Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys.  They didn't work, though!  I had a nice run until my stomach reflux got the best of me.  Still, marathon # 12 is done!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

npaden

8.09 miles on the treadmill tonight.  9:53 avg pace, 133 avg HR.

Longest distance ever for me on a treadmill.

Starting to think maybe my treadmill isn't calibrated right, I struggled at 6.0 mph on a hotel treadmill on the road last week.

Starting to get into the meat of my marathon training plan, 48.0 miles last week, 47.7 miles this week and I think 53 miles on tap for next week.  Already set my monthly mileage PR at 165 with 4 more days to go, should finish the week right around 185 or so if everything goes well.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Docket_Rocket

Are you doing all your marathon training runs at maffetone or are you adding speedwork? I added speedwork to mine but I would be interested to see if any anybody maffetoned it's way to a marathon PR.

8.09 miles on the treadmill tonight.  9:53 avg pace, 133 avg HR.

Longest distance ever for me on a treadmill.

Starting to think maybe my treadmill isn't calibrated right, I struggled at 6.0 mph on a hotel treadmill on the road last week.

Starting to get into the meat of my marathon training plan, 48.0 miles last week, 47.7 miles this week and I think 53 miles on tap for next week.  Already set my monthly mileage PR at 165 with 4 more days to go, should finish the week right around 185 or so if everything goes well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

npaden

I'm following the Hansons Plan so plenty of time spent well over my MAF rate.

There are several who have posted in the forum that have completed marathons with all of their training strictly has MAF before the race though and some of them have posted some really good times.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, I'll surf through some more.

I'm following the Hansons Plan so plenty of time spent well over my MAF rate.

There are several who have posted in the forum that have completed marathons with all of their training strictly has MAF before the race though and some of them have posted some really good times.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Chasing the bus

Yesterday was "crosstraining", I snowmobiled 40 backcountry miles in -20 windchill. Then I drank too much coffee, stayed up too late, slept 5 hrs, (enough excuses yet?), and ran 8 miles this morning at 12:30, avg. HR 123.

This long run so close to the last one means I don't need to worry about a treadmill long run this week, which is most likely all I'll have access to. And tomorrow is a rest day/travel day.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Are you doing all your marathon training runs at maffetone or are you adding speedwork? I added speedwork to mine but I would be interested to see if any anybody maffetoned it's way to a marathon PR.

I checked my log. I did Callaway Gardens 2011 in 3:57: 57  did 95% maff. The speed work I did was about a week or two before the race. In retrospect I believe I would have progressed faster if I had done speed work. Did MAFF for over 2 years before adding speed work. Did not want to risk injure. I  think you can PR without speed work but in may take a very long time. I also ran 40 miles  a week (2011).  No speed work 3:57. Speed work 3:37(BQ).

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Nice, runnerclay.

I did 4 recovery miles at super turtle slow pace and 139HR.  Not bad for first run post marathon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I'll check in here sometimes Smile

last low HR run was this wednesday... 4.7miles 40mins, HR between 156-163 after warmup, pace ~8:30 min/mile

I used to do MAF runs at 153bpm because that's what the formula gave me... I don't do runs often there anymore (at 155-160 instead for my slow easy runs) but for comparison, pace would be around 9-ish min/mile at the 153 HR. started out in 2010 at 14:30 min/mile at that HR Smile

happy running to everyone and if applicable, keep improving! Smile

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning at 147HR and 10:48mm.  Very nice and easy run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

12 miles. Computer down. Unable to upload HR.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Chasing the bus

Warning, this post is mostly a whine...

Tried running thursday night. the right knee/high outside shin pain came back at 1 mile. Forced to stop.

Yesterday morning HR 49, feeling good. Watched some videos on Pose running, did a few easy drills during the day and rolled the legs. After work went to gym. I foam rolled muscles good before running, started slower, working on form, everything going well, except SLOW! HR/pace just really slow, and kept backing down pace to well below last MAFF test pace. It didn't really feel good, either, just tired, even at that snail pace. I could see the faster cadence and form tweeks impact on HR, using different muscles, it was interesting.

This morning, HR up to 58! And my left knee (the one with the old skiing injury) feels like it's wrecked. No way to make my mileage goal this week, after thursdays miss, but if I don't run tonight, it'll really be a huge miss. Yet, with that resting HR, and my knee, I know running again is a bad idea. It just seems like every time I get near 20MPW I get set back. Should I go back to the elliptical for a couple of days a week? That'll wreck my mileage, too, but that's just a number, and if that's what it takes to run, it's better than not running, I guess.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

John

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

Long day today- 27 miles at hr 139. 11:54 pace. I started in 2"-3" of fresh snow, so I wore the new Pure Grit for traction. My regular long shoe is the Pure Flow, and I think this version of the Grit is much improved over the previous one. It seems to have quite a bit more room in the toe box, which kept me from getting the previous version in the first place.

Started with a Run 4 min/ Walk 1 min interval since I am coming off an illness. I had quite a bit of HR creep starting with mile 19 or 20, and at 21 I switched to a 3/2 interval. My pace was a bit slower than my last 25 miler by about :20 per mile, but I feel really good this evening and didn't totally wreck my day. We'll see how tomorrow's 15 miler goes.

Chasing the bus

... I think this version of the Grit is much improved over the previous one. It seems to have quite a bit more room in the toe box...

I recently got the Pure Drift road shoes, for that reason. Even though I had to go a full size larger to get the length I needed, they were wide enough for my 2E feet. I like running in them a lot. I guess I need to check out the pure grit too.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Hope those hurt or recovering get back on track soon.

I did 10 miles @ 145 HR yesterday (10:54mm) and 5 recovery miles @ 135HR (11:40mm) today.  I could barely breathe during the 10 miler so the asthma was at its highest and was still able to push a good pace at that HR.  Not bad.

Damaris

Fundraising Page