Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

npaden

Darkside Memorial Day run < 4:30

6:25:26 **** Kept a MM from  a DNF Smile

Ouch.  Just a bad day or did you have some issues?  Hope everything turned out okay, at least you got a medal!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ouch.  Just a bad day or did you have some issues?  Hope everything turned out okay, at least you got a medal!

No issues myself. Three of us walked with someone  else for 10+ miles so she would not drop.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Darkside Memorial Day run < 4:30

6:25:26 **** Kept a MM from  a DNF Smile

Nice long run, Ron. I think you might be able to handle that 10k on July 4th. Cool

--Jimmy

kfmfe04

No issues myself. Three of us walked with someone  else for 10+ miles so she would not drop.

Nice sacrifice, Ron!

Tuesday:  Long Day 44, 4AM HS Track, 24C, 22C dp, muggy->drizzle, MAF=138

10k shodded 1:16:20 HR: 131 pace: 12'12"mpm

6k barefoot 0:46:00 HR: 127 pace: 12'16"mpm

Woke up at 3AM to do the long run - began the actual run at 4AM.  'Twas a muggy morning that turned into a drizzle at the end.  Turns out, the rest provided by the short run yesterday was very helpful:  no pain in my legs and my feet felt strong.  Tomorrow will be another easy day of 4k + 4k.

- Ken

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log

npaden

6.09 miles, 11:47 avg pace, 138 avg HR.

Beautiful morning! 65 degrees and calm. 70% humidity though. Sweated like a pig. Very slow, 11:47 avg pace and 138 avg HR (it ticked up a beat right at the last second). Not sure why so slow today.  Good run anyway.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

6.09 miles, 11:47 avg pace, 138 avg HR.

Beautiful morning! 65 degrees and calm. 70% humidity though. Sweated like a pig. Very slow, 11:47 avg pace and 138 avg HR (it ticked up a beat right at the last second). Not sure why so slow today.  Good run anyway.

Its the humidity and "sweating like a pig". Your workouts will become slower as the summer progresses, but don't worry about it. Stay the course, keep training and by the end of fall you'll be setting new PR's.

70% humidity.....welcome to my world.

MAF run Saturday

3.4 miles

11:23 average pace

140 average HR

MAF run Sunday

5.6 miles

10:58 average pace

137 average HR

MAF run today

3.85 miles

10:32 average pace

137 average HR

What was the difference between Saturday, Sunday and today? Saturday was 82, Sunny and 66 degree dewpoint. Sunday was 70, partly cloudy and 58 degree dewpoint. Today it was 58, overcast and 48 degree dewpoint.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

kfmfe04

Warm + Dry + Hard-Easy-Hard = Fast:  Short Day 45, 4AM HS Track, 26C, 22C dp, warm but dry, MAF=138

4k shodded 0:30:31 HR: 130 pace: 12'11"mpm

5k barefoot 0:34:26 (PB) HR: 135 pace: 11'00"mpm

Warmer than yesterday, but the air was relatively dry.  When I saw a 6'50"mpk pace in km 1 of the barefoot, I had to extend today's 4+4 to 4+5 to see if I could get a PB in the 5k.  11'00"mpm is a 5k PB for me (under MAF).  At 34:26, I can smell the 30:00 mark now!  Tomorrow is a long 10k + 5k.

After switching from 10k + 5k every day to a hard-easy-hard schedule, my feet have never felt stronger.  This is certainly an example of "less is more".

- Ken

My Training Log

npaden

Thanks for the input Burnt Toast.

I've tracked temperature and knew that made a big difference in my running but I guess I need to start tracking humidity too.  It makes almost as much of a difference as temperature!  Might be interesting to do some runs in the late evening when the temp is still up, but sun is low and the humidtity is down in the single digits and see how they compare on HR. 

Oh well, here's this mornings run.

4.13 miles, 11:00 pace, 137 avg HR.

68 degrees, 10 mph breeze out of the Southwest and 53% humidity, dewpoint 50 degrees. HR ticked up at the last second again, can't seem to keep from picking up the pace when I get close to the house. Good run, very encouraging after yesterday's super slow run.

kfmfe04

npaden,

I wouldn't sweat a 47 second pace difference at around an 11min pace - I am currently a bit slower than you and I get 1 min difference in pace quite often (and that's after being very consistent with my diet, when/where I train, and rest).  It's really the overall trend that's important, and even then, I would take a lower average HR as just as big of an improvement as a faster pace.

Also, in my training, I usually gauge in the first warmup km whether or not a PB is possible.  If it is, I go for it, still staying under MAF, of course.  If not, I take it easy (going to MAF-10 or lower as a target) - this puts less stress on my system and I'm still going to get aerobic benefits from putting in the miles.  After six weeks of significant improvements, I'm confident that the improvements will continue to come for a while.  IMHO, there's no need to worry about a "fluke day".

Failed Double PB:  Long Day 46, 4AM HS Track, 26C, 23C dp, wet track, MAF=138

10k shodded 1:14:31 HR: 134 pace: 11'55"mpm

5k barefoot 0:35:07 HR: 134 pace: 11'13"mpm

My current modus operandi is to look at my warm-up first km as an indication of my chances of beating my 10k PB or 5k PB.  If I'm close, it means the environmental conditions and my rest/physical conditioning have lined up properly for that given morning.  Today looked like one of those days for both runs.  Towards the end of both runs, I was tempted to push it over the top to get my PB, but I took the long-term view, stayed under my MAF, and enjoyed the jogs instead.  Although I missed a PB for both runs, my body felt great!

