Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

labhiker

6:30am, 3.25 miles at 119bpm(ave), light drizzle - humid.  Got off to a late start and kept it short and slow.  I thought a short run is better than no run.

6.5m on saturday and 15.2 on Sunday. 

Keeping all runs at low HR and simply logging the miles.  No complaints.

labhiker

One of the most enjoyable run workouts of the year today. This one gets me really excited about fall running.

MAF run

3.90 miles

0:37:20

Ave HR = 137 (3 below MAF of 140)

Ave pace = 9:35

Mile 1 = 9:32 / HR 131

Mile 2 = 9:33 / HR 138

Mile 3 = 9:34 / HR 139

Mile 4 = 9:39 / HR 140

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

12 miles

3:09

run 1:45/ walk 1:24

Haven't been on my feet this amount of time straight in many a year.

Have a great weekend. And to those who are racing: race well!

--JimmyCool

npaden

One of the most enjoyable run workouts of the year today. This one gets me really excited about fall running.

MAF run

3.90 miles

0:37:20

Ave HR = 137 (3 below MAF of 140)

Ave pace = 9:35

Mile 1 = 9:32 / HR 131

Mile 2 = 9:33 / HR 138

Mile 3 = 9:34 / HR 139

Mile 4 = 9:39 / HR 140

Very nice!  Not much creep on your pace or HR on that one.

I'm hoping once temperatures really start falling here there is a chance I might be able to break 10:00 avg pace on a 4 mile MAF run.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

12 miles

3:09

run 1:45/ walk 1:24

Haven't been on my feet this amount of time straight in many a year.

Have a great weekend. And to those who are racing: race well!

--JimmyCool

3:09 WTG!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

labhiker

12 miles - Great job keep on truckin.  Sounds like fun.

labhiker

I have not posted in a while.  My HRM was broken and I have been just running slow.  Three weeks ago I started running faster and strained a calf muscle.  First semi-injury since I started heart rate running running last November.  Convinced LHR running is the way to go.

On another matter, I have not purchased any new running gear (shoes, clothes, etc) since I bought my Go Runs in January.  I have been tempted but the advertisers are not getting my money!

I hope the fall weather is approaching all.  Cooler here in D/FW this weekend.

Chris

Another nice fall MAF run today.

5.15 miles

0:48:56

Ave. pace = 9:31

Ave. HR = 137

AF HR = 140

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

npaden

13.11 miles, 10:59 avg pace, 143 avg HR. evening run so a little warm for a long run. Had the time to get it in though so I did.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

4.40 miles, 9:54 avg pace, 135 avg HR. I broke 10:00 avg pace at (actually 1 beat below) MAF!! Didn't even realize I was running that fast until 1.5 miles in because I didn't hear my audio cues with the traffic noise. Had some bigger swings than I would like waiting on lights and taking pictures of the St. Louis arch and things like that, but I didn't pause my phone even with the waits and still broke 10:00. Biggest advantages were elevation (600' vs I normally run at 3,000') and I always seem to have a lower HR after a high effort workout and I ran a long run yesterday evening. Oh well, I'll take it, hopefully this is the start of a trend instead of an isolated incident!

npaden

Nasty day out, but cool temperatures so I decided to try my 6 mile route at MAF and see if I could break 10:00 pace.

Broke the 10:00 pace, but push my HR a couple beats high to get it there.

6.05 miles, 9:59 avg pace, 138 avg HR.

57 degrees, 83% humidity, DP 52, wind NNE at 20 mph.  Had to run the last 2 miles in complete darkness using a headlamp, roads a little muddy and slipped a little in the dark. Was at 9:55 pace and 135 HR at mile 4, but then turned into the wind and it was dark by then and that was the muddiest part of the road as well.  Still good to get in a run though.

BeeRunB

10 miles (9 run/1 walk)

2:14:00

--Jimmy Cool

labhiker

Jimmy - nice LR.  WTG and nice MAF improvements

5:50am - 54F, 5.11miles at 121bmp ave. 

RHR continues to be elevated around 55bpm (typically around high 140s-low 150s). 

Not sure why its staying high? Question if its dehydration as I may have become lazy and not drinking much water these day, otherwise I'll claim added stress.. 

I've been trying something new these days to shock my body and hopefully improve both fitness and running performance.  I started some light weight training at the gym.  I have not lifted weights in nearly six + years and thought it was time to tune things up a little.  Nothing special, just doing several sets on the machines for about an hour 1-2 days per week.  Two sets - (1) x 15 and (2) x 12 or 10 reps.  All light weights and high reps. 

I've been wearing my HR monitor and noticed that there is no significant spikes in HR therefore believe it is all good and within allowable MAF training.

I'm curious if others have been adding similar circuit training to their typical running routine and if so how were the results?  Because my "old" body has not touched a single weight or gym machine in years Im not sure how long it may take to see improvement, however trust it will all be good and help my running performance.  On average I've been running about 30-35miles per week and am hoping to hit the gym one or two days per week.  After a few weeks of simple machine work I hope to add a few more exercises and possibly gravitate toward the free weights for lunches, dead lifts, etc...  and add more work core work on the stability ball.

I'm trying the strength training approach hoping to improve my current running performance.  Things seem to have plateaued for the past few weeks with very little if any improvement in MAF performance.  If this doesn't work I'll likely experiment with >MAF speed work.

labhiker

BeeRunB

Lab,

That continually elevated RHR is an indicator your body is under some kind of abnormal stress or you are hugging the line of OT. You might try running under MAF until it returns to normal. Or take some extra rest.

--JimmyCool

labhiker

Jimmy - I agree. 

The crazy part is all my runs are generally under MAF.  For the past several months (2-4) I have tried to drop my average HR even lower hoping to pick up additional fitness.  With the exceptions of a few momentary spikes (15-30seconds) all my runs are likely averaging around MAF-10 +/-.  At times I question if Im spending too much time at sub-MAF.

labhiker