Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

Docket_Rocket

The was power was cut off on purpose for 30 hours to fix the grid on Monday and Tuesday and my asthma almost made me go to the hospital.  Hurricanes never come by when it's not 100F so the house was at 92F when the power came up!

Ran 7 with 2 @ HMP last night and 10 tonight.  All TM. Because it's too hot outside.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

2.2 mile walk-- day 26

Longest streak is 27 days

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Nice to see you emerge from the wallop of Irma and her aftermath, Damaris. You , too, Ron. 27 days is a great streak. 

45:00 MAF test

as part of a 1:32:00 run

for 7 miles.

Have a great weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Ran 10 on Wednesday, 4 yesterday and 5 today.  Glad to still have power. There are still some areas near me without.  Sheesh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

28 days. 3 mile walk.

New goal is 38 days. Scott Ludwig has 38 years.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

MarkS2

When is your marathon, Mark?  Good luck!  I'm in the same boat.  I'm traveling to Chicago on business next week, then San Diego the week of the marathon.  No idea what I'm going to do in Chicago but the week of the race I will probably not run much at all.

My race is in St. George Utah on Oct. 7.  I'm going with a couple of buddies and we are turning it into a guys Vegas weekend.  

Twin Cities, Oct. 1st....

SD_BlackHills

Twin Cities, Oct. 1st....

That's a good one!  Good luck!  Hardcore Twins/Vikings fan here by the way 

Yesterday I capped off a 92.2 mile week (last week before taper).  Again, all miles except the end of the long run were well below MAF.  MAF honestly just feels too damn fast anymore and is not sustainable for several days in a row.  I honestly think it would beat me up, whether I add the 5 beats in for good health or not (I probably should).  My age is 40 so it should be 145 bpm.

I actually had a 12.5 mile run a few days ago where my average HR was 115 bpm.  This was at an average pace of 9:46 per mile.  I've noticed lately that if I just run easy without looking at my watch at all, that my pace seems to vary between 8:30 to 10:00 depending on hills/wind and my average heart rate is almost always 123 bpm.  It's almost creepy that it lands on this same number so frequently.

The end of my long run went very, very well.  Long run objective was 18 miles with the first 15 miles EZ and the last 5 miles @ 80% MaxHR. The last 5 miles had a 10 mph head wind and was slightly uphill.  Average pace over the last 5 miles @ 80% into the wind was 6:37 per mile. Taper time and feeling confident!!!

BeeRunB

SD, so awesome that you're at a point where MAF speed feels too fast for training. Mark Allen-land. 

1:30:00 last night

35:00 recovery today

That's a good one!  Good luck!  Hardcore Twins/Vikings fan here by the way 

Yesterday I capped off a 92.2 mile week (last week before taper).  Again, all miles except the end of the long run were well below MAF.  MAF honestly just feels too damn fast anymore and is not sustainable for several days in a row.  I honestly think it would beat me up, whether I add the 5 beats in for good health or not (I probably should).  My age is 40 so it should be 145 bpm.

I actually had a 12.5 mile run a few days ago where my average HR was 115 bpm.  This was at an average pace of 9:46 per mile.  I've noticed lately that if I just run easy without looking at my watch at all, that my pace seems to vary between 8:30 to 10:00 depending on hills/wind and my average heart rate is almost always 123 bpm.  It's almost creepy that it lands on this same number so frequently.

The end of my long run went very, very well.  Long run objective was 18 miles with the first 15 miles EZ and the last 5 miles @ 80% MaxHR. The last 5 miles had a 10 mph head wind and was slightly uphill.  Average pace over the last 5 miles @ 80% into the wind was 6:37 per mile. Taper time and feeling confident!!!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

SD great weekly mileage

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

SD_BlackHills

SD, so awesome that you're at a point where MAF speed feels too fast for training. Mark Allen-land. 

1:30:00 last night

35:00 recovery today

Haha, definitely not Mark Allen-land.  I wish I could run 5 minute miles!