Do I have a reason to be disappointed?

Let's dig up the records and have a look.  On Day 38, I had a double PB:

Exit Wogging, Enter Galloway RWR: Day 38, 4AM HS Track, 21C, 16C dp, clear & dry, MAF=138

10k shodded 1:14:10 (PB) HR: 134 pace: 11'52"mpm

5k barefoot 0:35:01 (PB) HR: 136 pace: 11'12"mpm

Eight days ago, I had a run that was only slightly faster than today, but check out the difference in temperature and dp!  21C=69.8F and 26C=78.8F, so we're talking about a 9F difference in temperature.  Also, my BF HR today was only 134 vs 136 eight days ago.  That's also an improvement.

So looking at the results from that perspective, I am certainly in better shape than I was 8 days ago.  Conclusion?

Today's Failed Double PB was an improvement compared to PB Day 38.

Tomorrow is a "take-it-easy" 4+4.  Need to chill as Saturday is a long 13+7.

- Ken

My Training Log

BeeRunB

53:00

3.17 miles

zone 105-120bpm  82°

Ran 18 minutes straight before having to walk to stay in the zone. That's an improvement.

--Jimmy Cool

npaden

So looking at the results from that perspective, I am certainly in better shape than I was 8 days ago.  Conclusion?

Today's Failed Double PB was an improvement compared to PB Day 38.

- Ken

100% agree.  The difference in the weather on those 2 days makes this mornings run more impressive.

Tomorrow morning is forecast for 20mph winds and 80% humidity here so I think I'm in for another slow pace in the morning.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

9.2  miles HR 120 /150

PR mileage month 250.7

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

npaden

Just when I thought I had the whole temperature, humidity, HR correleation figured out I get thrown a loop.

Slept in because I was thinking this workout would be another plodding along sweating like a pig episode like Tuesday morning.

66 degrees, 69% humidity and 15-20 mph wind.

Ended up only running 2.05 miles because of the late start and I'm planning on running my normal 6 miler tomorrow instead.

Results?  2.05 miles, 10:23 avg pace, 132 avg HR.

Conditions this morning were nearly identical to Tuesday when I had an avg pace of 11:47 except for the wind.  I guess maybe the wind today acted like an evaporative cooling mechanism vs. Tuesday when it was pretty much dead calm?

Today was a shorter run, but on mile 2 on Tuesday I had an avg pace of 11:28 with a net elevation drop of 28' and mile 2 this morning was an avg pace of 10:11 with the same net elevation drop of 28'.  HR graph is pretty much identical, my phone doesn't give an avg HR for each split, but looking at them they both ranged from 132 to 139 with the bulk of the time spent right around 135 and 136.

The human body sure is interesting.  Tuesday seemed overly slow to me and this morning seemed much faster than I would have expected, although I'm learning more and more to run by feel, my phone only tells me my HR once every 1/2 mile and I'm getting much more consistent at keeping in my range and when I fall out I usually know it before it tells me.  I wonder what the margin of error is on these HR monitors? 

BeeRunB

recovery

1.92 miles

32:00

105-120bpm

--JimmyCool

kfmfe04

The human body sure is interesting.  Tuesday seemed overly slow to me and this morning seemed much faster than I would have expected, although I'm learning more and more to run by feel, my phone only tells me my HR once every 1/2 mile and I'm getting much more consistent at keeping in my range and when I fall out I usually know it before it tells me.  I wonder what the margin of error is on these HR monitors? 

Well, it depends on what you mean by margin of error.  There is definitely a double time-lag when you are reading your HR in real-time (1. a physical lag between effort exerted and when the heart responds 2. an software lag caused by algorithmic rounding).  As for spikes in real-time HRM, the sensitivity vs stability setting in the software algorithm can definitely give you crazy high or low numbers, if the sensitivity is turned up too high.

If you are only getting your HR every 1/2 mile, you might be getting the average HR over the 1/2 mile instead of the instantaneous HR at the end of your 1/2 (not sure - you will have to check your manuals).   Otherwise, if your heartbeat is regular and your HRM is put on right (and there's no static electricity), a modern HRM is pretty accurate.  Also note that an irregular heartbeat can throw off the algorithms used to estimate your instantaneous HR.

Laid Back Friday:  Short Day 47, 4AM HS Track, 23C, 20C dp, drizzle->dry, MAF=138

4k shodded 0:30:25 HR: 124 pace: 12'09"mpm

4k barefoot 0:29:22 HR: 125 pace: 11'44"mpm

Tomorrow is the Saturday Long 13+7, so I decided to take it easy today despite the excellent conditions today - cooler and relatively dry compared to yesterday.  The fun part is, although I cranked the average MAF down to MAF-14 and MAF-13, the pace didn't deteriorate all that much.

In fact, in my BF run, I registered an all-time-high efficiency rating of 1.57 (previous high was 1.55 from the 5K BF PR on Day 45, two days ago).  My feet are happy, so I should be ready for tomorrow's run, as long as I go to sleep early enough tonight (always a challenge on Friday nights).

- Ken

My Training Log