list. Eggs and egg whites aren't animals. Unless of course you are vegan. There is no limit on veggies. Just have to stay away from all refined sugar---and things with it in it------grains and their flours. Carbs should only come from vegetables (avoiding corn, peas, and potatoes).

Don't overstride!

Tofu is on the list. Eggs and egg whites aren't animals. Unless of course you are vegan. There is no limit on veggies. Just have to stay away from all refined sugar---and things with it in it------grains and their flours. Carbs should only come from vegetables (avoiding corn, peas, and potatoes).

Thanks Jimmy Smile!  Hang in there! I remember the Carb withdrawl when I was on Atkins years ago.

BeeRunB

Fruits are on the avoid list. Except for avocado and tomato.

Thanks.

Did you feel withdrawal at all during the beginning of the test? Any drastic slowing?

No withdrawals but it was heck on my sweet tooth.  I ate a spoon of peanut butter to satisfy my cravings.  My 2 week test came about the same time that I started MAF at 125 instead of 130 so I really cannot tell about my slower pace.  Is it because of no carbs or is it natural because of lower heart rate?  Maybe a little of both.

It is a good way to cleanse the system and get a fresh start on eating well.

Chris

For all who are interested, here is the test:

Foods to Eat During the Test

You may eat as much of these foods as you like during the Two-Week Test:

• Eggs (whites and yolk), unprocessed (real) cheeses, heavy (whipping) cream, sour cream
                      • Unprocessed meats including beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, fish, shellfish, and others
                      • Tomato, V-8, or other vegetable juices such as carrot juice
                      • Water
                      • Cooked or raw vegetables except potatoes and corn
                      • Nuts, seeds, nut butters
                      • Oils, vinegar, mayonnaise, salsa, mustard, and spices
                      • Sea salt, unless you are sodium sensitive
                      • All coffee and tea (if you normally drink it)

Be sure to read the ingredients for many of these foods if they are packaged, as some form of sugar is commonly added.

Foods to avoid during the Test

You may not eat any of the following foods during the Two-Week Test:

• Bread, rolls, pasta, pancakes, cereal, muf­ fins, chips, crackers, rice cakes, and similar carbohydrate foods
                      • Sweets, including products that contain sugar such as ketchup, honey, and many other prepared foods (read the labels)
                      • Fruits and fruit juice
                      • Highly processed meats such as cold cuts, which often contain sugar
                      • Potatoes (all types), corn, rice, and beans
                      • Milk, half-and-half, and yogurt
                      • So-called healthy snacks, including all energy bars and drinks
                      • All soda, including so-called diet types

Chris

Shondek

Hey Gang,

Shondek inspired me to do a two-week test. I had never done a full one in the past--I think 3-4 days was the longest it went before I quit. The main reason I quit was that my pace at MAF would slow drastically, and I freaked out.  THis time, I plan to see it through.

I experienced the slowing again, but today it seems to be reversing. Hopefully, it is a trend.

I'm following Dr. Phil's diet list, eating  beef, cheese, eggs, poulty, pork, fish, shrimp, almond butter, avocado, 6 servings of vegetables, and drinking lots of water. My coffee consumption is the usual.

As far as calorie levels, I think I am eating a bit more than I used to before the test--lots of fat.

Below will be my diary of this experiment. I was going to write "enjoy my misery", but then I realized the last two days have been really great in terms of how I feel, my focus, and my energy levels. SO, just "enjoy". ---JImmy Cool

day weight waist bodyFat%

Resting

Heart

Rate

(normal is 48)

Aerobic Speed

(MAF 1st mile)

temp Notes
                         1  171  38.5"  25.3%  48  10:55  57° Ran outdoors. Aerobic speed and duration normal. Took a few naps
                         2  170  ---  ---  52  ---  66°

TM 1% recovery heart time zone 120-125 pace 12:58

Felt weak at times today. Have a headache that is probably due to sugar withdrawal (I usually get one when I withdraw, even if I am keeping carbs up from other sources). Took a few naps. Needed them.

3  169  38.0"  24.5%  55  12:58  74°

TM 1%. Resting heart rate a bit high, pace at MAF has slowed significantly.

HEadache still there, but feel stronger and more focused. Endurance (duration) is still at a good level for this heart time zone at 74°. Took one nap.

4  169  ---  ---  54  ---  66°

TM 1% recovery heart time zone 120-125 pace 14:36 (yuck)

Pace continuing to regress. RHR still high

No headache! Real good focus. Didn't crash or nap. 

Talking with my wife about how this was the point where I bailed on the two-week test I tried 2-3 years ago. The slowing pace had freaked me out. I plan to see this one through in hopes that this slowing is just some kind of shift to a different metabolic pathway, and will reverse itself as the test goes on.

5  168  37.63"  23.9%  51  11:12  65°  TM 1%. Pace at MAF progressing back in the right direction today. Duration for this heart time zone was good as well. RHR coming back down as well.  Feel good today---I love this increasing ability to focus for longer periods. No headache. Really digging cheese again.