It is weird though how when I started this method last December, that 140 bpm felt super duper easy and was agonizingly slow.  Today, 140 bpm doesn't feel overly hard but I'm definitely pushing it and is wayyyy too fast to do day in and day out.  I've also noticed that my resting heart rate is extremely low.  Most nights my Garmin will report somewhere in the upper 30's.  Yet, when I did my max heart rate test, it came out as 206 bpm.  When I run super hard (5K effort) I can easily push my HR over 190.  I guess that means I have a fairly large heart rate reserve although I don't see how that actually benefits me.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Gap Trestle marathon in Meyersdale ,PA. Did the no t- shirt option. Out and back. 2.05 miles south. 4.5 north. Packed dirt and fine gravel. Long rolling inclines. Great RD and volunteers. Start and finish line is at a train station. The race crosses the 910 ft Salisbury Viaduct which is 101 ft high. The first crossing was foggy an d uneventful. The second not so uneventful. The view was perfect for sightseeing the countryside. The turnaround was at the end of the viaduct(.3 mile). I needed to run . 6 miles over and back. 50 yards from the end I can feel a panic attack coming on. I wanted to regurgitate. There were windmills in the background. My mantra was " Focus focus focus. Watch the windmills. Two steps off the viaducts mild panic attack hit me. Breath in. Blow it out. I walked for the next~4 minutes. It took ~ 20 minutes to recover. Marathon # 95 in the books. 6:09: x x. Marathon # 96 tomorrow 8am.
                        Flew into BWI. Rent an SUV from Thrifty for 3 days($126 w/ins) 170 mile drive to Charlie's motel in Frostburg,MD ($55). Clean room, noisy refrigerator and a/c. Unplugged the refrigerator and turned off the a/c. The 3rd week in September is was hot. The tiles in the shower were clean but uninviting. I carry shower shoes as a rule. The water was lukewarm. I would stay again.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Dr. Phil wrote in his books that some of his athletes got so fast at MAF that it became too stressful for them to do the bulk of their training at that HR. He created his "aerobic intervals" for them. Done like intervals with the fast reps done at MAF. Mark Allen-land contains reltivity to ones own potential. You're in aerobic interval county, and that's awesome. Nice work.

Haha, definitely not Mark Allen-land.  I wish I could run 5 minute miles!

It is weird though how when I started this method last December, that 140 bpm felt super duper easy and was agonizingly slow.  Today, 140 bpm doesn't feel overly hard but I'm definitely pushing it and is wayyyy too fast to do day in and day out.  I've also noticed that my resting heart rate is extremely low.  Most nights my Garmin will report somewhere in the upper 30's.  Yet, when I did my max heart rate test, it came out as 206 bpm.  When I run super hard (5K effort) I can easily push my HR over 190.  I guess that means I have a fairly large heart rate reserve although I don't see how that actually benefits me.

BeeRunB

Great write-up, Ron! Congrats on overcoming panic. Watching the windmills activates the inner Don Quixote. Also, kudos on your 95th-freakin'-marathon. 

Today:

13.14 miles

3:06:00

Gap Trestle marathon in Meyersdale ,PA. Did the no t- shirt option. Out and back. 2.05 miles south. 4.5 north. Packed dirt and fine gravel. Long rolling inclines. Great RD and volunteers. Start and finish line is at a train station. The race crosses the 910 ft Salisbury Viaduct which is 101 ft high. The first crossing was foggy an d uneventful. The second not so uneventful. The view was perfect for sightseeing the countryside. The turnaround was at the end of the viaduct(.3 mile). I needed to run . 6 miles over and back. 50 yards from the end I can feel a panic attack coming on. I wanted to regurgitate. There were windmills in the background. My mantra was " Focus focus focus. Watch the windmills. Two steps off the viaducts mild panic attack hit me. Breath in. Blow it out. I walked for the next~4 minutes. It took ~ 20 minutes to recover. Marathon # 95 in the books. 6:09: x x. Marathon # 96 tomorrow 8am.
                            Flew into BWI. Rent an SUV from Thrifty for 3 days($126 w/ins) 170 mile drive to Charlie's motel in Frostburg,MD ($55). Clean room, noisy refrigerator and a/c. Unplugged the refrigerator and turned off the a/c. The 3rd week in September is was hot. The tiles in the shower were clean but uninviting. I carry shower shoes as a rule. The water was lukewarm. I would stay again.

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job, Ron!

I have been MIA.  First, the TM died and I got a $10 gym (which is state of the art fantastic) and ran my LR last week there.  My TomTom said almost 19 miles, the TM said 15, my calves were super tight at the end and on fire and I couldn't finish the full 18 miles.  I assume the truth of how many miles I ran was in between the two gadgets, which meant I ran the miles too fast causing my calves to be bad.  I couldn't walk for like two days.  AND THEN, I got food poisoning on Wednesday, MY BIRTHDAY.  FFS.  At the same time, my parents were being hit by hurricane Maria on my birthday as well.  Spent Wednesday and Thursday at home.  Anyway, finally got to run on Friday and ran 7 that day, 5 the next and 20 yesterday (all on my TM since the parts came in and my husband installed it).  Finally feeling human, sheesh.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

Dr. Phil wrote in his books that some of his athletes got so fast at MAF that it became too stressful for them to do the bulk of their training at that HR. He created his "aerobic intervals" for them. Done like intervals with the fast reps done at MAF. Mark Allen-land contains reltivity to ones own potential. You're in aerobic interval county, and that's awesome. Nice work.

Ohhhh, interesting.  I wouldn't say that MAF is interval level fast for me (that would be amazing!) but it's definitely not something I can do day in and day out.  Running at about MAF minus 15 or 20 bpm is the only way I can get the high mileage in for marathon training.  I could probably run 50 miles per week at MAF without wearing down but definitely not 70-90.

Good info, jimmyb!