Low HR Training

Transition from treadmill to outdoor running (Read 409 times)

Hi, All!

For the past 3 months I have been doing all of my running on a treadmill.  This was due to the fact that it was dark before and after work, and I do the majority of my running in a wooded park or cemetery.  I was struggling with this at first, but through the recommendations of many of you, I increased my warm up time and saw good improvement from that alone.  I also replaced the battery in my Garmin 305 and that solved the problem of some inaccurate HR readings I was getting for a while. 

In the past few weeks I've seen tremendous improvement in my pace!  All of the sudden, I went from running between 11:30-12 m/m pace at MAF, to a 10-10:20 m/m pace at the same (or even lower!) HR.  I think the treadmill running has really helped in the sense of controlling my pace to exactly where I need to be. 

My concern now is how I'm going to transition back to outdoor running.  I prefer to be outside, but i feel I've become dependent on the treadmill and the "control" that comes with it.  I saw limited improvements in my pace/HR when I originally started MAF-based running outside in September.

Any thoughts on what I should expect when I head back outside? 

Shannon
    gregw

What should you expect?  You should expect to be happier since you like running outside, if you let go of worrying about your pace!  There are hills outside so that will slow you down (assuming you've been running with no incline).  On the other hand, it is probably cooler at this time of year, which will help your pace.  The net difference depends on your terrain.  Don't worry about it.

You can control your pace warming up outside without dialing in the pace on a machine.  If your body doesn't tell you the pace, your HRM will.  Just go slow and let the heart slowly creep up.  If you're getting to you MAF too quickly, then slow down.  (Make sure you're getting good contact and readings in the first miles.  Lots of HRMs are wonky before you break a sweat and require some conducting gel/cream.)

BeeRunB

Congrats on your progress, Shannon! Nice breakthrough.

When I transition back to outside, I usually experience sore quads. I don't have a downhill function on my TM. Even the small up and down variations on what seems to be flat will add up. By the end of the first week, I 'm fine.

One way to do things is to record your HR performance on the treadmill per mile, half mile, whatever. For example:

mile 1: 115 ave HR

mile 2: 125 ave HR

mile 3: 127 ave HR

Mile 4: 130 ave hr

When you run outside. Keep your HR controlled by controlling pace, trying to average the same HR for each mile. That way, you are doing the same thing as inside, regardless of the variables. If you like to run at MAF, then that's even easier. Just know that if you are running at the same HR, you are doing the same workout as indoors,even if it is faster or slower.

Good luck. Enjoy!

--Jimmy