You know it makes sense Jim bob Smile.....I know it's not a diet but you wont go back to the way you used to eat ..it takes you to another place.

Organic green tea replaced my gourmet coffee(yirgacheff can wait)  ..I've been off it 2 weeks and I am yet to have pasta or rice which was my staple...My wife is still on it and is hanging there til xmas...she's looking great and younger..it gives you that youthful physic..go for it Jimmy!!

I once did an Atkins diet a long time ago to lose some weight.  At the time, the Atkins diet was all the rage.  I did it for a couple of weeks.  It sounds very similar to this.  Is there much of a difference?

Anyway, back then, I used to occasionally jog, not like I do now.  Back then it was only about 3 miles every other day.  I remember that I felt good generally, but when I went out for a jog, it felt completely different.  My legs had no energy.  It was a very wierd feeling.  I actually worried that if I kept jogging, I would damage my leg muscles.  I got through the jog OK, but at a slower pace.

I assumed that I must have been glycogen depleted.

I also remember my first carb meal after the two weeks.  I had some rolls with butter.  I still remember how great that tasted.  It was like drugs.  So, my body still craved carbs even after that two week period.  Needless to say, my diet returned to what it was previously.

I think the main difference is that with the Atkins diet, I probably did not eat the same amout of calories I did before?  I recall that with the Atkins diet, you could eat as much as you wanted as long as you avoided carbs.  But, I also recall that I did not desire to eat that much of the non-carb stuff, so my ovall calories must have gone down.

Shondek

I once did an Atkins diet a long time ago to lose some weight.  At the time, the Atkins diet was all the rage.  I did it for a couple of weeks.  It sounds very similar to this.  Is there much of a difference?

Anyway, back then, I used to occasionally jog, not like I do now.  Back then it was only about 3 miles every other day.  I remember that I felt good generally, but when I went out for a jog, it felt completely different.  My legs had no energy.  It was a very wierd feeling.  I actually worried that if I kept jogging, I would damage my leg muscles.  I got through the jog OK, but at a slower pace.

I assumed that I must have been glycogen depleted.

I also remember my first carb meal after the two weeks.  I had some rolls with butter.  I still remember how great that tasted.  It was like drugs.  So, my body still craved carbs even after that two week period.  Needless to say, my diet returned to what it was previously.

I think the main difference is that with the Atkins diet, I probably did not eat the same amout of calories I did before?  I recall that with the Atkins diet, you could eat as much as you wanted as long as you avoided carbs.  But, I also recall that I did not desire to eat that much of the non-carb stuff, so my ovall calories must have gone down.

There is a big difference:

This is not a diet about loosing weight its a test to see if you are affected by carbs and sugar

You can eat all the low glycemic index vegetables available to you and there is no limit to the amount so in a sense you are still eating carbs.

Its only for 2 weeks

If you run below 180-age you shouldn't really have any issues about burning/depleting  sugar/carbs etc...

Lastly you should come out of it feeling and looking more healthy

Shondek

Hey Gang,

day weight waist bodyFat%

Resting

Heart

Rate

(normal is 48)

Aerobic Speed

(MAF 1st mile)

temp Notes
                               1  171  38.5"  25.3%  48  10:55  57° Ran outdoors. Aerobic speed and duration normal. Took a few naps
                               2  170  ---  ---  52  ---  66°

TM 1% recovery heart time zone 120-125 pace 12:58

Felt weak at times today. Have a headache that is probably due to sugar withdrawal (I usually get one when I withdraw, even if I am keeping carbs up from other sources). Took a few naps. Needed them.

3  169  38.0"  24.5%  55  12:58  74°

TM 1%. Resting heart rate a bit high, pace at MAF has slowed significantly.

HEadache still there, but feel stronger and more focused. Endurance (duration) is still at a good level for this heart time zone at 74°. Took one nap.

4  169  ---  ---  54  ---  66°

TM 1% recovery heart time zone 120-125 pace 14:36 (yuck)

Pace continuing to regress. RHR still high

No headache! Real good focus. Didn't crash or nap. 

Talking with my wife about how this was the point where I bailed on the two-week test I tried 2-3 years ago. The slowing pace had freaked me out. I plan to see this one through in hopes that this slowing is just some kind of shift to a different metabolic pathway, and will reverse itself as the test goes on.

5  168  37.63"  23.9%  51  11:12  65°  TM 1%. Pace at MAF progressing back in the right direction today. Duration for this heart time zone was good as well. RHR coming back down as well.  Feel good today---I love this increasing ability to focus for longer periods. No headache. Really digging cheese again.

Did you take one slice of wholemeal bread a day for breakfast Jimmy?

BeeRunB

Did you take one slice of wholemeal bread a day for breakfast Jimmy?

No. I do believe that's on the "do not eat list" during the two weeks.